Now-defunct-thread-that-should-not-appear-in-google-search.

Cilph

Haven't had any luck with the newer downloads of Mechjeb, they seem to be incomplete when I unzip them. So I've been using an older version that I know works. And no idea what the toolbar is. I'll take a look in the morning, thanks though.

You sure u have the DEV.MJ http://jenkins.mumech.com/job/MechJeb2/ .

And @Resender you can take the parts out of the RT2 Folder and put them in ksp/parts

and to keep the transmitter part you would have to make a cfg file or edit parts to add

MODULE

{

name = ModuleDataTransmitter

packetInterval = 0.3

packetSize = 2

packetResourceCost = 15.0

requiredResource = ElectricCharge

DeployFxModules = 0

ProgressFxModules = 1

}

}

Edited by Mecripp2

I prefer to control the craft as much as possible. I like RT for realism of having to have satellites to relay the signal in order to control the craft, and I don't mind having to use the flight computer to give it commands to perform when out of radio contact, since I'm the one giving it commands. Setting up a reentry with the current flight computer will take more time than I might have. Once I make my de-orbit burn I won't have 30 minutes to queue up commands. I may have at most a couple of minutes, and I'll be rushing to set the delay, send command 1, 2, 3, etc. and adjusting the delay between each command to account for the time passed since I last send a command. If I make a mistake, I'm screwed.

It would be nice to be able to set it all up 30 minutes out by setting up a sequence of commands queued up but not sent to the craft yet. Then once I get ready for reentry, I can transmit the queue and shut down the antennas.

I tried this last night, and as I feared it was a mad scramble to get commands sent and retract the antenna before reentry. I sent a probe to Minmus, nearly identical to the one I sent to the Mun a few days ago. I setup the intercept so my orbit would swing out past Minmus and "side swipe" it on the way back by having my Pe be on the side. After making my final adjustment, I put my Pe at 15km, and it looked like I would be facing Kerbin and still have radio contact as I passed by. I had the science equipment set on action groups and queued them up to go off around the time I would reach Pe just to be safe. It's a good thing I did because I didn't have LOS to Kerbin when I made the flyby, and the flight computer triggered the science equipment just in time.

Now it was time for reentry. I try to play somewhat realistic, for example I send unmanned probes to places before sending Kerbals. Although I quicksave often, I don't load the save if I crash a craft or make a mistake. I made an exception last night since I was experimenting with RT's flight computer for this reentry. The approach back to Kerbin had me coming in steep and fast. My first attempt was a complete disaster. I setup my Pe at 40k to aerobreak and burned the last of my fuel to help slow down. After that maneuver I was left with the Pe ~37k and I don't remember the Ap, but it was still pretty far out. I wasn't sure if it would reenter on the next pass if it would take another another trip or more around Kerbin to reenter, but it did reenter on the next pass. Once I saw reentry was going to happen, I wasn't sure what delay to use, so I waited for the Pe to drop below the surface and went for half the time to Pe. It was quite a shallow reentry, and the delay was 5 minutes. I set the delay, hit the action group key to activate the omni antenna, then the gear key. I closed the flight computer and was about to retract the antenna when realized I didn't drop the rocket stage for reentry. I pressed space and nothing happened. I mashed it a few more times, nothing. I thought I lost the antenna already, but it was still there showing a I was connected, so I tried to go ahead and retract it, and nope it wasn't going in. I then realized what was wrong. I didn't zero out the delay before closing the flight computer window, so it had put the several stage key presses in the queue and retract antenna command. I opened the flight computer, zeroed out the delay and tried to delete the extra commands and then drop the rocket stage, but it was too late, the antenna burned off just as I got the flight computer window up. Something on the bottom stage that I didn't drop exploded, broke off, hit a landing strut, destroyed the strut which caused the craft to wobble so the heat shield wasn't absorbing all of the reentry heat and the whole thing exploded.

I reloaded and tried again. It took two more tries to get a successful reentry. By successful I mean one where the the antenna activated and gear deployed, and it was close. Once I make the deorbit burn and reentry begins, there's not much time to figure out the delay and get everything queued up on the fly. I already activated the parachute stage and had set them to deploy at a pressure that had them coming out at about 8000m, so that was one less thing to worry about. I was still having to figure out the delay, plug it in, queue an antenna activation and gear deployment, then zero out the delay, detach the rocket stage and retract the antenna. I had the antenna set come out first, then waited a bit and set the gear to deploy. I hoped the antenna would deploy first and I could cancel the flight computer queue and manually takeover, but I queued it in the flight computer to be safe in case the antenna deployed too soon and snapped off. The delay was almost too long though, and the antenna didn't deploy until a few seconds from touchdown. I had just enough time to manually lower the landing struts before it touched down.

