[0.25] RasterPropMonitor - putting the A in your IVA (v0.18.3) [8 Oct]

Mihara

However, it does not add any Lazor features (like working while detached, if I understand what you're saying) to RPM. I suspect that would require someone to make a plugin for RPM to interface with Lazor, similar to the MechJebRPM and SCANsatRPM plugins.

This is the biggest part we require, the ability to still view the camera whilst still being in IVA from the parent craft!

Do you happen to know who made the scansat and MJ dll's please?!

I've been playing with the new HUD prop, and while it's pretty cool it is a bit limiting. Who made it? I'd like to see a single button on the lower left or right side. The reason being, the information you want for atmospheric flight is not the same as the information you want for orbital flights. I can probably push that down to the main MFD, but I could definitely make use of a button up top.

Alexustas made it at my request. I specifically asked for no buttons because, if you're already in orbit, you probably want a navball instead and the ladder is not very suitable in the first place because it inherently suffers from gimbal lock -- fine for aircraft, not so fine for spacecraft which go 'up'. Navballs look out of place on transparent screens, in my opinion.

If you still think it's necessary, I'll ask him for a button, but no promises.

EDIT: I've also run into an odd problem, my HUD elements don't retain their color. For some reason they are all white. Any ideas?

EDIT3: So ... I guess it's washing the colors out? I went ahead and checked with some other colors and realized I forgot to check the screenshot RPM puts out, and wouldn't you know, it shows up correctly. This is the picture RPM takes versus what you see on screen.

Colors are applied like a 'multiply' Photoshop layer. This is a shader thing. That's how the letters are printed too.

To get the colors exactly as you want you need to manipulate the various tint variables and the colors on the textures themselves.

I added this triangle with full saturation, and though its color is correct, you can see a lot of visual artifacts around it (the yellow and green).

Because they are present on your original bitmap. Draw over a transparent layer, don't just select a white background and delete it.

EDIT2: Is it possible to display the heading indicator on the HUD?

Doesn't the heading bar work?...

I have asked in their forum but would it be possible to integrate the Lazor mod cameras into RPM as me and Syvos are trying to have remote controlled probes and the lazor cams can be detached from the current craft and still work whereas the alcor/raster ones can not! Lazor cams have a separate window for each cam as an overlay i would like them in the mfd's the same as RPM ones. we are trying to design an IVA capable/self repairing craft.

Making the cameras shut out when separated from the craft is a deliberate design decision because I do not want to deal with pack distance and packed vessels and the entire mess that arises because of KSP physics engine deficiencies. If you desire Lazors functionality, you should use Lazors. If you want Lazors to display data on RPM screens, you should take it up with Romfarer, it's perfectly possible. RPM APIs are public, well documented, and do not require introducing hard dependencies. RPM screens were deliberately made to be easy to interface to without making them mandatory.

Do you happen to know who made the scansat and MJ dll's please?!

It's an ancient lost technology, created by unfathomable genius of the Precursors, that will forever stay beyond the understanding of mortal men such as ourselves... Don't be silly and read the manual.

I wrote SCANsatRPM, MOARdV is mostly responsible for MechJebRPM. That does not mean I'm up to making any more such interface plugins, because they are a solution by definition suboptimal and hard to maintain. (I'm planning to make one for kOS when a clear successor kOS emerges, but I promised that one long ago.) If anyone is in fact up to making other interface plugins, once again, RPM API's are public and open, RPM sources are open and GPL, and I even accept pull requests.

If you still think it's necessary, I'll ask him for a button, but no promises.

Colors are applied like a 'multiply' Photoshop layer. This is a shader thing. That's how the letters are printed too.

To get the colors exactly as you want you need to manipulate the various tint variables and the colors on the textures themselves.

Because they are present on your original bitmap. Draw over a transparent layer, don't just select a white background and delete it.

Doesn't the heading bar work?...

