(OLD) The Ultimate Jool-5 Challenge:land Kerbals on all moons and return in one big mission

Ziv

WOW... go Ziv!

I'm just gonna quietly mention that my nowhere-near impressive mission is done, final writeup complete, please, be as harsh as you feel you need to!

As I said before, learnt SO much from doing this epic challenge, and I'll probably try again in the near future when I have built up my new career save enough :wink::D

This challenge is still taking submissions, right?

Yep, until Ziv says otherwise... But I view this as a classic challenge that should get stickied, it is perfect for those looking to leap ahead in knowledge of the game, science for the tech tree god and to get up close and personal with 5/6 bodies that you may not have attempted yet as they can be daunting to travel to, from, and in-between...

My 600 tonne ship is an embarrassment compared to just over 9 tonnes, but what the heck. This is my submission:

Flight of the Raven (Since everyone else is going to Jool...)

I'm not sure it meets all the criteria, but I did land 2 kerbals on each of Jool's moons without a resupply mission. Hold onto your processors, there are a lot of pictures.

JK

JayKay, that looks like a nice mission and I already started to write the review of that but I realized that you left your main ship around Laythe in a highly eccentric orbit (and maybe with notable inclination) and to go back there refueling is really hard and needs a lot of DeltaV so I would need pictures about all the going-backs and dockings with deltaV and fuel stats at every important stage of the mission (leaving the main ship, when landed, and when arriving back to the mothership) and so I can track how much dV you used and how much fuel you used from the main ship and so... this is especially important because you started your Tylo landing too from Laythe's orbit! That adds to the already big amount of dV requirements!

I'm sorry for asking these but I have to see if the mission was really possible with the given amount of fuel and the deltaV's of th ships, landers, tugs were enough.

I'm sorry for asking these but I have to see if the mission was really possible with the given amount of fuel and the deltaV's of th ships, landers, tugs were enough.

Wow, it never occurred to me that people would cheat to win this challenge. Well, I do have some more screen shots with the hud up at various places, and I can provide shots of the landers in the VAB with dV readings showing.

To be honest, I was worried about the Tylo landing, too. Coming in hot like that made me wonder if it could land on its existing fuel supply. I figured it would use up at least a portion of the ascent module's fuel, but it actually came in under budget anyways. I was figuring on 3000 dV for the lander, including the ascent module fully fueled for another 3000 dV. Apparently, that was plenty.

As for the inclination of the mother ship around Laythe, that was a bit of a pain. I had tried to come in on the equator, but the intercept jumped when I crossed the SOI boundary, and I had to do what I could to salvage the situation. I considered doing a plane change with the mother ship, but decided that would use more fuel than having the landers having to do it on their return journeys. That was what got the Vall lander in trouble, there wasn't enough fuel to do the inclination change and get a rendezvous, so I had to send the second tug to go get them.

I can tack the additional images onto my post in Mission Reports. If you need any other documentation, I will see what I can find.

JK

Wow, it never occurred to me that people would cheat to win this challenge.

Yeah, unfortunately I already had to disqualify some entries because of cheating (Hyperedit fuel refilling or simple teleporting) or because missing some rules. Maybe I should update the first page to draw attention to include pictures AND data of all the important steps.

Thanks for the update, looks perfect, I'm going to write the review!

Maybe I should update the first page to draw attention to include pictures AND data of all the important steps.

Actually, I just set out to do it and never checked if there were any rules until I had almost finished, so it wouldn't have helped in my case. I'm glad there was enough there to validate my entry.

JK

My 600 tonne ship is an embarrassment compared to just over 9 tonnes, but what the heck. This is my submission:

Flight of the Raven (Since everyone else is going to Jool...)

I'm not sure it meets all the criteria, but I did land 2 kerbals on each of Jool's moons without a resupply mission. Hold onto your processors, there are a lot of pictures.

JK

JayKay, Congratulations, you have finished the JOOL-5 Challenge on Level 2 with landing two Kerbals on all the moons!

(it could be a Jebediah's Level if you'd have brought a science module onto Tylo too!)

Thanks for the additional pictures, now I need only one important thing: launches. People looking at the missions would know how you launched all the stuff up there and how many launches were used, so please upload pictures about your lifters too!

It seems like you wanted to go with a nice big mission with a lot of feature which is not in the requirements or the rules, that's cool! Probes, Cupola, additonal Kerbals and habitat modules, and so...