This particular probe doesn't need the landing struts and is capable of reentering and safely landing without control as long as I stage the parachutes before retracting the antenna or losing it, as it already landed successfully (although without the struts deployed) when I sent it to the Mun. I'm using this as practice for when the time comes to send probes to land on other planets with atmospheres. Enhancements to the flight computer would be nice and help in this situation, but FAR compatibility would have prevented the antenna from snapping to begin with because aerodynamically it was in a position where it would have been shielded from the oncoming air and heat.

While I'm here, does anyone else find that their spacecraft start to pitch/yaw/roll when it goes out of radio contact and/or after using the flight computer? Before passing around the backside of Minmus last night the probe had SAS on and was stable. I didn't notice if it started happening when it lost radio contact or after the flight computer triggered the action groups. I didn't use the flight computer to make any maneuvers, but after it triggered the action group for the science equipment was when I noticed SAS was off and it was slowly pitching around.

Any future version will be compatible with the previous, e.g. the new dish multitargeting will be compatible with the old system - it'll convert itself automatically.

Not sure how to handle multitargeting with planet targeting. Should I allow a dish to essentially target X planets at once? Bit cheap isn't it? Maybe limit that to one slot?

Nice page.

Write something about each antenna part; what it's most common use?

For example:

Communotron 88-88

This dish is most commonly used for interplanetary communications in the inner kerbol system. It has enough range to keep Moho, Eve, Kerbin and Duna in range.

Dres is also a possibility, then communications can be become interrupted as Dres is sometimes just beyond the range of this antenna. As this dish is light-weight

and retractable it's a great dish to include multiple of on your interplanetary communications satellites. Just remember that's it not the best dish for keeping

contact with probes that are entering an atmosphere.

Or maybe describe a possible career mode satellite network buildup?

Not sure how the KSP wiki is, but since this is a mod should most of the information be collected on remotetech's wiki rather than KSP's?

https://github.com/Cilph/RemoteTech2/wiki/List-of-available-parts

Any future version will be compatible with the previous, e.g. the new dish multitargeting will be compatible with the old system - it'll convert itself automatically.

Not sure how to handle multitargeting with planet targeting. Should I allow a dish to essentially target X planets at once? Bit cheap isn't it? Maybe limit that to one slot?

I think one dish should only be able to target one planet/body at a time. In that case if you wanted to target multiple planets you would need more than one dish.

Granted in real life, if two planets just happen to be in alignment with a specific dish, that dish could target both planets, but I think that's a little much to add into the mod.

Not sure how the KSP wiki is, but since this is a mod should most of the information be collected on remotetech's wiki rather than KSP's?

https://github.com/Cilph/RemoteTech2/wiki/List-of-available-parts

Feel free to make one on the KSP wiki, but for the love of god keep a copy at the RT Github wiki. Or link to it even.

I think one dish should only be able to target one planet/body at a time. In that case if you wanted to target multiple planets you would need more than one dish.

Granted in real life, if two planets just happen to be in alignment with a specific dish, that dish could target both planets, but I think that's a little much to add into the mod.

Target one planet/body yes but if something that falls in the cone of the dish and has range they should talk , same as dish to dish.

EDIT would like to see dish tracking back in and dish or Antenna max range and range to target back PLEASE more for the range think that will help a lot.:D

Edited by Mecripp2

Target one planet/body yes but if something that falls in the cone of the dish and has range they should talk , same as dish to dish.

I was adding multitargeting to dishes. Targeting planets already targets anything in the cone. Each antenna would have 3-4 slots to fill. Perhaps limit planets to the first slot?

When you say multitarget is that if you lose sight of 1 it picks 1 or more in sight ?

EDIT or that, I could have 1 point to a ship around kerbin and 1 around mun ?

if so then there pretty much all like Omni

EDIT2 for the most part this mod is awesome in 1 of the ver. we had tracking and range to target and we could target a dish and then target a dish from that dish we targeted but then we wasn't really going on dish to dish targeting maybe that was a bug, sad part now is that a dish that is facing kerbin but because, in RT you said it was targeting mun it targets mun but it is really face right at kerbin really don't see how line of sight comes in there they should be like a solar panel be that, I'm sure is a lot of code but we all thank you all that as had a part in RT awesome job we hope keep on going.