As far as the button is concerned, you may have overlooked something. Once in space, I may want to turn it off altogether if that information is no longer relevant, or provide an entirely different sheet of information.

Next up, I assure you, I am using a transparent layer in Photoshop (I'm using PNGs). But transparency doesn't seem to work correctly. I tried adding an alpha layer which has absolutely no impact, and I've also tried just reducing the layer opacity and saving it as is. The results are as you see it. Anything less than 100% saturation turns white, and anything less than 100% opacity has mixed results. Completely transparent works fine, opaque is great, anything in between is a crap shoot and usually has visual artifacts. I'll fiddle around with it some more, but I have trouble believing its working appropriately. As I pointed out, the screenshots RPM is pumping out look fine, but the display in-game is not. Those two screenshots are taken at the same time, you can SEE the visual disparity between what RPM has and what the screen shows. I doubt seriously that is intended but it may be related to the hud prop, I'll test it on a normal monitor.

And finally, the ladder or artificial horizon does work, but there is a disparity between where the plane is pointing and where the plane is going and both pieces of information are important. I'd love to see a slip indicator on the HUD as well but that can be somewhat extrapolated from the heading marker. The heading marker would be optional, as not all flight displays have them when they are just concerned with the artificial horizon. Being able to choose between the ladder relying on aircraft attitude or actual direction would be useful as well. Right now the artificial horizon can lie to you since you could be nose up on it, but still heading into the ground.

Edited by Hyomoto

It's an ancient lost technology, created by unfathomable genius of the Precursors, that will forever stay beyond the understanding of mortal men such as ourselves... Don't be silly and read the manual.

I like this version better. Mind if I edit the wiki to this version? :)

And finally, the ladder or artificial horizon does work, but there is a disparity between where the plane is pointing and where the plane is going and both pieces of information are important. I'd love to see a slip indicator on the HUD as well but that can be somewhat extrapolated from the heading marker. The heading marker would be optional, as not all flight displays have them when they are just concerned with the artificial horizon. Being able to choose between the ladder relying on aircraft attitude or actual direction would be useful as well. Right now the artificial horizon can lie to you since you could be nose up on it, but still heading into the ground.

That would be similar to Issue #29, I think. It fell off my plate during 0.14 because I got caught up tweaking JSIOrbitalDisplay, and then got side-tracked with redoing the FASA Gemini interior. I'll see if I can get prograde vectors on the compass strip and ladder this week.

That would be similar to Issue #29, I think. It fell off my plate during 0.14 because I got caught up tweaking JSIOrbitalDisplay, and then got side-tracked with redoing the FASA Gemini interior. I'll see if I can get prograde vectors on the compass strip and ladder this week.

Damn you for being awesome! I read the issue and that sounds about right. On the heading bar, that should represent slip well enough. The only recommendation I would make is, if possible, allowing us to either choose the color of the indicators, or draw the indicators ourselves. Based on your previous work I expect that was already the case, but it doesn't hurt to bring it up :)

Damn you for being awesome! I read the issue and that sounds about right. On the heading bar, that should represent slip well enough. The only recommendation I would make is, if possible, allowing us to either choose the color of the indicators, or draw the indicators ourselves. Based on your previous work I expect that was already the case, but it doesn't hurt to bring it up :)

Color and icon size will be configurable, as (usually) always. It would be possible to support a custom icon instead of the prograde vector, especially since we won't be exactly representing prograde here, but I don't want to do both (just for the extra complexity). For now, at least, let's stick to the prograde icon with configurable color.

You know, I've been thinking about that recently. You can set up a marker beacon beacon at the KSP and I could probably write a page that could give rudimentary landing info as an interim fix. You could place three craft on route to the runway to serve as your outer, middle and inner markers to help approximate distance, and by targeting the last one I think I might be able to write a page to give you some useful landing-oriented information. I don't know if ILS is entirely feasible just because our planes have no flight management computers and FAR behaves quite differently from stock. But I am writing plane-centric pages for my MFD right now, and this is an important flying tool. All my 'landings' have been 'uncontrolled crashes' so you aren't the only one thinking about ILS.

