(OLD) The Ultimate Jool-5 Challenge:land Kerbals on all moons and return in one big mission

Ziv

Ravenchant: Congratulations, you have finished the JOOL-5 on Level 3!

Yay! Thank you :D Here are some pictures of the pallet swap:

screenshot267_zps67b09da9.png

screenshot268_zpscc4e402e.png

Bonus pic: early version of the habitat which used spin stabilisation

screenshot9_zpsc24640e5.png

Sepratrons on Laythe ascent were mainly for the event of landing on a slope; I was afraid the nozzle would get stuck in the descent module and flip the whole thing over...it has happened before, after all :rolleyes:

That's all the pictures I have. It started out as a test run to see what sort of dV I would have with the big question being Tylo. I had already made all my encounters before taking any screen shots.

If you d/l the craft file, you will see the 4 (nearly) identical transfer ships radially mounted to the main ship - the Laythe one obviously being the one with parachutes. To answer your questions, I aerobraked around Laythe in about a 75km orbit, and used probably little more than 50dV, to hit my landing spot. The main ship and all the other transfer ships rendezvoused at Laythe for departure to Kerbin in the main ship.

I suppose I can re-enact the first part of the mission, and take screen shots

I'm sorry but I can't accept your mission then, because I need to check your launch, your moving in space, where did you left your main ship during dockings and if the landers really had enough dV to get from the main ship to the surface and back, how was your fuel consumption, how did you get back to Kerbin, etc.

Edited by Ziv

Hey Ziv one more question. I started my Jool-5/Grand tour mission. Right now i am visiting the other planets but my Jool-5 ship/landers are at Kerbin orbit. The bad thing is that i noticed a major design flaw at my Laythe lander and a tug that i have that will make completion of the mission impossible (forgot a ladder). Can i change the lander and tug with a new one? I will have fixed the design flaw and the design of these 2 units will be almost the same. The balance of this change is that it will make the drive unit and trip to Jool more unstable since the replacement will remove some struts that i have placed for stability

If it's still in Kerbin orbit then it can be changed, yes. But you have to go from Kerbin to Jool with one ship only and no additional stuff later during being in the Jool System.

Yay! Thank you :D Here are some pictures of the pallet swap:

http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af109/Ravenchant/KSP/screenshot267_zps67b09da9.png

http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af109/Ravenchant/KSP/screenshot268_zpscc4e402e.png

Bonus pic: early version of the habitat which used spin stabilisation

http://i998.photobucket.com/albums/af109/Ravenchant/KSP/screenshot9_zpsc24640e5.png

Sepratrons on Laythe ascent were mainly for the event of landing on a slope; I was afraid the nozzle would get stuck in the descent module and flip the whole thing over...it has happened before, after all :rolleyes:

Hahh, so simple solution for changing the experiment pallets! Cool, I'm sorry for bothering you about this! ;):D

ATTENTION

I want to emphasize some of the rules because missing them can lead to disqualification:

1. I want to see your whole mission! It starts from KSC and finishes on Kerbin's surface.

- I want to see how you launched your ship(s) and built it up in Kerbin orbit (if it was made from multiple ships).

- I want to see your orbits in deep space and in the Joolian System too.

- I want to see the deltaVs of your tugs/landers.

- I want to see your distribution of the main ship and the tugs/landers in the Joolian System. If the lander has enough dV to land from a low moon-orbit but your main ship is around Jool orbit then the lander has to have enough dV to get to that moon and back.

- I want to see the dockings of your landers. Departing and arriving back, too.

- I want to see your fuel consumption! Maybe you are refueling from your main ship but... does it have enough fuel for all the refuelings?!

- I want to see how your Kerbals got back to Kerbin's surface and as they are smiling happily.

NO PICTURE AND IT DIDN'T HAPPEN!

2. Double check your ladders!

I will check them and if you can't get back into your lander on Laythe or Tylo then your mission is over!

3. For Jebediah's Level, I will check especially:

- did you bring all the required science equipments to everywhere?

- did you use five Kerbals for the different moon landings? Were they changed for landings as requested?

- did you brought back the Science Lab to Kerbin's surface (if you brought one with you)?

Edited by Ziv

Quick update to say my ship is on its way back to Kerbin - just the aerobrake and establishment of orbit to go then I can set about recovering the science and crew. I seem to have about a thousand screenshots to sort through when it comes to posting an actual mission report. I'd like to say I have everything covered, but I didn't take many early on, especially the first few launches - the ones I may not be able to recreate faithfully as the launchers worked in 0.23.5 but not since 0.24 (need moar boost...sepratrons) :/

My main reason for posting is that my cumulative delta-v usage ticked over 25,000m/s during the final plane correction burn. Big number, though the tug and landers did most of the burning; the mothership alone is only up to 7k.

If it's still in Kerbin orbit then it can be changed, yes. But you have to go from Kerbin to Jool with one ship only and no additional stuff later during being in the Jool System.

