Now-defunct-thread-that-should-not-appear-in-google-search.

Cilph

I pretty much never use the cone/target a planet since I don't know how it works and I don't see how much different it would be than just pointing two sats at each other. The second bullet point to me seems to imply I target a group and it chooses available relays from that, so I could target all my GEO sats from one probe instead of having to settle with just one. This sounds like a very nice addition since my main issue with the current system is that if the targeted relay is obstructed by Kerbin or whatever else, the probe will lose connection with no way of changing it. It would be nice to have a fallback relay, if KEO 1 above KSC is out of sight, target KEO 4 behind it.

Never use the cone ? I found it worked better to use the cone for anything that had the range could talk if they was in the cone's line of sight for like the 1 that had DishAngle= 45 you could put 1 around mun and 1 at kerbin target planet and BAM !!! all in the cone talked to mun and mun to kerbin and but all in all sound like to me, I don't know why he would waste the time to do target or the cone as much as, I like

for a lot sounds like he could just make it all Omni and forget target and cone just worry about range.

Seconded! For the omnis, too, I'd like to see an alternate view that, instead of the network of lines, makes a 'cloud' that shows covered area. If that's possible.

yeah, that would help with setting up sat networks that can communicate no more guessing if at altitude x, will sat be able to talk to sat at altitude y sort of thing.

Well then, another thing to add to my list of test cases.

I'll be writing up an excel sheet of a 100 or so (hopefully) features and tests that must pass before a new version goes out the door.

Would it be helpful to offer help by performing some of those tests (provided they are ingame)?

P.S. the bug I wrote about earlier occurred again today.

Again I managed to solve it by editing the save-file and resetting some targets on some dishes...

So it seems it's clearly some issue with RT2. I'm just not sure what causes it.

Edited by kalizec

Please, Is someone who know how can I launch a rocket with no kerbal in it ? The antennas fall during the takeoff ...

there is the 1 that as a 500 km range that will get you to space as soon as you are there then use the better antennas or use this

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/1ebe4ig5fbc2x0m/jkA23PWYpf/RemoteTech_REMOVEMAXQ.cfg

Edited by Mecripp2

Please, Is someone who know how can I launch a rocket with no kerbal in it ? The antennas fall during the takeoff ...
Use the DP-10 antenna for launches. It doesn't break from atmospheric pressure, is omnidirectional (so no need to target), and has a range of 500km. Once you're out of the atmo, then extend other antennas for more long-range operations.

Would it be helpful to offer help by performing some of those tests (provided they are ingame)?

P.S. the bug I wrote about earlier occurred again today.

Again I managed to solve it by editing the save-file and resetting some targets on some dishes...

So it seems it's clearly some issue with RT2. I'm just not sure what causes it.

It's intended for the 'testing team' to have something to work with.

Hey Cilph,

If you need testers then I'll be happy to throw my hat into the ring. I kinda do testing/troubleshooting IRL so I'm a bit good at finding and breaking things.

Right now I'm in the process of building a system wide communications network with the patched version so this could be a decent test. :-)

Send me your spreadsheet and I'll get started.

Best regards,

The Dude

I have an idea:

Not LoS requiring dish (neutrinos)

Would be very costly and as big as the biggest interplanetary dish, and having a range of 1000 km (diametre of planet plus some more for above atmosphere orbiting)

Both sides would have to have the dish on

I desire some feedback for this idea and whether it can fit in with RemoteTech 2

Edited by Tery215

I have an idea:

Not LoS requiring dish (neutrinos)

Would be very costly and as big as the biggest interplanetary dish, and having a range of 1000 km

Both sides would have to have the dish on

I desire some feedback for this idea and whether it can fit in with RemoteTech 2

Good idea, but it probably needs more range.

Let's say the distance it takes from low orbit to low orbit to other side of same planet?

For Jool that would be ±12500km.

Can someone explain why this doesn't work?

zvWJDOS.jpg

This is the orbiter, has 3 omni's in total. The 3km in the probe core, 500km and 5000km. It has a connection to KSC.