Hey, MOARdV, depending on your interest, you think you could provide the target heading for the HUD as well? We could use it as a course marker. I'm sure there are some other rudimentary functions that could be useful as well, but I'll have to play around with this idea in-game to see what they are. I think with those two indicators I could write up a decent page for landing a plane. Oh, and can I request that the display of the heading markers/target markers be an enable/disable in the config? Being able to choose whether or not they show up on the ladder or the heading bar would allow a more proper display. I'd only want the slip indicator on the artificial horizon, the target and heading markers would go on the HUD.

Edited by Hyomoto

Hey, MOARdV, depending on your interest, you think you could provide the target heading for the HUD as well?

I'll see what I can come up with. I'm arguing with the prograde vector right now - it keeps insisting that the ship's heading is exactly the same as the prograde, even though I can see them diverging on the stock nav ball. That definitely delays implementation a bit, since it will require more attention than I can spare during the work week.

You know, I've been thinking about that recently. You can set up a marker beacon beacon at the KSP and I could probably write a page that could give rudimentary landing info as an interim fix. You could place three craft on route to the runway to serve as your outer, middle and inner markers to help approximate distance, and by targeting the last one I think I might be able to write a page to give you some useful landing-oriented information. I don't know if ILS is entirely feasible just because our planes have no flight management computers and FAR behaves quite differently from stock. But I am writing plane-centric pages for my MFD right now, and this is an important flying tool. All my 'landings' have been 'uncontrolled crashes' so you aren't the only one thinking about ILS.[...]

I manage to land some planes from IVA (but with stock, haven't flown with FAR yet). Unfortunately I don't really understand how the API works. As I understand it you can only do text stuff and for everything fancier you either need to write a plugin or it is already supported by RPM. I guess the orbital view and navball are for example two things that are implemented in RPM (after updating RPM and not MFD I got for example approach markers). I would love to see at some time real support for a "ILS like" system. It doesn't need to be the real one, you only need to see how your angle relative to the runway is (okay you can use a compass for that one), your distance and your offset. I think there was an instrument on real planes, but I can't remember it's name (or if it is even related to ILS).

Fabian

I just started working on an MFD for my Engine Ignitor plugin based on Hyomoto's MFD configs. Currently it can partially work to provide a list of all engines installed on the vessel, and Activate/Shutdown/Toggle options for them, as well as EngineIgnitor's information like ullage state, ignitor remains, etc...

I would like to know how to publish that, because it involves editing Hyomoto's MFD configs for PLUGIN menu to add my option... and I don't know what should i do for vanilla RPM MFD as well...

I just started working on an MFD for my Engine Ignitor plugin based on Hyomoto's MFD configs. Currently it can partially work to provide a list of all engines installed on the vessel, and Activate/Shutdown/Toggle options for them, as well as EngineIgnitor's information like ullage state, ignitor remains, etc...

I would like to know how to publish that, because it involves editing Hyomoto's MFD configs for PLUGIN menu to add my option... and I don't know what should i do for vanilla RPM MFD as well...

You can feel free to either distribute the whole package, or just the page you changed. Whichever turns out easiest for you. Since my MFD's replace the example prop, you can include pages for both and whichever the player has installed will take care of it. I'm interested in what you've done and I have no problems with include plugin functionality in the main download.

EDIT: You know, you could probably use module manager to add it as well, though that would probably take a bit more effort.

Edited by Hyomoto

You can feel free to either distribute the whole package, or just the page you changed. Whichever turns out easiest for you. Since my MFD's replace the example prop, you can include pages for both and whichever the player has installed will take care of it. I'm interested in what you've done and I have no problems with include plugin functionality in the main download.

Oh here's a screenshot of it, it's still WIP but is nearly completed.

nSe1RAv.png

I have landed a bunch of times on the runway IVA from a low-visibility cockpit, such as the B9 2-kerbal shuttle cockpit.

