Now-defunct-thread-that-should-not-appear-in-google-search.

Cilph

I've got to say, this mod is awesome. Can't wait to start branching out into the solar system :)

On another note, would a "Zenith" option for dish targeting be possible to add? It would make things easier to hook up with satellite networks, and also create more motivation to use more than three per ring, as you could create very comprehensive coverage.

On a third note, has anyone tried making a ring around the Jool system? How difficult is equatorial work with unmanned vehicles there?

AeroProbe isnt in the new RT2 v1.3.3 are u asking if some 1 can take it out of well it was the old RT2 ? and put in the new RT2 ?

I know that. However I also know it will be added back in eventually. I am wanting one that doesn't need RT2 to work because I like the looks of it.

Maybe I don't understand this mod enough to get it to work correctly but I can not get it to allow commands to be relayed to craft within the immediate area. I have a small synchronus satellite net setup around Kerbin that should allow commands to be relayed back and forth to the Mun and Minimus but my remote probes and such just head out and then do nothing. Most of them have flown off into the other areas and have no connections with Mission Control or the satellites I target them to. So I am going to read about this a bunch more before I attempt to use it again.

I'm setting up an interplanetary network, and I'm having occasional outages that I can't track down. Is there any log or way of finding out what link in the relay chain got broken when a probe loses connection?

-B

Maybe I don't understand this mod enough to get it to work correctly but I can not get it to allow commands to be relayed to craft within the immediate area. I have a small synchronus satellite net setup around Kerbin that should allow commands to be relayed back and forth to the Mun and Minimus but my remote probes and such just head out and then do nothing. Most of them have flown off into the other areas and have no connections with Mission Control or the satellites I target them to. So I am going to read about this a bunch more before I attempt to use it again.

Most likely you aren't connecting your dishes in both directions, make sure they're active and pointing at each other.

Edited by Grays

So I have a 3-way geosynchronous satellite setup at 2868,75 km,

a single one at 300km and I was trying to launch a new one with a dish for missions to mun and minmus.

When I decouple my core I de-orbit the rocket with some solid fuel boosters.

When I try to go to space center or anything else, I just get the blue screen.

Mouseover reveals there is something to click on, just not visible.

http://imgur.com/iwhJZIg

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8uUoTgcUlQuNHJGbnZyZGJHdjg/edit?usp=sharing

This is the last quicksave I have before it fails as described above.

Other mods are mechjeb, engineer redux, KW, B9, Dealy Reentry, Novapunch.

No mechjeb was used in any craft in this save.

I would love to get some immersive setup of satellites as I explore the solarsystem,

but so far ever single time this "bug" has prevented me to do so.

Restarting doesn't fix it :/

Otherwise, another dozen hours this game have been fun for me,

all thanks to your mod.

EDIT: I found out what is the root action:

When I decouple, i also fire those solid fuel boosters.

But I also switched active ships to that deorbiting rocket-part.

When switching back the error takes place.

When I disregard that section of my setup, everything is fine.

I am having the exact same issue, when decoupling a probe from a manned craft things start to become weird, the map lines freeze up (almost like they burn in so if you rotate the map they stay in place) then I get the same blue and black screen, after that it seems like all of my flights duplicate, so suddenly I have a hundred or so active flights.

Could it be that the probe and remote control parts are the main part of the ship and that the manned craft below it is not? (Compared to building a manned craft and adding a probe to it)

I've got to say, this mod is awesome. Can't wait to start branching out into the solar system :)

On another note, would a "Zenith" option for dish targeting be possible to add? It would make things easier to hook up with satellite networks, and also create more motivation to use more than three per ring, as you could create very comprehensive coverage.

On a third note, has anyone tried making a ring around the Jool system? How difficult is equatorial work with unmanned vehicles there?

Coincidally i just did something in that direction, last night. In my eyes, since you normally do not fly to jool every day, It was totally sufficient to make two large comm hubs using reflectron GXs. One slightly above the sun orbit of jool and one between kerbal and eve. normally one of the both can hook up to one of your probes around jool and any of its moons :)

I meant to say stationary constellations Nathan. A single stationary satellite over KSC makes sense, making a stationary constellation does not, at least in the RT/KSP world.

It makes plenty of sense. A single stationary sat over KSC can't relay commands around to the back side of Kerbin (like if a burn to go to the mun or another planet needs to be made when the vessel is out of LOS with KSC), where as 3 stationary sats will provide basically full coverage around the planet. You do need enough dishes/antenna to connect each sat to the next as well as one to connect to active vessels and to KSC, and if you want to get more complicated a dish on each to connect to other bodies (mun, minmus, duna etc).

When I try to go to space center or anything else, I just get the blue screen.

Mouseover reveals there is something to click on, just not visible.

http://imgur.com/iwhJZIg

snip

EDIT: I found out what is the root action:

When I decouple, i also fire those solid fuel boosters.

But I also switched active ships to that deorbiting rocket-part.

When switching back the error takes place.

When I disregard that section of my setup, everything is fine.