Edited by Mecripp2

When you say multitarget is that if you lose sight of 1 it picks 1 or more in sight ?

EDIT or that, I could have 1 point to a ship around kerbin and 1 around mun ?

if so then there pretty much all like Omni

EDIT2 for the most part this mod is awesome in 1 of the ver. we had tracking and range to target and we could target a dish and then target a dish from that dish we targeted but then we wasn't really going on dish to dish targeting maybe that was a bug, sad part now is that a dish that is facing kerbin but because, in RT you said it was targeting mun it targets mun but it is really face right at kerbin really don't see how line of sight comes in there they should be like a solar panel be that, I'm sure is a lot of code but we all thank you all that as had a part in RT awesome job we hope keep on going.

It's basically target all at once, and the path routing finds the most efficient one to use. For the EDITs, I have no idea what you are saying.

Actually, what I'd like to see is that only the receiving side has to be configured - so that if I have, say, a kerbosynchronous network around Kerbin, and another one around Mun, and the Mun one has antennas pointed at Kerbin, then "active ship" on Kerbin would be enough to route towards ships on the dark side of the Mun - that's because connection is already possible, but I have to go around to Kerbin and reconfigure stuff to point at Mun (or launch satellites that will stay constantly connected to Mun, raising vessel count, or adding more antennas, raising part counts and network complexity), essentially making it bookkeeping.

It *feels* like a graph search starting from the ship, along the "have an active relay in range" edge should work relatively well for relatively small amounts of satellites, but I don't know anything about the actual implementation, of course.

As for the multi-planet thing, the thing is, this feels like a bit of an artificial limitation - of course, if it makes for better gameplay then hey, that's okay. I mean we're launching from a planet with a black hole in the core.

EDIT: also, thanks for the compatibility update. Now I'm not afraid of playing my current save :-)

I don't see any real difference between selecting multiple planets to the disk target list than different vessels. Different vessels could be in vastly different direction and just as with losing contact with one it would go to the next the same is the case for planets, for example lose direct contact with Kerbin bounce the signal off Duna. There is no reason it would have to be a specific satellite unless you wanted to take advantage of a dish to dish range boost.

It sounds like you're describing a different bug to my problem, no decoupling or detaching is involved, just flying. Regardless we'll see how the replacement dll works.

Any luck with that? I am just going to rename GameData/RemoteTech2/Plugins/RemoteTech2.dll to RemoteTech2.dll.disable and go that route for non-atmospheric deep space missions. I am not sure if aerocapture will cause problems, it only seems to bug on me when my craft "lands".

Think I've found a new bug with RemoteTech2.

A spacecraft using the GX-128 that lost Connection while in the sphere of influence of Eeloo,

repeatedly seems to crash the game whenever that spacecraft has focus AND reconnects to the network.

I don't have any logs, because the game just becomes unresponsive and Windows just terminates is.

I did check whether it was there was something wrong with the craft itself by terminating it and using HyperEdit to hack another one in orbit around Eeloo.

That worked fine, but as soon as it went from nightside back to dayside and reconnected itself the game became unresponsive again.

I'll try and check whether it's the problem is related to GX-128 or just to Eeloo.

I've had the same dish already visit Jool without problems.

I'll also try and get logs somehow...

Anyone else have similar experiences?

I've done some further testing (around Jool) and the problem seems to be related to the GX-128.

The game does register it as 'connected' upon loading that satellite and half a second later it freezes.

I have other satellites that seem to work perfectly, including some using the GX-128.

So I'm unsure what's causing the problem yet, through some save editing I managed to deactive the GX-128.

Get connected through a relay using the 88-88 and then power up the GX-128 without a problem...

Will report back again when I know more.

[edit]

Found another example of this problem.

This time the probe having the problem is still in deep space (Kerbol SOI), and again it's with the GX-128.

So far I haven't been able to reproduce this problem in a seperate sandbox game though.

[edit 2]

Found a work-around. Editing the save-file and manually updating the targets of each dish of the affected vessel seems to solve the issue.

Is it possible that the problem could be caused because some dish points as a non-existing or wrong target ID or something?

Summarized:

- Freeze occurs a second after "No Connection" changes into "Connected".

- Freeze doesn't occur in all situations, but when it occurs it occurs consistently.

- Encountered with different craft in different SOI's.

- Encountered only with GX-128 (up until now four times).

- No error in logs because game freezes completely.