1) Place a kerbal on the ground just off each end of the runway, at the center line.

2) Have a forward facing camera.

Set the kerbal nearest you on the runway as your target, then hold the surface velocity indicator on the target indicator at your desired glideslope. If the target is too low, you are overshooting so move the surface velocity indicator below the target, if it is too high move it above. The runway is perfectly east/west, so keep the target indicator at 90 or 270 degrees.

Keep an eye on the radar altimeter and bring up the forward camera when you are a few hundred meters above the runway. You will probably be a bit off center line at this point, but there is plenty of time to correct it. If there aren't enough visible MFD screens, you can use the little 3d navball to hold the proper glideslope.

An example of a spaceplane I have landed multiple times with this method, IVA only with UI disabled:

screenshot55.png

screenshot56.png

Oh here's a screenshot of it, it's still WIP but is nearly completed.

http://i.imgur.com/nSe1RAv.png

That looks cool and is very helpful. When I try to land on Minmus yesterday I had to check how often I could restart that engine in external view. Can you maybe add that number? Maybe you can shorten each line. Instead of "NOT_IGNITED", "IGNITED" and "HEAT" (or what every that first was) something like N, I and H. And instead of "Very Stable" (etc.), S+, S, R, R+, U and U+. S means stable, R is risky and U is unstable. A plus adds "very". It is not that intuitive but could save some space. Maybe you could even display everything in one line.

Fabian

That looks cool and is very helpful. When I try to land on Minmus yesterday I had to check how often I could restart that engine in external view. Can you maybe add that number? Maybe you can shorten each line. Instead of "NOT_IGNITED", "IGNITED" and "HEAT" (or what every that first was) something like N, I and H. And instead of "Very Stable" (etc.), S+, S, R, R+, U and U+. S means stable, R is risky and U is unstable. A plus adds "very". It is not that intuitive but could save some space. Maybe you could even display everything in one line.

Fabian

The detailed information about ignitor count / ignitor resource is via that "INFO" button. Yes i know that's a bit inconvenient when you have multiple engines to check. I will need to find a way to shorten these display and try to put the most important information into one line.

Actually I was thinking of using color to identify the information as well, so that I can shorten the words without giving user difficulty to quickly understand the states:

Something like:

yellow for ignited, faint yellow for high_temp, and dark grey for not_ignited...

green for stable, yellow for risky, red... obviously for unstable...

Ignitor count will be displayed in "x/y" format, i even considered not to display the "y" part since it's not very important.

Ignitor resource(s) will be a bit difficult though, I can give a "LOW" warning when the resource is insufficient but that doesn't help much...

While landing for the first time on Minmus, I noticed some discrepencies between the horizontal speed given by RPM (left) and the one from Ingeneer (right). A crude estimate while looking at the landing by the external view is that engenieer is a better estimate, but why the difference?

bd60bcf1-e883-481a-930f-cc6a2deaf336.jpg

A crude estimate while looking at the landing by the external view is that kerbal engenieer redux is a better estimate, but why the difference?

059a80db-3bc4-41f9-aef3-0a6726f7ba9c.jpg

Edited by Argelle

While landing for the first time on Minmus, I noticed some discrepencies between the horizontal speed given by RPM (left) and the one from Ingeneer (right). A crude estimate while looking at the landing by the external view is that engenieer is a better estimate, but why the difference?

http://tof.canardpc.com/preview2/bd60bcf1-e883-481a-930f-cc6a2deaf336.jpg

A crude estimate while looking at the landing by the external view is that kerbal engenieer redux is a better estimate, but why the difference?

http://tof.canardpc.com/preview/059a80db-3bc4-41f9-aef3-0a6726f7ba9c.jpg

Looks like different references, one is surface velocity and the other orbit velocity.

