[1.12.3+] RealChute Parachute Systems v1.4.9.4 | 02/06/24

stupid_chris

Has anyone else had problems with chute not transferring their settings to the Symmetry counterparts when you use that option???? Been replacing the old parts with the new ones, and it won't transfer the settings to the other parts in the same Symmetry group.......

Also just a suggestion, would it be possible to have a Max settings option for those of use not so used to modifying every little detail and just want to run the chutes at their max(Similar to the older method)???

Edit: Yes I did take notice of the big red warning and deleted the old version completely before installing the new one.....

Edited by Railgunner2160

Has anyone else had problems with chute not transferring their settings to the Symmetry counterparts when you use that option???? Been replacing the old parts with the new ones, and it won't transfer the settings to the other parts in the same Symmetry group.......

Also just a suggestion, would it be possible to have a Max settings option for those of use not so used to modifying every little detail and just want to run the chutes at their max(Similar to the older method)???

I'm having the same problem in this last release.... symmetry transfer problematic...

Edit: Yes I did take notice of the big red warning and deleted the old version completely before installing the new one.....

I'm having the same problem in this last release.... symmetry transfer problematic...

By that do you guys mean when you create symmetry counterparts, if you select on of the symmetry parts, all the fields are blank in the editor window? If so I'm aware and there's really nothing I can do much because of the way KSP creates those parts. Just set all the things in the original chute and you should be good.

I'm not sure what you mean? You don't need to set everything. They already have a base preset. usually tweaking the size, texture, and parachute type, and hitting apply does it.

Procedurally offset radials.....

Code pending once I've tweaked it a bit.... nothing special.... if you want it.

http://i.imgur.com/jYK8Oz2l.pnghttp://i.imgur.com/Yru06bcl.png

Ohhhh nice :)

Though I can imagine how you did it. But I have something else in mind. I'm guessing that if you put only one radial on that it'll look dumb. Basiacally, I'm not going to orient everything away from the center of the vessel, but orient every parachute away from each other. Or at least try.

Ohhhh nice :)

Though I can imagine how you did it. But I have something else in mind. I'm guessing that if you put only one radial on that it'll look dumb. Basiacally, I'm not going to orient everything away from the center of the vessel, but orient every parachute away from each other. Or at least try.

I'm using the angle between the drag vector from center of mass and vector from center of mass to the part to determine if I need to offset. With only one radial active, the vectors don't diverge much so there's little offset.

That's fairly simplistic, it could also have some threshold that needs exceeding before it kicks in. Or something...

I'm using the angle between the drag vector from center of mass and vector from center of mass to the part to determine if I need to offset. With only one radial active, the vectors don't diverge much so there's little offset.

That's fairly simplistic, it could also have some threshold that needs exceeding before it kicks in. Or something...

Thing is this might not look nice on non symmetrical ships. Reason why I'm thinking of drawing them away from each other instead.

Maybe I should clarify, I use the Combo chutes(They match the SHDI Docking ports) and while the settings for the Main's work fine, the secondary Drogue chutes only the one I edited myself actually has the correct settings, the other 3 wind up being these absolutely tiny things......

Pic: F80196F706CEF34F3FC7688BCA7D92B0A10EF854

Sorry for the pics size......

Hope that helps some.....

Thing is this might not look nice on non symmetrical ships. Reason why I'm thinking of drawing them away from each other instead.

True, I haven't tested it on non-symmetrical ships yet; just a few test articles where symmetry was important to help me keep the math straight in my head.

I also tried center of pressure, and that had the interesting effect of causing the pre-deployed chutes to not spread very much at high speeds and then to gradually pull apart as the craft slowed its descent. Looked very nice actually.

Unfortunately it also had the bizarre effect of causing the chutes to orient down under the ship when it reached full deployment. I'm assuming it was drag increase moved CoP above the row of chute parts, or even outside the vehicle completely.

Sorry if this is not the right place.

Found a bug with the Mk3 paracute (inline)) that when you set it to auto deploy via the action groups it causes a black screen when you go to launch.

I was telling it to pre-deploy at 25,000m, deploy at 10,000m and auto cut at 5,000m - basically a poor mans drogue chute as they are not unlocked for me yet.

Can someone try to reproduce this?

This is the bulk of the code I'm using. There's some debug stuff in there (_angle) which can be removed. The only other bit of code is a check I had to put in FollowDragDirection to see if forceOrientation / secForcedOrientation == -1

Use it as you like, or not.