Thanks for the clarification. At the moment i will see if i can salvage the mission without swapping the Laythe lander. I am currently doing "simulations" if i can land on Laythe and return with no landing gear. I will simply ditch the stage with the landing gear. Also i noticed that i forgot Mystery Goo containers at the Laythe lander, especially for the low atmosphere experiment but this part is salvageable by going on a deep suborbital trajectory with my Tyllo Lander. For the other experiments on Laythe i am currently covered by a rover i am going to land on Laythe.

For the record i have currently conquered Kerbin, Mun, Minmus, Moho (with just enough fuel to get to Eve, I had only one fuel line instead of four on my Moho ship and had a real bad encounter with Moho that drained my ship almost dry). If Laythe is salvageable then this is going to be an epic mission with many failures that were salvageable despite all the mission planning i did for the past months.

Also you should post your ATTENTION post at the main page since it will be easily lost in all those pages.

Ziv - did you download the craft file?

I put every KAC quicksave and persistent save in there.

Not only do you get screen shots, you can go to every critical point in the mission, and try it yourself.

But, I will do the entire mission....again....and you will have so many screen shots to go through, it will take longer to review all the information that it did to do the mission.

Edited by EdFred

Not only do you get screen shots, you can go to every critical point in the mission, and try it yourself.

No, because checking mission pictures in-depth, writing a review and updating the leaderboard usually takes at least 30-40 minutes per entry already...

Videos needs more time. And I never got save files before. :) Does the 0.25 have save file list or do I have to rename them to quicksave all the time as before?

And this challenge is also about collecting awesome ideas in one place, so image albums are preferred.

And one more thing: your album is very slow to check because the picture is huge, bigger than my screen, so I always have to scroll right for the next button, and this is very inconvenient...

Edited by Ziv

Just a small update from me (as I still love this challenge! :D ), I have been experimenting with multiple-cargo bay vehicles!

I won't share my experiental builds just yet, but I will release them as downloadable craft (both the single 'overview' ship in VAB, so you can make your own LV's and stuff, and the individual, dockable parts on LV's so you can just launch and dock, then go do whichever mission you feel like doing with it :wink:) once I have actually completed this mission... I am determined to nail the Jebediah Level!

EDIT: and I think I'm starting to rival Whackjob in the size of my creations... I'm sure I'll do him proud lol!

Edited by Cmdr. Arn1e

In response for a pm about the bendiness of my ship, this is what happens when i try to turn my with reaction wheels only :sticktongue: (the brightness of the image has been increased for viewing purposes), looks like i have a thing for bendy ships

qEpkq0r.png

In other news it appears that the mission is completely salvageable without changing my Laythe lander. The solutions i found are quite original

Edited by kookoo_gr

For those that don't know this trick on how to make precise maneuver planning once you have an encounter with a planet. I found it last night. Once you have an encounter with a planet stop what you are doing. Then double click on the targeted planet at any place at its orbit in order to focus on that planet. Zoom in. You will see a purple orbit that is the ship's orbit once in the planet's SOI then by adjusting the maneuver node you can get the desired orbit. At the pic below is a planned EvE orbit. You can see the yellow orbit (target orbit), the orange orbit (current orbit) and the purple orbit (planned orbit). The final result is a normal almost 0 degrees equatorial orbit at Eve with aerocapture with the least amount of ÃŽâ€V from 32 days away. This trick works its best in combination with precise node but i believe that those that don't use this mod will get the same results once they have a good camera angle at their node.

r55TNO3.png

For those that don't know this trick on how to make precise maneuver planning once you have an encounter with a planet. I found it last night. Once you have an encounter with a planet stop what you are doing. Then double click on the targeted planet at any place at its orbit in order to focus on that planet. Zoom in. You will see a purple orbit that is the ship's orbit once in the planet's SOI then by adjusting the maneuver node you can get the desired orbit. At the pic below is a planned EvE orbit. You can see the yellow orbit (target orbit), the orange orbit (current orbit) and the purple orbit (planned orbit). The final result is a normal almost 0 degrees equatorial orbit at Eve with aerocapture with the least amount of ÃŽâ€V from 32 days away. This trick works its best in combination with precise node but i believe that those that don't use this mod will get the same results once they have a good camera angle at their node.

http://i.imgur.com/r55TNO3.png

I've used this for a while, but the problem I always have is that I cannot get it to return the focus back to my ship. Does anyone know how to do that?

But, I will do the entire mission....again....and you will have so many screen shots to go through, it will take longer to review all the information that it did to do the mission.

Hi again, I had some time today so downloaded the craft file and the saves. I loaded them and I have some idea about what your mission was look like but it felt like they are not linear in time, and the first save started when the landers were already around/on the moons, the Laythe one on the surface with repacked chutes, and the game froze sometimes when I changed ships and it took so much time to always restart it that I got enough. I believe you could do the mission with these ships but I can't really see the whole process all together this way.

So please put the mission pictures in one easy to handle albums (like imgur , it's free for the first ~250 pictures) if you want so I can review them. :)

Edited by Ziv

My LOW MASS ship is built

Need to test it first but I know it can make orbit and it should have enough Delta-V to do the rounds

uWQKJ5U.png

It is just under 19 tons I know that is not close to the top contenders but it is a start

Edited by Gravaar

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.