Is there any way to turn off the debug log spam for this mod? I get something like this every time I switch to a new craft (there's actually a lot more during every craft switch, this is cut down to fit into the post), which makes it hard to watch any possible interactions between what I am trying to write and other mods. Most of this seems to be purely informational.

Thanks.

(Filename: C:/BuildAgent/work/ea95e74f6e5f192d/Runtime/ExportGenerated/StandalonePlayer/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 54)

JSISetInternalCameraFOV: Setting per-seat camera parameters for seat 0: fov 60, maxRot 60, maxPitch 60, minPitch -30

(Filename: C:/BuildAgent/work/ea95e74f6e5f192d/Runtime/ExportGenerated/StandalonePlayer/UnityEngineDebug.cpp Line: 54)

JSISetInternalCameraFOV: Setting per-seat camera parameters for seat 1: fov 60, maxRot 60, maxPitch 60, minPitch -50

JSISetInternalCameraFOV: Setting per-seat camera parameters for seat 2: fov 60, maxRot 60, maxPitch 60, minPitch -50

JSIVariableAnimator: Configuration complete in prop 42, supporting 12 variable indicators.

JSIVariableAnimator: Configuration complete in prop 43, supporting 12 variable indicators.

JSIVariableAnimator: Configuration complete in prop 47, supporting 1 variable indicators.

JSIVariableAnimator: Configuration complete in prop 48, supporting 1 variable indicators.

JSIVariableAnimator: Configuration complete in prop 49, supporting 1 variable indicators.

JSIVariableAnimator: Configuration complete in prop 50, supporting 1 variable indicators.

JSIVariableAnimator: Configuration complete in prop 51, supporting 1 variable indicators.

JSIVariableAnimator: Configuration complete in prop 52, supporting 1 variable indicators.

JSIVariableAnimator: Configuration complete in prop 53, supporting 1 variable indicators.

JSIVariableAnimator: Configuration complete in prop 54, supporting 1 variable indicators.

JSIVariableAnimator: Configuration complete in prop 55, supporting 1 variable indicators.

JSIVariableAnimator: Configuration complete in prop 56, supporting 1 variable indicators.

JSIVariableAnimator: Configuration complete in prop 57, supporting 1 variable indicators.

JSIVariableAnimator: Configuration complete in prop 58, supporting 1 variable indicators.

JSIVariableAnimator: Configuration complete in prop 59, supporting 1 variable indicators.

JSIVariableAnimator: Configuration complete in prop 60, supporting 1 variable indicators.

JSIVariableAnimator: Configuration complete in prop 61, supporting 1 variable indicators.

JSIVariableAnimator: Configuration complete in prop 62, supporting 1 variable indicators.

JSIVariableAnimator: Configuration complete in prop 63, supporting 1 variable indicators.

JSIVariableAnimator: Configuration complete in prop 64, supporting 1 variable indicators.

JSIVariableAnimator: Configuration complete in prop 65, supporting 1 variable indicators.

JSIVariableAnimator: Configuration complete in prop 66, supporting 1 variable indicators.

JSIVariableAnimator: Configuration complete in prop 67, supporting 1 variable indicators.

JSIVariableAnimator: Configuration complete in prop 68, supporting 1 variable indicators.

JSIVariableAnimator: Configuration complete in prop 69, supporting 1 variable indicators.

RasterPropMonitor: Trying to locate "Hyomoto/MFD/images/MFDFont" in GameDatabase...

RasterPropMonitor: Loading font texture from URL, "Hyomoto/MFD/images/MFDFont"

RasterPropMonitor: Loading font definition from JSI/RasterPropMonitor/Example/ExampleMFD/fontDefinition.txt

MonitorPage: Page 'menuDefault' (#0) registers 1 page redirects and 0 global button redirects.

MonitorPage: Page 'sleepPage' (#1) registers 20 page redirects and 0 global button redirects.

MonitorPage: Page 'menuFlight' (#2) registers 6 page redirects and 0 global button redirects.