I really liked that you sent many probes around, most of the missions didn't have any probes or rovers. I especially liked the MechJeb probes, and I realized that I have never tried them!

Your solution for more science with the double Mk1s is good idea! And the ladder solution is really unique! :D

That's strange that you used those little orange radial engines for your tug because they are not really fuel efficient... but using the lander's engines solved it. :) And yeah, putting the main RCS fuel tank there was a mistake too. But no worries, I didn't see too much JOOL-5 mission without turning out some problem or planning error. :)

Sending the second transfer stage for the Vall lander after it was short on fuel on Laythe was a nice save! But what I don't understand why most of the people leaves the main ship around one of the moons... Getting back to Laythe (or any other moon) takes much more deltaV than just get back to the mothership in orbit between say Vall and Tylo... :)

I saw Tylo caused some trouble but you managed it. Nice one. By the way this is why I love the Jool-5 mission: it's very-very hard but there's usually a lot of module at the end and replanning is possible during the mission (and there is the possible refueling as a last opportunity:P).

The little additional "stages" on the lander's top with the sepratons looks funny!

And I really loved that you were bringing Habitat modules to Tylo and Laythe (and I'm sorry that you had to drop the Tylo one). On Laythe it looked very good and with the background it was picturesque.

At the end you didn't land the original Lab but I accept the solution that you sent up an other one and packed the science over... and it's not a Jebediah's Level so it's not in the rules for the other levels anyway.

At overall, this was a really nice and complex mission with some new or interesting solutions. Thank you for your entry! :)

Please let me know when you uploaded pictures about the launches too and then I will post this mission into the Hall of Fame!

Edited by Ziv

Yeah, that link is to page 2 but easy enough to go page 1 from there :)

this is the link in your Signature so change it if you want people to start with the first post! ;)

JayKay, Congratulations, you have finished the JOOL-5 Challenge on Level 2 with landing two Kerbals on all the moons!

Thanks, Ziv. It was an interesting challenge; I recommend it to anyone who's played the game for a while.

That's strange that you used those little orange radial engines for your tug because they are not really fuel efficient... but using the lander's engines solved it.

Actually, those engines would only have been used in an emergency if I had to send the tug out by itself. I appreciate that they aren't really functional on a ship that size. I just wanted a way to move it on its own if needed, and they had to be radially mounted so that the Sr port could be on the end. As it stands, they were never needed.

Thanks for the additional pictures, now I need only one important thing: launches.

No problem, there are lots more screen shots in my file.

JK

Updated so it's on page 1 again :)

OMG Cmdr.Arn1e... I'm checking your mission but I got lost in the ship variants, launches, refuelings, Tylo lander sending after the main ship (???), etc... and I have the same problem with you as it was with JayKay: I didn't see pictures about the launching/docking of the main ship.

But for now the main question: what was that Tylo lander change during the mission? You started with this one and this was on your ship until starting the Tylo landing:

29C1B949797A9AC6AB5E9601B747CEC8AC93F47A

then there was that one (on the left) with medium boosters (what? how? when?) and there is this new, more bigger one on the right side from nowhere, and you used this one for the landing:

1386ABCE1F4BB623E54B79E4713D225CFFCD637E

But for now the main question: what was that Tylo lander change during the mission? You started with this one and this was on your ship until starting the Tylo landing:

[snip]

then there was that one (on the left) with medium boosters (what? how? when?) and there is this new, more bigger one on the right side from nowhere, and you used this one for the landing:

[snip]

I'm sure I have screenshots to show the previous iterations, just having a look to see how well I can clarify that particular entry...

EDIT: not uploaded atm, hang fire and I shall post again once I've got it sorted...

Edited by Cmdr. Arn1e

The Milne has successfully returned from the Jool-5 Kethane Challenge! I gave a brief introduction back on page 144: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/57197-The-Ultimate-Jool-5-Challenge-land-Kerbals-on-all-moons-and-return-in-one-big-mission?p=1310169&viewfull=1#post1310169

Here's the scoring total and the photo journal. Points I think I earned are on the far left of each row.

