Google strikes again!

Joshington

It's awful. Now anytime any dork shares a video on his Google+ page, you can see that in the comments.

The comments were great. Not the system, Google has destroyed it few years ago, but the community. You could learn so much and now they've taken a new step forward to destroy it.

First the comments, then the account pages, then the homepage, then the inbox system, now this. As if they're deliberately trying to destroy Youtube.

They're behaving like Zuckerberg with Facebook, but instead of passive acceptance, Youtube users never got used to its new stupid system.

Average Youtuber is a lot more smarter than average Facebook user. Almost everyone has Facebook account because of reasons, but you don't need a Youtube or Google account to watch videos, so most people open an account to make a comment.

Ironic. I hope the Google+ integration means we will have fewer abysmally racist youtube comments in the future.

Most likely, the trolls will make Google+ accounts with names like "Hitler", "Obama", "You Suck", before proceeding to troll as much as before.

Ironic. I hope the Google+ integration means we will have fewer abysmally racist youtube comments in the future.

That will not happen, of course. This just makes our online lives more miserable. I don't care if some n00b has shared something, I want to see the real comments below the video.

Vimeo and Dailymotion are viable alternatives. Both provide the required functionality of Youtube (uploading and sharing videos), and none of the undesired "functionality" (thou shalt have a Google+ account).

Vimeo follows a Freemium-type model with a paid option for unlimited HD videos, otherwise one HD video per week and unlimited SD videos. DailyMotion gives everyone up to 60 minutes per video/4GB size, and no freemium-type limits, though to get 1080p HD and a few other benefits, they want you to sign up as a "MotionMaker", which basically means giving them extra details in return for being able to monetise your videos.

As far as I'm aware, both sites can have their videos embedded here in VIDEO tags. There's basically now no reason to stay with Youtube, since their latest decision to weld everything into Google Faceboo^W^WGoogle+.

Edited by technicalfool

I can't say I really care. The way I figure it, I already had a google+ account anyway, same way as I have a gmail account by virtue of having a youtube account (well, now it's a google account like everyone elses, but it started off as a youtube account). The biggest difference to me is that I have no charecter limit, and I can change how visible a comment is. I'm not really sure why this bothers people so much. You already had a google+ account.

I suppose their is some objection to the ever increasing integration of each google service into all the others as a general point of principle, though it makes perfect sense to them no matter how much people don't like it. The goal for them is to pace it slowly enough that people will go along with it.

Remember how google makes it's money. There is no magical money fairy for companies that provide a bunch of useful services for free. They make their money from advertising, and their business strategy is nothing short of genius. The search engine collects information about the people who use it, which allows it to serve more relevant ads, which makes it more popular which means even more data collection. Google uses that information to target ads as well, and the resulting effectiveness makes them popular, which makes them wealthy. Youtube was acquired because they saw the potential of controlling one of the top 10 most popular sites on the entire internet and serving ads off it, a business plan which now earns them hilariously large piles of money every year.

Now look at how Facebook makes it's money, and understand why they want Google+ to succeed. Facebook doesn't serve ads. They make most of their money selling user information (and uploaded pictures) to advertising agencies. Google+ has the same potential, so Google would naturally want to dominate in the social media market for that reason. The information can only make their own advertising business more lucrative, and a lot of that information would also be prime for them to sell to other agencies for TV and radio advertising as well. Aside from that, the more information they can control, the harder it is for anyone to compete with them. Facebook seems to be a tough nut to crack. Being the most popular is generally self sustaining. People use you because that's where everyone else is, so google needs to use any edge they have to try and take that position, and their edge is convenience. The more popular services they can tie to your google account, and the more those services can talk to each other, the more appealing one large google internet utopia is going to become.

So yeah, that's (my) take on the why. It's another push to try and get people to use google+, so that they can make even more money. I'm sure they have more plans as well, it's not a company famous for rolling over and accepting second place.

And, as it stands, other video hosting sites really aren't a viable alternative for the same reason google is having so much trouble dethroning facebook. It's the most popular site, with the most users and content. If you are looking to find a video, it's generally the best place to look, and if you are looking to reach the largest audience, it's the best place to host. And they have the most freedom to offer features free (and pay their popular video makers) because their ad structure is the most profitable. It's really hard to compete with a site owned by one of the largest ad servers on the web when that site is in a market that makes money on advertising.

At the end of the day, I would probably enjoy youtube more if they weren't trying to capitalize on social media potential, and instead had the site designed strictly as a video hosting site. I think that depends though on how you use the site. I rarely comment and the like, so I'm not using it the way the site is designed to be used, and I don't really care.

Edited by Randox

Seems like Google is still trying to compete with Facebook. They've tried several social network projects which all failed (Orkut is the last one I remember). Knowing YouTube is successful, it's their best "chance" to grab the Facebook crowd.

Well, looks like they're not good strategists.

What happens when you conquer a land by force? They'll be mad as hell and will want to pay your head.

Same thing is happening with Youtube. Google, you're bad at social networks. Accept it.

I have made a french translation, so you can post it on french video

☻/ Il s'appelle Bob. Copiez et collez-le

/▌ partout sur Youtube

/ \ pour qu'il puisse prendre le contrôle

et ramener l'ancien système de commentaire.

Don't hesitate to correct me if my translation isn't very good :)

Yeah, Google is now EA's twin.

If this is the case, I guess this means we need to say goodbye to "Don't Be Evil".

Aside from that, I'm incredibly annoyed about Google+ Integration. On the Youtube App, I have to de-check off a box saying "Share on Google+" in a little window which pops up in front of the video. Also, I can't reply anymore on either platform for some reason. WHAT IS THIS, A BENEFIT?!

Edited by Needles_10

Man, this move by Google has really upset me. I don't *want* a Google+ account and I've had my YouTube channel for years. But now I can't see my channel's inbox or even reply to comments. Grrr. I'll quit YouTube before I accept a Google+ account.

Can anyone suggest a good alternative to YouTube for my tutorial videos?

Twitch, I guess...

I'm beginning to feel that the G+ integration was simply added to drive anyone who's too resistant to change away. G+ ftw.

If by "resistant to change" you mean "values their privacy and doesn't like being forced to sign up for something that wasn't part of the original agreement", sure. Just because Google has shouldered its way into a virtual monopoly doesn't give it the right to do whatever it pleases. Not in my view, anyway. So I'm not going to play along.

I see it more like this: While we were happily grazing, Google has been putting fences up. I'm getting out before the fence is complete. If you want to wear a 'real identity' ear tag and spend the rest of your digital life on the Google ranch, be my guest. I have horizons to explore.

Also, the comments on YouTube have gotten much worse since the integration, both in content and structure. And there's some pretty obvious astroturfing going on (I've noticed it myself, but

).

The largest petition against this integration is about to top 150,000 signatures. It won't change anything, but it's nice to have company. And here's a great opinion piece on the integration debacle.

Edited by pebble_garden

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.