(OLD) The Ultimate Jool-5 Challenge:land Kerbals on all moons and return in one big mission

Ziv

Hi, new here and am planning to try this challenge--launching everything in single launch in 20k+ ton rocket.

Is RealChute mod allowed or not?

as I understand it real Chute was approved because its mostly cosmetic.

Just noticing that my JOOL-5 flight plan ends with the arrival in Kerbin orbit. I have massive orbital infrastructure, and really consider LKO home. Getting all the Kerbals and the science back to the surface was something I hadn’t figured out yet.

They might dock at Kerman Station, where there are landers waiting, or I might send up space planes to shuttle the astronauts home, either way I was going to probably have to design some sort of special science module deorbiting vehicles, but I figured I had literally years to figure out a welcoming party while these guys were on the mission.

So: are there any rules about getting the Jool-5 astronauts and science that last 70 km home?

Do they have to do it with only what they brought with them? (I guess I could try to add parachutes to everything.)

Or can they have support? (i.e. just returning to the warm embrace of my massive orbital infrastructure, and then KSC)

Thanks,

Sorry, been out of town and didn't warn anyone.

The lander started fully fueled, the tug started half-fueled. (1:30). The lander's fuel tanks were locked, so the indicators seen while draining from the tug showed how mush fuel the tug had left. Fuel was drained from the tug (1:35) until it was empty, and then it was decoupled. The lander's tanks were then unlocked, and since no fuel had drained from the lander, they were full (1:37). The indicators now showed full fuel.

The reason I want a wordless badge is that I like a non-distracting sig. However, I am content with the standard badge, if standardization pleases you.

Hey, okay, that's absolutely convincing! :) I don't have much time know but will accept your mission soon!

Hm, I don't like badge idea without the text, sorry!

Although I have just realised that due to the design of my lander I can get back on board without a ladder even from Laythe and Tylo. So would it be sufficient to demonstrate how I would do that?

The point is that the Kerbals have to be on the surface of every moon with their feet. :) If you can go back into the lander without a ladder then it'd be okay too, if you show me how you did it.

Edited by Ziv

Hi, new here and am planning to try this challenge--launching everything in single launch in 20k+ ton rocket.

Is RealChute mod allowed or not?

RealChute makes the mission easier but I guess it's a good addition to the stock. I never used it so please let me know if they are cheaty in any way!

Also please consider that elegant solutions are more appreciated than brute force! :D

Just noticing that my JOOL-5 flight plan ends with the arrival in Kerbin orbit. I have massive orbital infrastructure, and really consider LKO home. Getting all the Kerbals and the science back to the surface was something I hadn’t figured out yet.

They might dock at Kerman Station, where there are landers waiting, or I might send up space planes to shuttle the astronauts home, either way I was going to probably have to design some sort of special science module deorbiting vehicles, but I figured I had literally years to figure out a welcoming party while these guys were on the mission.

So: are there any rules about getting the Jool-5 astronauts and science that last 70 km home?

Do they have to do it with only what they brought with them? (I guess I could try to add parachutes to everything.)

Or can they have support? (i.e. just returning to the warm embrace of my massive orbital infrastructure, and then KSC)

Thanks,

If you went for Jebediah's level then you definitely have to land the five science package OR the Lab onto the surface, that's mandatory to gain Jebediah's Level.

And rule 8:

8. All the Kerbals have to arrive back to Kerbin surface at the end, happy and alive.

So you have to land them. In rare cases, when the mission had more interesting things than what the basic rules had requested or there were some special nice solution then I can get over the fact if the Kerbals don't land on their own when returning but with some kind of help, or if they stay in an orbital station.

So, the key thing is if you just want to skip that part of the mission or you have better, more complex or other unique solutions (which needs some more work than the basic mission). If the latter then you are welcome and I will accept it! :)

Edited by Ziv

Cool.

Realize The JOOL-5 Challenger (that's the name of it) will be one of several ships returning from Jool, so I'm planning a "welcoming party" of ships in orbit ready to help all the Kerbals and science down to the planet.

(and I can figure all that out while they're on their way back)

This is going to be fun!