[edit 3]

My best guess as to what causes this problem is now the following:

Some time ago we had duplicating ships. In some cases this resulted in me deleting ships from a save by hand (because the amount of ships was becoming too much for the Tracking Center).

Ships that were deleted still left their ID in some places where they were targeted by another ship's dish. I presume RT does a tree search to find whether a ship is connected or not.

This could result in 'no problem'. But it could also result in the tree-search looping forever, trying to find a ship that no longer exists (or something similar).

Why have I only seen it occur when playing around with craft which use the GX-128? Probably because of where in my satellite network this "broken ID's" where present. Only the GX-128 equipped craft beyond the range of other dishes were likely to find that group of paths towards Mission Control. All other craft, and those closer, were more likely to find a different 'shortest' path to Mission Control, without passing by satellites which were targetting "broken ID's".

Is this possible? Is it likely?

If so, maybe a future version of RT should include a check for broken ID's...

Edited by kalizec

Nah, no infinite searching or loops or any such thing. All registered SPUs are registered in one large hashmap linked from Guid to VesselSatellite entity. If it can't find it in there you get the Unknown Target message in tooltips. Targets are passive, they do not seek out links on their own, that is all done internally by the NetworkManager.

The issue you're describing leaves no logs for some reason - it is a full-blown Unity crash itself. I'm probably doing something horrible but I haven't figured out what yet exactly. NullRefs, StackOverflows, etc, all don't crash Unity. They crash the current code inside Mono inside Unity.

Nah, no infinite searching or loops or any such thing. All registered SPUs are registered in one large hashmap linked from Guid to VesselSatellite entity. If it can't find it in there you get the Unknown Target message in tooltips. Targets are passive, they do not seek out links on their own, that is all done internally by the NetworkManager.

Any idea as to the cause of the problem I am/was having then?

I did notice that the problem for one particular craft disappeared when I edited the save-file and replaced the targets of all but one of the dishes with something like "000-000-00000-0000".

I'm having a bit of trouble I haven't run into before, which seems to be new to the .13 version.

I'm deploying a small satellite network around Minmus to provide comms support for a fairly large expedition. (Planning to do every biome with one big mission.) All 4 satellites were carried by a boost stage into a slightly eccentric minmus orbit. The plan is to have each satellite separate from the boost stage and circularize at periapsis in order to spread them around with minimum delta-V requirements for each satellite.

The problem is that I just deployed my first satellite, and it's not getting a control connection back to mission control. The satellite and the boost stage both have omnidirectional communitorn-32s, both are deployed. The boost stage has a connection back to mission control via my satellite network around Kerbin. But for some reason, the deployed satellite isn't talking to the boost stage, and I can't figure out why. Antennas are deployed, satellite has power, and it's only a couple dozen meters from the boost stage.

Does anyone have any idea why I can't control the satellite? Is there a limit to the number of "hops" that can be used to get back to mission control, maybe? Did something change with the new signal processor stuff? (My satellite network around Kerbin is still working, though. The boost stage is communicating back to Mission Control using it.)

Are running the latest version from the SpacePort?

Have you installed the hot-fix from some pages earlier in this thread?

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/56399-0-23-RemoteTech-2-v1-3-3-Late-Christmas-Edition?p=901076&viewfull=1#post901076

I hadn't seen that, no. Just tried it, but it didn't fix my problem. Thanks, though.

Ugh... I'm going to have to send up a manned mission to hit the thing with a spanner.

I hadn't seen that, no. Just tried it, but it didn't fix my problem. Thanks, though.

Ugh... I'm going to have to send up a manned mission to hit the thing with a spanner.

Operation "Bang it around a bit" worked. Manually forcing the antennae open and closed seems to have resolved the issue. Not sure if the root cause was the old DLL or not.

ignoramus posting here.

I'd like to use this mod with the really nice dish models from the AIES parts pack.. but I don't know how to yet. I've taken a look at the cfg file for RemoteTech but they all seem to be a jumble, nothing I could understand well enough to copy/paste. Is this mod compiled into the .dll using some 3rd party program?

Remember, utter derp asking here.

EDIT: looking at the cfg files in the root instead of the parts folder... maybe I can find a way there.

Edited by Wyrmshadow

Shot into the blue: Do you use the windows editor or Notepad+ (open source freeware thingy) to open the cfgs?

The editor tends to open them with in one long line - Notepad+ uses formatting.

If that was your problem at least.

And: If I remember correctly, the part.cfg in the part folders is incomplete - for easier updating purposes. You are on the right track looking into the mods root folder!