[1.12.3+] RealChute Parachute Systems v1.4.9.4 | 02/06/24

stupid_chris

PROBLEM HAS BEEN SOLVED!

It turns out it was this mod http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/61040

I just removed the part and it didn't happen. By the way, I also reinstalled the whole game and added each mod separately, carefully adding each mod, checking for MM versions and other stuff. Also updated Firespitter.dll to it's latest version through the mod Firespitter, cause one of the other mods included that .dll but an older version of it.

THANK YOU guys for all the support! Thanks for giving ideas and helping out! This is one of the reasons I love the KSP community!

can you add a docking port and maybe shielded docking port with built in parachutes the inline ones you have are great but very unaesthetic.?!!

I like the parts, they're precisely what I asked from sumghai :) I reccomend you use the SDHI ones as well. If you don't like them, better get down with the MM configs for stock parts.

PROBLEM HAS BEEN SOLVED!

It turns out it was this mod http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/61040

I just removed the part and it didn't happen. By the way, I also reinstalled the whole game and added each mod separately, carefully adding each mod, checking for MM versions and other stuff. Also updated Firespitter.dll to it's latest version through the mod Firespitter, cause one of the other mods included that .dll but an older version of it.

THANK YOU guys for all the support! Thanks for giving ideas and helping out! This is one of the reasons I love the KSP community!

Well there we go, nice to know this is solved :)

Ugh, yeaaaaaah.

Problen still occurs BUT only if I physics warp while the chutes are fully deployed. That's not gamebraking but it is tedious to wait for the craft to land. Still, game is playable, not smooth, but playable.

Ugh, yeaaaaaah.

Problen still occurs BUT only if I physics warp while the chutes are fully deployed. That's not gamebraking but it is tedious to wait for the craft to land. Still, game is playable, not smooth, but playable.

That is nothing new. It's been a known bug since last december, and I can't do a thing about this becaquse it's literally how physical warp is handled that does this.

The solution is to not physwarp while the parachutes are fully deployed ele it might summon the kraken. Else don't be afraid to use it :)

I landed with my real chutes fully deployed and max physwarp just yesterday, and I only heard a few whippoorwills.....

On Kerbin physwarp does not call forth the Kraken, this happens to me only on Eve. I 4x physwarp while landing on Kerbin.

As I said, it won't always happen. It depends on the craft, the speed, and a tons of other factors. I pretty much had it happen on every body with an atmosphere because I was not careful enough.

I dont understand how to use those parachutes.

I use FAR and my mk1 command pod keeps crashing. I have the basic cone as the main chute. I attached 2 drogue chutes to the side.

When I predeploy at about 30k (preset value), I cant deploy because it burns the drogues and then i m too fast for the main.

If I deploy at 50k the chutes burn a lot but sometimes I get lucky, g force is massive though.

I cant even get the command pot to land savely...

edit: Ok, found a way. Doubt that it is working as intended and the g force in a 2 chute system is still very high, but it works.

Edited by Yemo

I am experiencing some serious lag while loading a ship (either in editor or flight) if that ship has a Stack Chute with both nodes (top and bottom) connected to other parts.

If the same Stack Chute is instead placed with a node free, loading time is absolutely normal.

I see something similar was reported a number of times before on this thread, but never solved (also, because logs were not always provided...)

Tried to isolate this issue, so made a bunch of tests on a unmoddded KSP 0.23.5 install. Built a ship large enough to show this clearly (small ships don't really make a difference), here in two versions:

- Test RC1, with the Stack Chute below the probe part at the top: this loads in the editor in 46 sec. on my PC;

- Test RC2, with the Stack Chute above everything: this loads in less than 2 sec.;

- and, yes, there is also the output_log.txt that hopefully will allow to find the cause.

(I don't attach the ship I was building when I first found this issue. That made KSP to hang completely, I rebuilt it 5 times from scratch before finding what was the problem...:mad:)

I use FAR and my mk1 command pod keeps crashing. I have the basic cone as the main chute. I attached 2 drogue chutes to the side.

When I predeploy at about 30k (preset value), I cant deploy because it burns the drogues and then i m too fast for the main.

If I deploy at 50k the chutes burn a lot but sometimes I get lucky, g force is massive though.

edit: Ok, found a way. Doubt that it is working as intended and the g force in a 2 chute system is still very high, but it works.

You should not be deploying that early, that's your problem. Deploying at 10km is far from enough.

I am experiencing some serious lag while loading a ship (either in editor or flight) if that ship has a Stack Chute with both nodes (top and bottom) connected to other parts.

If the same Stack Chute is instead placed with a node free, loading time is absolutely normal.

I see something similar was reported a number of times before on this thread, but never solved (also, because logs were not always provided...)

Tried to isolate this issue, so made a bunch of tests on a unmoddded KSP 0.23.5 install. Built a ship large enough to show this clearly (small ships don't really make a difference), here in two versions:

- Test RC1, with the Stack Chute below the probe part at the top: this loads in the editor in 46 sec. on my PC;

- Test RC2, with the Stack Chute above everything: this loads in less than 2 sec.;

- and, yes, there is also the output_log.txt that hopefully will allow to find the cause.

(I don't attach the ship I was building when I first found this issue. That made KSP to hang completely, I rebuilt it 5 times from scratch before finding what was the problem...:mad:)

I'll take a look, but that doesn't feel to me it would be realchute since all my tests with stack chutes have been pretty good.

Yeah, you are deploying way too early there. Rarely do I deploy my chutes more than 3km up.