:D

BTW: aiming for Jeb Level!

Edited by Brainlord Mesomorph

RealChute makes the mission easier but I guess it's a good addition to the stock. I never used it so please let me know if they are cheaty in any way!

I can confirm that there is nothing cheaty about RealChutes. It allows you to deploy your parachutes gradually without inducing 15+ Gs and it introduces some very useful parts, like the stack mounted parachute. Other than that, the parachutes behave very similarly to stock. In fact, I'd argue that using RealChutes is more difficult than stock, since the parachutes deploy gradually, you might end up smashing into the ground if you come in too fast.

I can confirm that there is nothing cheaty about RealChutes. It allows you to deploy your parachutes gradually without inducing 15+ Gs and it introduces some very useful parts, like the stack mounted parachute. Other than that, the parachutes behave very similarly to stock. In fact, I'd argue that using RealChutes is more difficult than stock, since the parachutes deploy gradually, you might end up smashing into the ground if you come in too fast.

Also it makes parachutes look prettier. One other useful feature is, if you repack the chute, it goes back to the staging list as well.

It can adjust drag of the chute according to your ship's mass and target atmosphere (you'll need to setup, if it's not setup, it goes for default), but as the drag increases, the mass of the chute unit itself goes up as well. Each unit has a maximum amount of drag it can generate, so it's usually a good idea to add multiple to a big one.

Though it's not compatible with FASA pack, as far as I know, the Apollo parachute's inflatable things will stay deployed in flight, and the Apollo docking ports won't dock. Well, it's really not a problem since FASA isn't allowed to be used here anyway.

Edited by Wavechaser

Hi Ziv, below you can see my Amerìgo project I would like to use for the challenge. Is there anything you can see that needs a redesign to fit the rules? It is stock apart from MJ and some "improvement" mods like KAC and EVE. If there is anything you want to have a closer look at just let me know.

Thank you.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

^^^

I like how there's launch clamps for the launch clamps xD

Did not really know where to attach so many of them (I never really managed to have a good stable launch with less than 32 with such a heavy design, not to mention the broken launchpads), so I tried once just to see if it could be "kerbal stuff". I do not really know how or even IF it works but it seems to help my launchpad to stay there. :)

Da Plan

The plan was to launch a single ship that would fly to Jool, areobrake around Jool, manoeuvre into orbit around each of Laythe, Vall and Tylo in order and land the lander on each them returning to the mothership in orbit of the moon. To land on Tylo the lander has attachable engines to increase delta-v.

Then take the lander to Bop from a Jool orbit to avoid having the change in the inclination of the mothership's orbit to intercept Bop.

Move the mothership into orbit around Pol and land the lander on Pol.

And finally return the main ship to Kerbin.

What actually happened

The plan was followed except that we found ourselves on an intercept to Laythe so didn't need to areobrake around Jool. Everything else went according to plan.

Pictures

Ship and lander: http://imgur.com/a/MeXmw

Launch: http://imgur.com/a/6Dgpw

Transfer: http://imgur.com/a/cZupt

Laythe: http://imgur.com/a/veVCU

Vall: http://imgur.com/a/TzWjI

Tylo: http://imgur.com/a/CfOtb

Bop: http://imgur.com/a/YxdvH

Pol: http://imgur.com/a/GWCDC

Return: http://imgur.com/a/vsTB7

Modules

The only module we used was KerbalEngineer.

Scansat and Mechjeb are installed but were not used for this mission

Conclusion

We landed on all the Jool moons and made it back alive but like the real life moon landings some people will never believe it happened!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It has been an amazing two months. I would finally, proudly, like to announce to completion of:

ECHO'S KERBOL GRAND TOUR

(Jebediah's Level + Grand Tour + 17 Reddit Weekly Challenges)

Thunderous Echo: Congratulation, you have finished the JOOL-5 Challenge on Jebediah's Level + a Grand Tour!

Really nice Grand Tour! I loved that your videos have a good pace and some good effects and parallel cuts.

