Simulating a sway bar/anti-roll bar

So I'm currently building a car capable of reaching up to 60m/s (rover wheels from TV Aerospace). However, even with massive downforce in the front and rear, the car still rolls off to the side and flips over when I try to do some cornering (even with braking).

• Is there any way I can add a part (if any) which replicates the function of a sway bar and prevent my car from flipping?
  • Will adjusting the camber (toe in/toe out) of the rover wheels help?
  • Or do I just have to wait for the "tweakables" feature in the next update and just soften the springs?

**I'll try to attach some pictures when I get back.

Edited by mangekyou-sama

are you driving it in docking mode? remember that the vertical axis (yaw) is controlled with Q and E under normal staging controls, and A and D under docking mode.

I would suggest driving any land rovers in docking mode to avoid rolling it over with pod torque.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/57700-Fastest-speed-over-land-%28stock%29?p=771486&viewfull=1#post771486

Download and dissect my car. Running at 59.9m/s and turn as you wish. Won't flip...just that the higher the speed, the larger the turning circle. The slower the speed, the faster it turn.

Well, please copy smartly. :) Don't let other know. o(^.^)o

Ya it'd be cool to see what you're working with first with some pics. I would have to say though, most cars irl can't make sharp turns at their top speed, even with braking, without having some sort of problems. I wish our designs drifted like the little cars you see hauling ass around the VAB and SPH though :D

As others have said I don't think angling the tires, at least in terms of toeing in/out (different from camber btw), would help. Camber is typically what a race car would look to use, but I don't think KSP's rover wheels' suspensions are set up to utilize the principle.

I suspect that you could possibly simulate a sway bar/anti-roll bar in the game. However with the wheel physics as they are, it may not translate into anything useful. I think more simple tactics may help, like...

- long wheelbase, and wide spacing

- low CoM

- less grippy wheels (... you're using the nice looking ones aren't you, the ones that grip like mad)

- driving at low speed and using physics warp to go "faster"

You want an reaction wheel, it makes the car rock stable.

FVC9G1K.png

This car is very simple one 2x2 plate, four 1x1 plates to make it longer while keeping center of mas at reaction wheel and docking port.

Able to do full throttle all the time on Mun.

Later version of it has a roller cage and bumper of small struts to avoid kerbal falling off then hitting the bottom at craters in 40 m/s. You pretty much has to drive it manned as the wheels tend to pop during hard landings.

You also want to keep the weight down, an heavier rover is more likely to flip over or get damaged by impacts. Made an science version with the science stuff and the one man landing can and it was far more fragile.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.