Now-defunct-thread-that-should-not-appear-in-google-search.

Cilph

I've downloaded this but I can't get this to work properly. When I boot the game up, I can see all the parts in the VAB, and can launch the rocket to orbit. I can see the new UI below the time warp buttons with what looks like a red calculator, and I have the UI at the bottom right of the screen in the orbit map which I presume is to toggle the connections between satellites etc, and a red dot appears over the KSC in the same map mode.

However I don't think the mod is working, because I can't make any connections between spacecraft or KSC, I assume when the mod is working correctly you can right click antennas to make connections, yet, at the moment I can't. I've read probes only have the ability to be controlled within 3km of a connection, so I tried launching a rocket with just a probe core, however the probe remains controllable up into orbit around Kerbin. IDK what is going wrong, I've tried uninstalling all my other mods and that doesn't cure it, I've downloaded the file multiple times and no luck.

Am I doing something wrong, is there a beginners guide to this at all?

I tried them all in various different combinations in the hope I might stumble onto how to do it. However I do think I have a faulty install or something given probes continue to remain controllable beyond ranges that just a probe core could manage, if I'm understanding the way the mod works correctly.

I tried them all in various different combinations in the hope I might stumble onto how to do it. However I do think I have a faulty install or something given probes continue to remain controllable beyond ranges that just a probe core could manage, if I'm understanding the way the mod works correctly.

Are you seeing any visual cue of connection in map view -- or does the little icon in the top left turn green? (can't find a screen shot) Make sure none of the icons in the lower right display Xs.

Even with the standard red+grey antenna, probes and rockets can communicate to KSP if they're close enough and Kerbin doesn't block the line of sight. You only need the dish antennas for 3Million KM +

If you do have the mod installed properly, and you do have connection to your probe (and the ability to move it around) then you are likely fine ---but just to be sure, let a probe go behind the planet and see if you can still move it around. If not, your'e golden (and possibly out one probe).

I do agree that this mod has a steep learning curve, but once it's clear what is going on it makes the game tons of fun.

-me

I've downloaded this but I can't get this to work properly. When I boot the game up, I can see all the parts in the VAB, and can launch the rocket to orbit. I can see the new UI below the time warp buttons with what looks like a red calculator, and I have the UI at the bottom right of the screen in the orbit map which I presume is to toggle the connections between satellites etc, and a red dot appears over the KSC in the same map mode.

However I don't think the mod is working, because I can't make any connections between spacecraft or KSC, I assume when the mod is working correctly you can right click antennas to make connections, yet, at the moment I can't. I've read probes only have the ability to be controlled within 3km of a connection, so I tried launching a rocket with just a probe core, however the probe remains controllable up into orbit around Kerbin. IDK what is going wrong, I've tried uninstalling all my other mods and that doesn't cure it, I've downloaded the file multiple times and no luck.

Am I doing something wrong, is there a beginners guide to this at all?

A screen shot or two might help to determine whats going on (so we can see what dishes/antenna you are using). You are correct though that a rocket with just a probe core should stop working at around 3000m. I was doing a test with kOS earlier today and as soon as the rocket hit 3k it stopped and started going back down, and as soon as it got in range again is started going back up until it was out of range (it kept doing this over and over again until it ran out of fuel lol). Was checking to see if the source I downloaded and managed to compile had kOS test integration, which it did not (had to get the kOS fork Cilph has on his git hub). How ever I couldn't get it to compile for some reason, but thats another post/comment for another time when I have a chance to look at it again.

Not pushing, but is there a 'next version' coming and what is there to work on yet?

Read:

...Anyhow, my job hunt has now evolved into an apartment hunt. Expect the next update to be around the time 0.23 comes out, since I'll have to fix the science system then anyway.

Also to

Edited by Sma

For those that are having trouble getting a connection you can try this http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/0-18-4-hermes-deep-space-probe/

and in RT make and a cfg that looks like this

@PART[LH_Hermes]

{

MODULE

{

name = ModuleSPU

}

MODULE

{

name = ModuleRTAntennaPassive

TechRequired = unmannedTech

OmniRange = 60000000000

EnergyCost = 0.93

TRANSMITTER

{

PacketInterval = 0.3

PacketSize = 2

PacketResourceCost = 15.0

}

}

}

I don't know how you get those figures. However:

1) You can use the omni antenna (Communotron 32) with 5000Km range: that has way more range than required as you can sit your satellites just outside of Mun's SOI at 2429.56 Km. However I would prefer to use dishes, so don't have even that range restriction.

2) With any satellite while at a distance of 2429.56 from Mun's center, you have visibility of 45.89% of the surface. Two such satellites on (almost) opposite sides cover 91.77 % of the surface (they don't have to be exactly opposite, as the angle each of them has between Mun's center and the tangent to the surface is 4.72°, they may be at an angle of 4.72° in relation to the Mun's center). Of course, the more distant the satellite, the larger the surface covered. At 5000 Km from Mun's center, Mun's radius is seen at an angle of 2.29°, each satellite covers 48.0% of the surface, and two such satellites 96.0 %.