MonitorPage: Page 'flightDisplay' (#3) registers 5 page redirects and 0 global button redirects.

Invalid boolean value

MonitorPage: Page 'flightOrbit' (#4) registers 5 page redirects and 0 global button redirects.

MonitorPage: Page 'flightTakeoff' (#5) registers 5 page redirects and 0 global button redirects.

MonitorPage: Page 'flightLanding' (#6) registers 5 page redirects and 0 global button redirects.

MonitorPage: Page 'menuInfo' (#7) registers 5 page redirects and 0 global button redirects.

MonitorPage: Page 'infoResourceSimple' (#8) registers 5 page redirects and 0 global button redirects.

MonitorPage: Page 'infoResourceHelper' (#9) registers 5 page redirects and 0 global button redirects.

MonitorPage: Page 'infoResourceTotal' (#10) registers 6 page redirects and 0 global button redirects.

MonitorPage: Page 'infoResourceTotal2' (#11) registers 6 page redirects and 0 global button redirects.

MonitorPage: Page 'infoResourceTotal3' (#12) registers 6 page redirects and 0 global button redirects.

MonitorPage: Page 'infoMission' (#13) registers 5 page redirects and 0 global button redirects.

MonitorPage: Page 'infoLog' (#14) registers 5 page redirects and 0 global button redirects.

MonitorPage: Page 'infoAltitudeGraph' (#15) registers 4 page redirects and 0 global button redirects.

MonitorPage: Page 'menuCamera' (#16) registers 11 page redirects and 0 global button redirects.

MonitorPage: Page 'camDock' (#17) registers 11 page redirects and 0 global button redirects.

MonitorPage: Page 'camExt1' (#18) registers 10 page redirects and 0 global button redirects.

MonitorPage: Page 'camExt2' (#19) registers 10 page redirects and 0 global button redirects.

MonitorPage: Page 'camExt3' (#20) registers 10 page redirects and 0 global button redirects.

MonitorPage: Page 'camExt4' (#21) registers 10 page redirects and 0 global button redirects.

MonitorPage: Page 'camExt5' (#22) registers 10 page redirects and 0 global button redirects.

MonitorPage: Page 'camExt6' (#23) registers 10 page redirects and 0 global button redirects.

MonitorPage: Page 'camExt7' (#24) registers 10 page redirects and 0 global button redirects.

MonitorPage: Page 'camExt8' (#25) registers 10 page redirects and 0 global button redirects.

MonitorPage: Page 'targetHelper' (#26) registers 4 page redirects and 0 global button redirects.

MonitorPage: Page 'targetHelperCompare' (#27) registers 4 page redirects and 0 global button redirects.

MonitorPage: Page 'menuTarget' (#28) registers 2 page redirects and 0 global button redirects.

MonitorPage: Page 'menuPlugin' (#29) registers 4 page redirects and 0 global button redirects.

MonitorPage: Page 'pluginScanSAT' (#30) registers 3 page redirects and 0 global button redirects.

Cannot find an InternalModule of typename 'JSISCANsatRPM'

RasterPropMonitor: Warning, handler module "JSISCANsatRPM" could not be loaded. This could be perfectly normal.

MonitorPage: Page 'pluginSmartASS' (#31) registers 3 page redirects and 0 global button redirects.

Cannot find an InternalModule of typename 'MechJebRPM'

RasterPropMonitor: Warning, handler module "MechJebRPM" could not be loaded. This could be perfectly normal.

That's most probably it. Last time I checked a fair few of RPM's variables are mismatched with their labels. The dry/wet mass labels in the info tab seem to be reversed for example.

Problem is, that the rotational velocity of Minmus at the equator (where it is highest) is only 9 m/s.

Fabian

That's most probably it. Last time I checked a fair few of RPM's variables are mismatched with their labels. The dry/wet mass labels in the info tab seem to be reversed for example.

I noticed this, I just never mentioned it. Glad to know I'm not insane.