That's fun that you landed on Kerbin and planted a flag there too!!! :D :D

The tour was well planned with some minimalistic solution. I liked that you used nukes for Tylo, that's a rare but viable solution. I also liked your ion rover at Laythe! :D

You brought five Experimental Package and docked it with the lander every time wich is very rare since the Lab. More work, more appreciation! :) And you landed them back to Kerbin surface as needed, nice job.

Well done, awesome Grand Tour! :cool:

Edited by Ziv

Thunderous Echo: Congratulation, you have finished the JOOL-5 Challenge on Jebediah's Level + a Grand Tour!

Really nice Grand Tour! I loved that your videos have a good pace and some good effects and parallel cuts.

That's fun that you landed on Kerbin and planted a flag there too!!! :D :D

The tour was well planned with some minimalistic solution. I liked that you used nukes for Tylo, that's a rare but viable solution. I also liked your ion rover at Laythe! :D

You brought five Experimental Package and docked it with the lander every time wich is very rare since the Lab. More work, more appreciation! :) And you landed them back to Kerbin surface as needed, nice job.

Well done, awesome Grand Tour! :cool:

aw yiss.

Science Packages: Since I was only bringing the minimum science possible to do the challenge, 5 packages were lighter than 1 and a lab. Plus, I could have not done the Pol-Bop part with only 1 package.

The Tylo-Nuke Solution: It was the cheapest lander I could think of that could bring a Science package to Tylo and back. It ended up not being able to do it on its own though, so I had to use a tug. This solution also gave me the extra functionality of being able to do the Pol-Bop part and treated me well when the fuel lines on Hermes failed.

Flag on Kerbin: That was for the Hey, Where's My Wallet? Reddit Weekly Challenge.

Minimalistic solutions: I'm sorry, what?

Laythe Ion Rover: Tried to do the Ribbit, Ribbit challenge, but Laythe's ice caps have weird slopes.

Hi Ziv, below you can see my Amerìgo project I would like to use for the challenge. Is there anything you can see that needs a redesign to fit the rules? It is stock apart from MJ and some "improvement" mods like KAC and EVE. If there is anything you want to have a closer look at just let me know.

Thank you.

http://imgur.com/a/Hldzg

Looks good! I love the cupola there, there will be a good sighting from there!

Looks good! I love the cupola there, there will be a good sighting from there!

Yamato wannabes need a captain chair. :)

I'm on my way, I hope I can finish the mission in this bank holiday long week end.

KVGufHe.png

Hey Guys,

I'm going for a two weeks vacation but

I'LL BE BACK IN 21TH OF DECEMBER,

so don't worry, I'll answer and review everything then! :) See you!

Have a good one dude, I'll try to drop by more regularly and answer any questions that come up to the best of my ability! (As usual, anything I'm unsure of I'll defer to you on your return :) )

Kinda handy that I'm recovering from an operation at the moment and have the time off work! (Don't worry, it was just a septoplasty to correct my deviated septum [cartilage in my nose!])

Well, I was going to start this challenge this week but wanted to see about getting modular rocket systems approved.

Link:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/93067-0-25-Modular-Rocket-Systems-v1-3-2-%282014-12-03%29-Stock-alike-Parts-Pack?highlight=Modular+Rocket

Well I guess I can wait until the 21st.

Well, I was going to start this challenge this week but wanted to see about getting modular rocket systems approved.

Link:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/93067-0-25-Modular-Rocket-Systems-v1-3-2-%282014-12-03%29-Stock-alike-Parts-Pack?highlight=Modular+Rocket

Well I guess I can wait until the 21st.

Reading thorugh the post, it seems to have been kept as stock-like as possible (hell, it's by NecroBones with a lot of input by RedIronCrown!) so I feel confident in saying that I'm pretty sure Ziv would approve of this particular parts pack... heck, I'm tempted to get it myself, and could well be a contender for being a mod that we could see added into the game someday...

BUT, having said that, I would just use the current analogues if possible (like the 4x nuclear engines instead of the 4x2.5m nuclear engine in the pack) or the parts that don't add any other sort of advantage (those cargo bays look awesome!) for now, or as you say, wait till Ziv gets back for a definite answer :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.