I didn't think I'd find someone else with this issue but I'm getting the exact same and believe I've boiled it down to RemoteTech2 sadly - going back to using 1.2.7 and the quickfix is fine, 1.3.3 seems to break the camera for me in the same way when either loading in, switching to, or docking with (Sometimes. Quicksave before docking, reload and dock again and it might work, might need a restart, no consistency I could determine). With docking, when first occurring the camera seems to just list off to one side of the ship, losing focus, with no response from any controls. If I switch to a ship, before the docking error or after (if the controls/haystack lets me), it might display that blue screen with sounds of travelling insane speeds through atmo or switch successfully. Speed shows 0.0m/s, All the markers are lined up on 90deg together on the navball. It's as if the "ship" I am controlling is landed on a point sized object that is fixed in space... If that makes sense! Occasionally if I return to space center when this has occurred, all of that too is gone and the surface-less blue screen shows up (eerie with the bird sounds still...)

I tried to get some logs of what is going on but I'm not sure where to look - is there an output log file to be found if there is no "crash", or would anything else help identify the issue? I can upload/supply more info for tracking this one down if it helps.

Loads of mods here too, I have tried latest and latest-1 versions of most to narrow this down and nothing from them seemed to affect the frequency of it happening:

Thanks again for an awesome plugin Cilph!

I skimmed through the pages since the two quotes above were posted and didn't see any posts about this so here is my experience with it.

When I had the test version I had something similar. I was setting up a kerbosync orbit with 3 kommsats. I had the sats engines connected to docking ports so hitting the space bar accidentally wouldn't trigger their release (had them on action groups for when kOS compatibility happens so I could have automated sat network setup/deploy). I forget now if it happened right after docking, but I think it was more when i would switch to another vessel. The vessel I would switch to would be invisible. However if I went to map view and back everything was fine. You might want to try that. I haven't had much time to mess around with it lately as I just got back from a vacation, plus I don't have enough science yet to research everything I want to build the network, but once I do I'll see if I have the same problems.

I skimmed through the pages since the two quotes above were posted and didn't see any posts about this so here is my experience with it.

When I had the test version I had something similar. I was setting up a kerbosync orbit with 3 kommsats. I had the sats engines connected to docking ports so hitting the space bar accidentally wouldn't trigger their release (had them on action groups for when kOS compatibility happens so I could have automated sat network setup/deploy). I forget now if it happened right after docking, but I think it was more when i would switch to another vessel. The vessel I would switch to would be invisible. However if I went to map view and back everything was fine. You might want to try that. I haven't had much time to mess around with it lately as I just got back from a vacation, plus I don't have enough science yet to research everything I want to build the network, but once I do I'll see if I have the same problems.

I have seen similar bugs. Did not want to report as i was not sure which mod was doing it.

Can say I have seen all the behaviors above.

Recover vessel triggered a blank display of KSC. It would take me back to the fixed view of KSC, but no buildings showed. Could still click where the buildings were and go into them, but launching anything seemed to duplicate a craft, was the same one duplicated.

Potential fix? -- I have not seen this since i added texture compressor mod. Maybe related or maybe performance based and the texture compressor let's thing process in enough time to load the scene properly?

Switch craft -- on load craft is invisible, go to map view and back and it is displayed. Happens every-time. Did not test, which mod does it, but if others narrow it down to remote tech i can confirm it is consistent -- could be a compatibility issue with other common mods. Can give a mod list if needed or maybe confirm Remotetech does it alone/stock.

Remotetech flight computer -- Sometimes telling it to point at the maneuver node will have it off by 20-30 degrees. Usually it is the first node of the flight... i then do the first manually and try RT2 again and its ok on the next. Or it will be ok if i swith flights and come back. My sats are usually released from docking ports on a manned mission -- docked ship splitting could be an issue here as others have mentioned quirky behavior, maybe an issue when the ship seperates and the sat gets renamed "shipname probe"?

On releasing sats from docking port -- sometimes the connection lines from a sat will be fixed in space on the map screen. Rotating the view will not update the lines. If you get this error line of site comm is no longer checked. If you have a connection at the time you will keep it even past your range or the target's range. Sat was a simple manned vessel, vertical to escape, release by docking port with the 50Mm dish pointed back to KSC. I believe switching ships and returning fixed it -- or i may have restarted KSP entirely. Only saw this one once in ~20-30 flights.

I have seen similar bugs. Did not want to report as i was not sure which mod was doing it.

Switch craft -- on load craft is invisible, go to map view and back and it is displayed. Happens every-time. Did not test, which mod does it, but if others narrow it down to remote tech i can confirm it is consistent -- could be a compatibility issue with other common mods. Can give a mod list if needed or maybe confirm Remotetech does it alone/stock.

The craft isn't invisible. I found out last night that it is just very, very, very far away. You need to keep zooming in and you will see it. Or just do the map view switch/switch back trick.

Mark

It makes plenty of sense.

I think the point they were trying to make is if you're doing a constellation instead of a single satellite, there's no reason to use a synchronous orbit for the constellation, especially if you do it at an altitude that all the satellites can connect to each other via omnidirectional antennas. At that point, other than one omnidirectional antenna, the outbound dishes are the only antennas the satellites need. You've still got 100% coverage of the equatorial regions, less coverage elsewhere, with the amount of coverage depending on altitude and number of satellites.

