[0.25] RasterPropMonitor - putting the A in your IVA (v0.18.3) [8 Oct]

Mihara

Bump. :)

Version 0.11b out, fixing SCANsat support, one small bug in MechJebRPM and that problem with loading multiple cameras from a craft file.

Confirmed working for me with the latest version of SCANsat (Build5) and MechJeb Dev build 138.

I did run into something odd. I couldn't get the docking port cameras to work unless I set them to any value 3 or higher. If a docking port was assigned ID 1 or ID 2 the MFD would display "No Signal", but if I assigned the port 3 or higher, it worked fine. Expected behavior ?

For some reason, with the latest MechJeb dev build, and no SCANSAT installed, the latest version of RasterPropMonitor seems to make my game 'hang' for a while every time I re-enter a Mk1 cockpit from EVA. Has anyone else encountered this?

For some reason, with the latest MechJeb dev build, and no SCANSAT installed, the latest version of RasterPropMonitor seems to make my game 'hang' for a while every time I re-enter a Mk1 cockpit from EVA. Has anyone else encountered this?

Whatever it was, looks like the 11b build cleared it up!

I've redone the patch config for the Mk2 Cockpit mod. Sam Hall repackaged it to work with MM 1.5 and did some minor tweaks to props, so I redone the MFD's just in case some things caused problems.

Here is link to Mk2 Cockpit mod. The OP doesn't show it has been updated but if you download spaceport version it has been updated.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/44012-Mk2-Cockpit-Internals/page7

I also added MFD's to the Home Grown Rocket parts(HGR) Stock alike 2 man pod. I just realized he reuploaded one yesterday and I need to check it against my old test version I got from him, to see if it works. This is only a quick throw together until the final IVA and prop placement is settled upon.

Edit: Everything worked fine, so here is link to posted code:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/60974-Home-Grown-Rocket-parts%28HGR%29-Stock-alike-2-man-pod-Update-Dec-17?p=854439#post854439

Edited by therealcrow999

I couldn't get the docking port cameras to work unless I set them to any value 3 or higher. If a docking port was assigned ID 1 or ID 2 the MFD would display "No Signal", but if I assigned the port 3 or higher, it worked fine. Expected behavior ?

Sort of. In the configuration that came out with version 0.11-0.11b , "DockingPortCam1" is always on the target camera page on button 3, while DockingPortCam2-8 are all on button 7. That does not explain what happened to DockingPortCam2.

Are you sure this is exactly what's happening?

I also added MFD's to the Home Grown Rocket parts(HGR) Stock alike 2 man pod. I just realized he reuploaded one yesterday and I need to check it against my old test version I got from him, to see if it works. This is only a quick throw together until the final IVA and prop placement is settled upon.

He actually asked me about the including RPM in it natively.

Hey guys, loving the mod, but can someone give me an easy step by step of setting up the cameras?

Not enough context. Answers will be different depending on whether you're making a new IVA / patching RPM into an existing IVA, or you're just trying to get extra cameras to show on the prop that you get with this package. Which of the two are you doing?

EDIT: Meanwhile, development goes on. Muahahahaha.

RURAbtA.png

Yes, I know the character test screen is a horrible mess now. :)

Edited by Mihara

Stock Mk1 Capsule. Just got the mod installed tonight so everything is default, I would have figured that there would be some sort of part that you add in the VAB to put a camera on it?

In 0.11(B) example prop, all docking ports are configured to be cameras, and will show up on repeated clicking on button 7 -- selecting which port will have which number is done through tweakables. (The first one will show on the target page) If you wish for a more camera-like camera, you can download ALCOR and use it's cameras, which are configured on button 8.

In 0.12 I guess I'll make a camera part out of an RCS thruster or something.

I actually got around to gutting Mk1 pod and redoing the IVA more or less properly, with three monitors, backup instruments and everything. :)

4sen7av.png

Though I suppose I should also replace most of those dummy switches with ASET props...

Lol, I guess if you want those MFD's to fit the way you want, you have to redo all the props. This works better, you can achieve the look you want.

These are going to be pretty nice.

Did you just delete the whole Sqaud prop order in Unity and start from scratch?

I actually got around to gutting Mk1 pod and redoing the IVA more or less properly, with three monitors, backup instruments and everything. :)

http://i.imgur.com/4sen7av.png

Though I suppose I should also replace most of those dummy switches with ASET props...

So if I get this right, this basically adds MFDs to the stock capsules?

If so, BRIL-LI-ANT :D That'll make IVA flying so much more interesting ^.^

The package "as is", basically, yes - stock and mod and other capsules. It's more important function is to be "that mod where RasterPropMonitor.dll plugin comes from" because quite a few other mods by now are using it to do even more elaborate things to IVA than simple MFDs. :)

For 0.12 camera prop, maybe you could use the one from the ALCOR lander pack?