This actually must be true... my numbers was just what I've memorized. ^_^" Such a pity that picture dissapeared - it was clear and simple scheme.

But anyway, thank you very much to have clarified my question!

First of all, thanks for the amazing mod. I love the additional challenge, I'm still working out things I need to do for successful interplantary missions. RT2 is hard and I love it.

However, I keep encountering a problem I feel probably should not be there. When I create a maneuver node, RT seems to create dozens (maybe hundreds) of signal delay commands to the Queue. They have the active vessel's delay and are spaced about 0.02 sec. apart. This apparently strains my computer, so KSP freezes and it takes several minutes before they start disappearing (the delay runs out). Yesterday I tried to take a screenshot but KSP froze completely and I had to restart it.

Anyone has any ideas what could be the problem?

Thanks!

Hello all

I'm loving RemoteTech 2 - it has brought lots of interest over the past week! I have a couple of questions.

1. Vehicles with a MechJeb2 on them are okay when very close to mission control (e.g. during the launch) but once they get further away 100km+ (ish) the throttle control starts to become really glitchy and really stubborn/hard to adjust. Everything else (e.g. RCS) remains responsive. Any ideas about this one?

2. Is there any way to set a priority order for the high gain directional Reflectron GX-128? There seems to be only one possible target, ideally I'd like to have a priority order. When I send a vessel away from Kerbin it would be great to instruct the antenna to link with satellite 1, if not then try 2, etc.

3. Question about datalink relay!

Here's the scenario:

I have a part-spent 2nd stage orbiting Minmus: http://i.imgur.com/XuKKN1v.jpg

It has an omnidirectional link with a very capable comms and mapping satellite in a lower Minmus circular orbit (as you can see in the SS). This link is established with Communotron 32 antennas. Unfortunately, my MinmusExplorer comms sat isn't relaying any data back to the Kerbin geosynchronous comms network.

When I switch to the MinmusExplorer comms sat it would appear there is a suitably supporting datalink: http://i.imgur.com/GSOC6Vp.jpg

Yet I am unable to command anything on the part-spent 2nd stage (yep, it is powered, has batteries, solar arrays, a MechJeb2 and is ready to go)

Obviously I'm doing something silly - at first I thought the omnidirectional Communotron's don't support data, but then I realised they must do because I use them on my 1st and 2nd stages when launching vehicles from Mission Control Kerbin. So I'm kinda confused! I'd really love to de-orbit this spent part into Minmus but I have absolutely no control over it right now.

Any help would be really appreciated :-)

Thanks!

Edited by Zatie12

Hello all

I'm loving RemoteTech 2 - it has brought lots of interest over the past week! I have a couple of questions.

1. Vehicles with a MechJeb2 on them are okay when very close to mission control (e.g. during the launch) but once they get further away 100km+ (ish) the throttle control starts to become really glitchy and really stubborn/hard to adjust. Everything else (e.g. RCS) remains responsive. Any ideas about this one?

2. Is there any way to set a priority order for the high gain directional Reflectron GX-128? There seems to be only one possible target, ideally I'd like to have a priority order. When I send a vessel away from Kerbin it would be great to instruct the antenna to link with satellite 1, if not then try 2, etc.

3. Question about datalink relay!

Here's the scenario:

I have a part-spent 2nd stage orbiting Minmus: http://i.imgur.com/XuKKN1v.jpg

It has an omnidirectional link with a very capable comms and mapping satellite in a lower Minmus circular orbit (as you can see in the SS). This link is established with Communotron 32 antennas. Unfortunately, my MinmusExplorer comms sat isn't relaying any data back to the Kerbin geosynchronous comms network.

When I switch to the MinmusExplorer comms sat it would appear there is a suitably supporting datalink: http://i.imgur.com/GSOC6Vp.jpg

Yet I am unable to command anything on the part-spent 2nd stage (yep, it is powered, has batteries, solar arrays, a MechJeb2 and is ready to go)

Obviously I'm doing something silly - at first I thought the omnidirectional Communotron's don't support data, but then I realised they must do because I use them on my 1st and 2nd stages when launching vehicles from Mission Control Kerbin. So I'm kinda confused! I'd really love to de-orbit this spent part into Minmus but I have absolutely no control over it right now.

Any help would be really appreciated :-)

Thanks!

Does the ship have a connection to Kerbin via "active vessel" targeting, or is the satellite at Kerbin targeting the relay ship? Because when you switch from the ship to the probe, the active vessel wont be the relay ship anymore, so if it doesn't have a dedicated connection it's not going to be in a condition to relay the signal to the probe.

Your Kerbin commsats are targeting the active vessel only. When you switch to your spent stage the dishes target the omni antenna, which is out of the omni range. You'll need a couple commsats pointed permanently at Minmus or dedicated at pointing at the vessel in the lower orbit.