330 Mission points

179 Laythe points

124 Vall points

258 Tylo points

129 Bop points

129 Pol points

1149 Total points

POINTS BREAKDOWN

OVERALL MISSION POINTS:

45 +5 for every Kerbal on the mission

20 +20 Jool impactor probe (max 1)

20 +20 Jool orbiting satellite (max 1)

0 +20 Main Ship remains in orbit around Jool as a Space Station (max 1)

10 +10 for a Mobile Lab

-100 -100 if Nuke engines are used (if Isp is greater than 799 in vacuum and uses fuel+oxidizer)

0 -50 if a Kerbal dies

50 +50 Main Ship is somewhat refueled from a moon's Kethane resource (max 1)

40 +40 Kethane sample brought back to Kerbin

20 +5 for every Kerbal return to Kerbin (max 5)

560 (brought back 16,811 points, after subtracting science not from Jool) special points for science: science points brought back in a Mobile Lab to Kerbin, divided by 30

-335 initial Full Ship Weight modifier: -1 point for every ton in Kerbin Orbit before leaving to Jool

330 overall mission points

POINTS COUNTED PER MOON:

Laythe

10 +10 for mining Kethane (max. one per moon)

10 +10 mapping/communication satellite

40 +10 Kerbal landed

50 +50 Landing a Mobile Lab (max 1)

50 +50 if both surface/water samples were brought back to Kerbin

8 +2 permanent living space per Kerbal in orbit around the moon (same rules as before)

6 +6 remaining Kerbal in moon's orbit (max 5)

5 +5 remaining mapping/communication satellite (max 1)

179 total for Laythe

Vall

40 +10 Kerbal landed

8 +2 permanent living space per Kerbal in orbit around the moon (same rules as before)

0 +5 remaining mapping/communication satellite (max 1)

124 total for Vall

Tylo

40 +10 Kerbal landed

129 subtotal for Tylo

258 Tylo Special: doubles all the points

258 total for Tylo

Bop

40 +10 Kerbal landed

129 total for Bop

Pol

40 +10 Kerbal landed

129 total for Pol

There are 159 images in the album.

Javascript is disabled. View full album
Edited by Norcalplanner
Edited to take out the science points not from Jool

The Milne has successfully returned from the Jool-5 Kethane Challenge! I gave a brief introduction back on page 144, so here's the scoring total and the photo journal. Points I think I earned are on the far left of each row

330 Mission points

179 Laythe points

124 Vall points

258 Tylo points

129 Bop points

129 Pol points

1149 Total points

POINTS BREAKDOWN

OVERALL MISSION POINTS:

45 +5 for every Kerbal on the mission

20 +20 Jool impactor probe (max 1)

20 +20 Jool orbiting satellite (max 1)

0 +20 Main Ship remains in orbit around Jool as a Space Station (max 1)

10 +10 for a Mobile Lab

-100 -100 if Nuke engines are used (if Isp is greater than 799 in vacuum and uses fuel+oxidizer)

0 -50 if a Kerbal dies

50 +50 Main Ship is somewhat refueled from a moon's Kethane resource (max 1)

40 +40 Kethane sample brought back to Kerbin

20 +5 for every Kerbal return to Kerbin (max 5)

560 (brought back 16,811 points, after subtracting science not from Jool) special points for science: science points brought back in a Mobile Lab to Kerbin, divided by 30

-335 initial Full Ship Weight modifier: -1 point for every ton in Kerbin Orbit before leaving to Jool

330 overall mission points

POINTS COUNTED PER MOON:

Laythe

40 +10 Kerbal landed

50 +50 if both surface/water samples were brought back to Kerbin

179 total for Laythe

Vall

40 +10 Kerbal landed

0 +5 remaining mapping/communication satellite (max 1)

124 total for Vall

Tylo

40 +10 Kerbal landed

129 subtotal for Tylo

258 Tylo Special: doubles all the points

258 total for Tylo

Bop

40 +10 Kerbal landed

129 total for Bop

Pol

40 +10 Kerbal landed

129 total for Pol

There are 159 images in the album.

http://imgur.com/a/wQsqI

Norcalplanner: Congratulations, you have finished a JOOL-5 Kethane Expedition!

This is nice that you named the ships after Milne's characters. And I love your flag! :)

That was a good idea that you can change the cargo on the lander so it can bring fuel to the main ship, or bring the science module. That was funny that you went back to Tylo and landed once again - I think nobody did that before! And good job with the scanner probes and the remaining orbital bases too. Maybe the only downside of the mission was the need for many refueling trips, wasn't?

That was a thorough Kethane Expedition, well done! :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.