I don't want to create a duplicate part to distribute it, and I don't want another part name conflict. :) Here, that will serve:

PART
{
// --- general parameters ---
name = JSIPrimitiveExternalCamera
module = Part
author = C. Jenkins / Mihara

// --- asset parameters ---
MODEL
{
model = Squad/Parts/Utility/linearRCS/model
texture = model000,Squad/Props/throttle/model000
}

// --- node definitions ---
// definition format is Position X, Position Y, Position Z, Up X, Up Y, Up Z
node_attach = 0.0, 0.0 , 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0

// --- editor parameters ---
TechRequired = scienceTech
entryCost = 4200
cost = 400
category = Utility
subcategory = 0
title = Primitive External Radial-mount Camera
manufacturer = Junk Systems Inc.
description = Customers who like multi-function displays with JSI software keep looking around for simple external camera options. This is a most primitive camera, but it will serve.

// attachment rules: stack, srfAttach, allowStack, allowSrfAttach, allowCollision
attachRules = 0,1,0,0,0

// --- standard part parameters ---
mass = 0.04
dragModelType = default
maximum_drag = 0.05
minimum_drag = 0.05
angularDrag = 1
crashTolerance = 8
maxTemp = 1200

MODULE
{
name = JSIExternalCameraSelector
cameraContainer = RCSthruster
rotateCamera = -90,0,0
cameraIDPrefix = ExtCam
}

}

Can you, you know, upload those new mk1 IVA's? They look pretty darn sweet :3

Oh all right. :Phttps://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/532373/Mk1-patches-early-access.zip

Did you just delete the whole Sqaud prop order in Unity and start from scratch?

No, there's a much simpler and less damaging way to do it:

1. Locate Squad's internal.cfg.
  2. Make a copy of that internal.cfg somewhere else. Edit it to give it a new internal name.
  3. Edit it to refer to Squad's internal model using a MODEL node: MODEL {model = Squad/Spaces/...} -- as far as I can tell, all IVAs are made to scale 1:1 so there's no need for other options than the model reference.
  4. Now spawn it in unity using the new name you gave it. It will spawn, voila - you have a separate INTERNAL that you can do whatever to without affecting Squad's original IVA, including removing props or populating it from scratch.
  5. Make a ModuleManager patch to swap the INTERNAL reference around. :)

See that file above for details.

I don't want to create a duplicate part to distribute it, and I don't want another part name conflict. :) Here, that will serve:

But ALCOR-camera part will also work out-of-the-box, right?

Also, I want the new IVAs. And since I won't be able to play KSP in the next days, maybe .12 will be out when I finally start .23 for the first time :)

But ALCOR-camera part will also work out-of-the-box, right?

Since 0.11, yes.

Also, I want the new IVAs. And since I won't be able to play KSP in the next days, maybe .12 will be out when I finally start .23 for the first time :)

Based on the past release dates, average is 7 days between releases or so. :)

I seriously need competent, inquisitive testers, though, with their own part-making skills, so that they could find all the cases where RPM breaks which only become apparent when someone else tries to make a monitor from scratch...

I'm making a monitor from scratch right now.. I was curious if there was a way to "hide" a button so that clicking it does nothing. I'm trying to create a menu, and after I press the button I would like to turn it "off" until I'm back at that same screen again. Also, is there a simple way to add just an overlay (like your static mask in the PFD) to any screen?

I'm making a monitor from scratch right now.. I was curious if there was a way to "hide" a button so that clicking it does nothing. I'm trying to create a menu, and after I press the button I would like to turn it "off" until I'm back at that same screen again.

I don't quite understand what kind of a menu did you have in mind, because, well, pages are pages, they aren't exactly meant to be part of a menu system... Once a page is active, clicking it's button does exactly nothing except sounding a beep.

I suppose a page handler that presents a user-definable menu of what is otherwise normal text pages is not out of the question, though.

Also, is there a simple way to add just an overlay (like your static mask in the PFD) to any screen?

Not at this moment, but you can use a JSIActionGroupSwitch with a dummy action to toggle an extra plane on and off like it was done in some of ALCOR monitors.

Oh, I've also made new IVAs for Mk1-2 pod and cupola. (See the album in the OP). They'll be released in 0.12 proper, but you can play with them right now if you like, here's the set of patch files: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/532373/Mk1-patches-early-access.zip

I'll leave the Mk2 lander can for someone else to do. :)

Beautiful work, Mihara! Your monitors really have changed the way I play KSP. It brings in enough of Orbiter's IVA functionality without pushing things too far.