If Anyone uses Telemachus and want to use the antennas in RT2 here is a link to mod http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/24594-0-23-Telemachus-%E2%80%93-Telemetry-and-Flight-Control-in-the-Web-Browser-%282013-12-18%29 and a link to a cfg file to add it to RT https://www.dropbox.com/s/jwcuc2t78lith8f/RemoteTech_TelemachusAntenna.cfg and the mod http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/58506-WIP-Terazone-Misc-Parts as a nice flip antennas so i made a file for it https://www.dropbox.com/s/eh59u1xkddwgrxx/RemoteTech_Terazone.cfg all u have to do just put them in your RT folder if there is any dish or antennas you would like to had to RT but are not sure how to add them let me know.

The craft isn't invisible. I found out last night that it is just very, very, very far away. You need to keep zooming in and you will see it. Or just do the map view switch/switch back trick.

You're absolutely correct. I used the map switch/switch trick everytime, now I know the crafts are just zoomed out. Can't say if that is RT2, or another of the 50+ mods I have installed.

It makes plenty of sense. A single stationary sat over KSC can't relay commands around to the back side of Kerbin (like if a burn to go to the mun or another planet needs to be made when the vessel is out of LOS with KSC), where as 3 stationary sats will provide basically full coverage around the planet. You do need enough dishes/antenna to connect each sat to the next as well as one to connect to active vessels and to KSC, and if you want to get more complicated a dish on each to connect to other bodies (mun, minmus, duna etc).

No, it really doesn't make sense. I can get that same coverage from a three relay system much lower than stationary orbit.

I think the point they were trying to make is if you're doing a constellation instead of a single satellite, there's no reason to use a synchronous orbit for the constellation, especially if you do it at an altitude that all the satellites can connect to each other via omnidirectional antennas. At that point, other than one omnidirectional antenna, the outbound dishes are the only antennas the satellites need. You've still got 100% coverage of the equatorial regions, less coverage elsewhere, with the amount of coverage depending on altitude and number of satellites.

Exactly. I mean take a look at the use of telecommunications satellite constellations in the real world. The only geostationary ones are either a 1 satellite system like China's Tianlian, or operate in a way so that dishes on the ground and on the satellite can remain pointed in one direction at all times such as DirectTV's DirectTV satellites.

You're absolutely correct. I used the map switch/switch trick everytime, now I know the crafts are just zoomed out. Can't say if that is RT2, or another of the 50+ mods I have installed.

It's not RT2 - I have this happen and I don't have RT2.

I'm reasonably confident that this is a bug in KSP 0.23 itself, though I'm not 100% certain as while it was definitely occurring before installing my other mods, I can't quite remember if it first happened before I installed MechJeb2 and NavyFish's docking aid.

It's not RT2 - I have this happen and I don't have RT2.

I'm reasonably confident that this is a bug in KSP 0.23 itself, though I'm not 100% certain as while it was definitely occurring before installing my other mods, I can't quite remember if it first happened before I installed MechJeb2 and NavyFish's docking aid.

Don't have mechjeb. Removed navyfish and still does it. May be stock bug switching ships does not adjust zoom... don't have any stock games in progress to test.

No, it really doesn't make sense. I can get that same coverage from a three relay system much lower than stationary orbit.

Ahh yes I see your point, and as Eric S pointed out. I stand corrected. Think I'm still going to setup a stationary network though and make it more for missions that go beyond Kerbins SOI. I've been thinking of setting up a 4sat 300-400km network to handle missions closer to Kerbin, which will require less power to run so not as worried about periods when the sun isn't visible.

One problem I was thinking of with geostationary was that if you're not using RTG's and you're not careful enough about where the 3 sats are one may end up in darkness, not sure for how long though as the further out you go the less time you would be in shadow. So far I haven't actually experienced that yet though, had been trying to use kOS to setup the network. Same would go for lower orbit, although not being "stationary" I would imagine they might recover faster because of the faster orbital speed. Though like I said, if using RTG's or several batteries I guess it wouldn't be a problem.

I have two questions I would like to ask;

1) There was a question answered earlier today (#1946) about disabling the time delay feature. The process involved editing the Remotech_settings.cfg file I have looked in my remote tech folder and I have 4 .cfg files, none of them named settings. Could someone clarify what exactly I need to modify? I am not a programmer so kindly do not use the word "obviously" in your answer.

2) The flight computer built into remotetech, how do I operate it? I have seen people talk about putting delayed commands into it to perform actions when a probe has no active communications. How do I do this? I have tried pressing some of the buttons and all it does is spin my ship around. All I want to be able to do is to re-activate an antenna after re-entry. A simple, "wait 10 minutes then turn this bit on" is all I need.

Thanks.

Since I have not seen it mentioned explicitly here...

For all those who are not getting the antenna animation, I found the problem to be too many versions of ModuleManager in my GameData folder. You should only have one ModuleManager_???.dll. Use the one with the highest version and trash the rest.