Unlucky Kerbals

dr_jt

So I'm trying to get some science by going to the Mun. I have a reliable ship I've used many times. I pick a Kerbal with no courage and maxed out stupidity. Over a half dozen flights with resets to launch and I can't get him to the Mun. Explosions on the pad. Crashes into the Mun and assorted other failures. At the peak of frustration I pick another Kerbal and what do you know a successful flight and landing on the Mun. So, do the specs on the Kerbals matter or was I in a placebo haze because the the Kerbal was stupid?

Kerbal stupidity or courage has never seemed to matter to me in my flights. However, I have only been playing for over a month so maybe I haven't experienced enough of the game to notice or for it to matter yet. It just seems to me that if you set up your rockets and maneuvers correctly it doesn't really matter who is in the pilot seat. If you build a bad rocket, you could have the bravest Kerbal and it still wouldn't go any where. Hope this helped!

I think you might be the one with high stupidity! (Just kidding!) I think you were just having some bad luck. From what I know, Kerbals with higher courage will tend to scream less, while kerbals with higher stupidity will tend to smile and laugh while in life threatening conditions. In the Kerbal files, if BadS (Badass) is set to True, like Jeb, they will always be calm. I believe this is true. But don't trust everything on the internet.

Edited by Tank Buddy

The Kerbal traits will become important later, as the plan is that they will actually operate the ships for you. (Which is why the stock game includes no autopilot; that will be a job for the Kerbals themselves.) Right now, the traits are just numbers.

The Kerbal traits will become important later, as the plan is that they will actually operate the ships for you. (Which is why the stock game includes no autopilot; that will be a job for the Kerbals themselves.) Right now, the traits are just numbers.

It will be fascinating to see how they implement this.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.