FogThJI.jpg

The lander doesn't have a connection despite being 500m away from the orbiter. It has electric charge and the omni in the probe core is active as you can see.

When I first decoupled the lander I tried going back to the space center and reload, which caused the game to crash like it did a few weeks ago (it starts using RAM while freezing). I have already tried removing and recopying the RT2 dll which required save game editing since the dish would start undeployed and that didn't fix anything. This is quite frustrating since the only antenna on my lander is the RT2 one and that isn't recognized by the game as a valid transmitting device, so if I disable RT2 I can't send any science back.

Probably because the orbiter only has a connection while it IS the active vessel.

When it no longer is the active vessel it too loses connection, and thus cannot route it to the lander using it's omni's.

Probably because the orbiter only has a connection while it IS the active vessel.

When it no longer is the active vessel it too loses connection, and thus cannot route it to the lander using it's omni's.

Now now...you are most likely correct. And I meant to point my station at it at some point.

And it's freezing again.

AndreyATGB what are you using for a probe core ? @ 2 pic said spu not connected ? I don't use the Interstellar mod.

anyway why you editing your save game you can just edit the probe core to have the range 60000000000.

Edited by Mecripp2

AndreyATGB what are you using for a probe core ? @ 2 pic said spu not connected ? I don't use the Interstellar mod.

No idea what SPU means, but kalizec is right. It didn't get a connection because I forgot to point a dish from my relay station at the orbiter. Now I rage quit the game because it doesn't reconnect after losing connection and to top it off it also crashed to the empty space center view.

Figured out how to reproduce the spinning probe / attitude control problem.

To summarize the bug, when you click on any of the attitude control buttons in the Remote Tech Flight Computer (prograde, retrograde, etc), instead of aiming towards the direction, the probe starts moving in some random or semi-random manner. Even if you start already pointing towards prograde, it'll move off prograde (yes either orbit or surface, not mixed up there).

In order to make this bug happen, you need to change the "Control from Here" from the probe core to something else. That usually does it. You may need to set it back to the original probe core. I haven't tested it with 2 probe cores, but it happens when I control from a docking port, and switch back. I removed all other mods, and this still happens.

I'm including a QuickSave if anybody wants to try it out themselves. The has 2 identical probes in orbit just over KSC. One of them has not had the Control From Here changed, and it works fine. The other did, and it goes into the spin cycle. If you change the control on the working one, it stops working.

In order to make this bug happen, you need to change the "Control from Here" from the probe core to something else. That usually does it. You may need to set it back to the original probe core. I haven't tested it with 2 probe cores, but it happens when I control from a docking port, and switch back.

To be clear here:

Does it help to change the "control from here"-part or does this cause the bug?

Does it only bug out if the controlling part is not a probe core?

Maybe it has something to do with the root part from VAB, but I do not know how you (sub-)assemble your crafts.

To be clear here:

Does it help to change the "control from here"-part or does this cause the bug?

Does it only bug out if the controlling part is not a probe core?

Maybe it has something to do with the root part from VAB, but I do not know how you (sub-)assemble your crafts.

Once you change the control from here point, you are screwed. You can change it back, but it will never be able to hold attitude.

I tried examining the file I included above, but can't make heads or tails out of the various variables. The file has 2 identical craft, one where I changed the control point to the side docking port, and back to the probe core, the other was never changed (and works). I tried comparing the numbers in the save file, but wasn't sure what to look for. I was hoping to find something specifying the control point.

I plan to try launching a probe core with a single docking port, and hacking gravity, then checking before and after swapping control points in various save files (initial launch, switch control point, switch control point back). I'll do that later today.

Right now, I'm sort of stuck in my Jool mission, as I can't aim the a probe properly, as the burn happens after LOS. If worse comes to worst, I can disable RT2, do the burn, renable it, but I'll have to hack the save game file to get the antenna active and pointed again.