For asymmetrical craft btw, I did make a real frankenstein of a ship and tested it. Worse case scenario was for chutes placed below center of mass. I think that can easily be dealt with by checking for that and either not doing offset on them at all or compensating and putting them back up above the ship. Max angle can probably be lowered even further than 45 or made configurable.

private Vector3 GetForcedVector(Transform chute, float angle)
{
if (angle >= 90 || (angle <= 0 && angle != -1)) { return Vector3.zero; }
Vector3 follow = new Vector3();
if (angle == -1)
{
angle = Vector3.Angle((dragVector + this.part.vessel.findLocalCenterOfMass()).normalized, (part.vessel.findLocalCenterOfMass() + part.transform.position).normalized);

// This bit here should use (pre)deployed diameter to calculate final scaling of the angle
angle = Math.Min(angle * (deploymentState == DeploymentStates.PREDEPLOYED ? 0.1f : 1.025f), 45);
follow = chute.transform.position - this.part.vessel.CoM;
}
else
{
follow = chute.transform.position - pos;
}
_angle = angle.ToString() + ": " + follow.x + ", " + follow.y + ", " + follow.z;
float length = 1 / Mathf.Tan((90 - angle) * Mathf.Deg2Rad);
return follow.normalized * length;
}

Maybe I should clarify, I use the Combo chutes(They match the SHDI Docking ports) and while the settings for the Main's work fine, the secondary Drogue chutes only the one I edited myself actually has the correct settings, the other 3 wind up being these absolutely tiny things......

Pic: http://cloud-3.steampowered.com/ugc/615045539410014602/F80196F706CEF34F3FC7688BCA7D92B0A10EF854/

Sorry for the pics size......

Hope that helps some.....

Are you sure you set it to apply to counterparts as well? And I'd need your output_log.txt as well as your KSP.log

Sorry if this is not the right place.

Found a bug with the Mk3 paracute (inline)) that when you set it to auto deploy via the action groups it causes a black screen when you go to launch.

I was telling it to pre-deploy at 25,000m, deploy at 10,000m and auto cut at 5,000m - basically a poor mans drogue chute as they are not unlocked for me yet.

Can someone try to reproduce this?

Same as above send your output_log.txt and your KSP.log

This is the bulk of the code I'm using. There's some debug stuff in there (_angle) which can be removed. The only other bit of code is a check I had to put in FollowDragDirection to see if forceOrientation / secForcedOrientation == -1

Use it as you like, or not.

For asymmetrical craft btw, I did make a real frankenstein of a ship and tested it. Worse case scenario was for chutes placed below center of mass. I think that can easily be dealt with by checking for that and either not doing offset on them at all or compensating and putting them back up above the ship. Max angle can probably be lowered even further than 45 or made configurable.

private Vector3 GetForcedVector(Transform chute, float angle)
{
if (angle >= 90 || (angle <= 0 && angle != -1)) { return Vector3.zero; }
Vector3 follow = new Vector3();
if (angle == -1)
{
angle = Vector3.Angle((dragVector + this.part.vessel.findLocalCenterOfMass()).normalized, (part.vessel.findLocalCenterOfMass() + part.transform.position).normalized);

// This bit here should use (pre)deployed diameter to calculate final scaling of the angle
angle = Math.Min(angle * (deploymentState == DeploymentStates.PREDEPLOYED ? 0.1f : 1.025f), 45);
follow = chute.transform.position - this.part.vessel.CoM;
}
else
{
follow = chute.transform.position - pos;
}
_angle = angle.ToString() + ": " + follow.x + ", " + follow.y + ", " + follow.z;
float length = 1 / Mathf.Tan((90 - angle) * Mathf.Deg2Rad);
return follow.normalized * length;
}

Once of the solutions to chutes below the CoM is to simply use the x and z parts of the vector only. But thank you, I'll keep that somewhere for when I get to this :)

stupid_chris, i have the mod installed yet, in career, even when its unlocked, only 4 of the parachutes show up. the double chute, cone chute, stack chute, and one normal radial chute. it says they are unlocked in r+d, but they do not show up. Not only do they not show up in career, only the four show up in sandbox aswell. i tried reinstalling numerous times to no avail. thank you in advance.

stupid_chris, i have the mod installed yet, in career, even when its unlocked, only 4 of the parachutes show up. the double chute, cone chute, stack chute, and one normal radial chute. it says they are unlocked in r+d, but they do not show up. Not only do they not show up in career, only the four show up in sandbox aswell. i tried reinstalling numerous times to no avail. thank you in advance.

use the action groups tab to set scale of parachute and the texture and the material... it shows you how to do this on the front page in the imgur albums o.O