As others have said, you've been deploying too early.

However, you also need to do something about your reentry vector. I typically do drogue pre-deploy at about 12km (give or take a few km). You have to have come in at an angle shallow enough to do a lot of aerobraking but not so shallow that you overheat. In your case it sounds like you need to be more shallow than you've been coming in.

Also, @stupid_chris, perhaps some more robust presets for DREC use? (or a warning in the preset description that DREC reentries may require alteration of the presets). Maybe also some MM 2.1.5 style :NEEDS to provide alternate configurations if DREC is installed. (if needed, I could help with that)

Thanks for the answers.

Yes, I was just going too steep. Was using a simple/cheap 2 stage booster + command pod rocket for chute testing, going up to around 350km vertically. Atmo entry with nearly 2km/s at about 85° is just not FAR friendly...

But it yielded some unexpected results using FAR and DeadlyReentry!

My reentry vehicle is just the command pod with 1 cone main chute on the top and 2 symmetric drogue side chutes (until I get the 2 chutes in 1 part to put them all on the top).

reentry payload mass: 1093kg (Command Pod Mk1 )

with chutes (drogues set to 8m/s): 1546kg

The main chute has the normal values dependent on desired landing speed, except it

- predeploys at 69,000m (for convenience, virtually no other effect).

The drogue chute(s) have ceteris paribus the

- target speed changed to 8-10m/s (8 is for massive entry vector screw ups, 10 is very safe already, try 12+ if you are better at controlled entry),

- predeployment at 69,000m,

- deployment at 69,000m and

- cutoff altitude 35,000m (very important to have, you can tweak the altitude, but otherwise the drogues would slow so much, that you sit there forever with 4x warp).

Result:

The oversized early deployed drogues massively slow you down in the upper atmosphere starting from I guess 50km up.

So the deadly reentry only leads to very minor heating (notice I have the main predeployed since 69,000m).

At 35,000m the drogues cut off and you fall at terminal velocity until the main deploys.

The sole reason for the 69,000m predeployment is, that I can just "fire and forget" the last stage (containing main and drogue) when coming out of time warp at 70,000m.

edit: While inefficient for the command pod (which comes with heat shield), it is very usefull for returning heat sensitive stuff.

I play with the house rule, that I either transmit the results of science, or return the experiment container.

So no collecting with kerbonaut and getting full value, I dont think a kerbonaut can take out more data than a transmitter can...

For comparison landing a mass of 1093kg with 1.25m heat shield (ditched before landing) and only main chute would result in a mass of 1669kg (compared to 1546kg with 8m/s drogues).

Edited by Yemo

Quick suggestion for drogue chutes after something I just encountered.

Have ground-contact autodeployment do a throttle check to make sure it's zero before deploying. Otherwise, catastrophic results can happen if you happen to be an SR-71 on its takeoff roll when the chute decides a slight bounce takeoff is a landing attempt.

Thanks for the answers.

Yes, I was just going too steep. Was using a simple/cheap 2 stage booster + command pod rocket for chute testing, going up to around 350km vertically. Atmo entry with nearly 2km/s at about 85° is just not FAR friendly...

But it yielded some unexpected results using FAR and DeadlyReentry!

My reentry vehicle is just the command pod with 1 cone main chute on the top and 2 symmetric drogue side chutes (until I get the 2 chutes in 1 part to put them all on the top).

reentry payload mass: 1093kg (Command Pod Mk1 )

with chutes (drogues set to 8m/s): 1546kg

The main chute has the normal values dependent on desired landing speed, except it

- predeploys at 69,000m (for convenience, virtually no other effect).

The drogue chute(s) have ceteris paribus the

- target speed changed to 8-10m/s (8 is for massive entry vector screw ups, 10 is very safe already, try 12+ if you are better at controlled entry),

- predeployment at 69,000m,

- deployment at 69,000m and

- cutoff altitude 35,000m (very important to have, you can tweak the altitude, but otherwise the drogues would slow so much, that you sit there forever with 4x warp).

Result:

The oversized early deployed drogues massively slow you down in the upper atmosphere starting from I guess 50km up.

So the deadly reentry only leads to very minor heating (notice I have the main predeployed since 69,000m).

At 35,000m the drogues cut off and you fall at terminal velocity until the main deploys.

The sole reason for the 69,000m predeployment is, that I can just "fire and forget" the last stage (containing main and drogue) when coming out of time warp at 70,000m.

edit: While inefficient for the command pod (which comes with heat shield), it is very usefull for returning heat sensitive stuff.

I play with the house rule, that I either transmit the results of science, or return the experiment container.

So no collecting with kerbonaut and getting full value, I dont think a kerbonaut can take out more data than a transmitter can...

For comparison landing a mass of 1093kg with 1.25m heat shield (ditched before landing) and only main chute would result in a mass of 1669kg (compared to 1546kg with 8m/s drogues).

Why don't you try that using Real Solar System + Deadly Reentry + FAR.

I dare you!

I double dog dare you!

Did you ever fix the issue of the chutes not arming when triggered through staging??? I ask because of the upcoming features in 0.24, specifically the part recovery giving back a portion of it's cost.....

I do believe this was fixed because there is an Option in the .cfg file (In the Realchute folder) where you can enable stock behavior.

I must be missing something. I am trying this mod for the first time, but in the VAB I can only read the details and on the launchpad I can edit a few of them. I cannot imagine that is how it is intended to be used. How can I tweak the parachutes in the VAB and/or how am I supposed to use this mod?