Can someone give me a list of mods this doesn't work with!!!!!!!!!! >:(

Every non-stock probe body will need some edits (modulemanager is perfect for this and you can keep the cfg with the other remotetech files). Simply because they don,t have the SPU.

Apart from that, You might have a throttling issue with MechJeb's autopilot, it can be changed with a cfg edit mentionned in the thread.

(Was something wrong in your install ? 1¼ hours between posts seems urgent...)

Can someone give me a list of mods this doesn't work with!!!!!!!!!! >:(

Your best bet is to try it yourself. Different mods could cause oddities to happen, and no one has a database of what mod mixes are going to work. Try it and see if it works. If it doesn't, think about what might have changed. Try a new mix. Or, you can start with stock and install mods one by one until something breaks. Then you will need to figure out what broke, why it broke, and what you can do to fix it.

I have three probes in perfect geosynchronous orbits 120 degrees apart from each other, (I used save file editing to make them perfect) when I look at the map all of the probes signals connect for ~five seconds then they all the loose signal, and when I launch a probe it looses connection and I can't control it. All the satellites have enough power and range for the signal to be sent, but they don't "talk" to each other, it's like RC2 hates me?

Mod list:

- B9 Aerospace

- BioMass

- DeadlyReentry

- DYJmisc - gatling gun

- EditorExtensions

- EnhancedNavBall

- ExsurgentEngineer

- FerramAerospaceResearch

- Firespitter - just the .dll

- FSflightPath

- HexCans

- HullCameraVDS

- KerbalAttachmentSystem

- ProceduralFairings

- Kethane

- KinTechAnimation

- kommit nucleonics

- MagicSmokeIndustries - Infernal Robotics

- masTerTourch - Dust Experiment

- MechJeb2

- ModularFeulTanks

- ModuleManager1.5.dll

- NavyFish - Docking Port Allignment

- NovaPunch2

- PartHighlighter

- PersistantTrails

- Procedural Wings

- RCSBuildAid

- RemoteTech2

- ResGen.dll

- RLA PowerGeneration

- Romfarer Lazor System

- Squad - Duh

- ThunderAerospace - TAC Life Support

- TTNeverUnload

- UniverseReplacer

- WarpPlugin

Please help :)

That is WAY too many mods to know where to begin. Start with RC2 and add those mods one by one until you have problems. Make a list for us. I am otherwise not touching your problem with a ten foot pole.

Well, that is a lot of work. The best thing to do is disable half of the mods. If the problem persists, switch to the other half. If you know which half the mod is in, you do the same thing but with a quarter of the mods, et cetera.

That way you will not have to start up KSP 37 times.

Well, that is a lot of work. The best thing to do is disable half of the mods. If the problem persists, switch to the other half. If you know which half the mod is in, you do the same thing but with a quarter of the mods, et cetera.

That way you will not have to start up KSP 37 times.

I'll start tomorrow, got to go to bed. I'll tell you the one's that don't work after I get out of school tomorrow.

That's one big pot of mod soup there.

The best thing to do is disable half of the mods. If the problem persists, switch to the other half. If you know which half the mod is in, you do the same thing but with a quarter of the mods, et cetera.

Except if it's some sort of interaction between two mods in different halves. With that many mods, narrowing down the issue could be quite a task. That's one of the problems with a request of this type. Very few people are going to have the exact same KSP setup, so each person could end up with bizarre results.

I have three probes in perfect geosynchronous orbits 120 degrees apart from each other, (I used save file editing to make them perfect) when I look at the map all of the probes signals connect for ~five seconds then they all the loose signal, and when I launch a probe it looses connection and I can't control it. All the satellites have enough power and range for the signal to be sent, but they don't "talk" to each other, it's like RC2 hates me?

Please help :)

The way you describe it, you might be playing in the outskirts of the Communotron 32's range. The triangle between the three has about 6000km per side.

Your Kerbin commsats are targeting the active vessel only. When you switch to your spent stage the dishes target the omni antenna, which is out of the omni range. You'll need a couple commsats pointed permanently at Minmus or dedicated at pointing at the vessel in the lower orbit.

You are indeed correct, thanks!

A screen shot or two might help to determine whats going on (so we can see what dishes/antenna you are using). You are correct though that a rocket with just a probe core should stop working at around 3000m. I was doing a test with kOS earlier today and as soon as the rocket hit 3k it stopped and started going back down, and as soon as it got in range again is started going back up until it was out of range (it kept doing this over and over again until it ran out of fuel lol). Was checking to see if the source I downloaded and managed to compile had kOS test integration, which it did not (had to get the kOS fork Cilph has on his git hub). How ever I couldn't get it to compile for some reason, but thats another post/comment for another time when I have a chance to look at it again.

Ok so this is the set up I have with just a Com-16 (though I have tried putting up other satelites and getting similar results)

qcREept.jpg

And this is the associated map mode.

321pGqG.jpg

It seems to me most if not all the static UI is there but I'm unable to actually interact with the mod at all. It's worth noting that the other satellite in the picture has only a probe core yet remains controllable despite being out of sight of KSC.