[1.12.3+] RealChute Parachute Systems v1.4.9.4 | 02/06/24

stupid_chris

Tsk, now I get to rest, a small hotfix for that bug, v1.2.2.1 is up

Changelog:

July 22nd 2014
v1.2.2.1
*Hotfix*
-Fixed a bug with symmetry parts (once more)
-Fixed a bug where you could not repack chutes which did not all deploy.

That should fix all simple and non game-breaking issues for now.

Cheers!

That should fix all simple and non game-breaking issues for now.

Well, it seems to have fixed most of the problems I was having, but the one mentioned by @Castun where radial chutes cause the rocket to pull heavily to one side and then topple are, alas, still there and breaking my game...

(Sorry to say.)

-c

Well, it seems to have fixed most of the problems I was having, but the one mentioned by @Castun where radial chutes cause the rocket to pull heavily to one side and then topple are, alas, still there and breaking my game...

(Sorry to say.)

-c

You either badly updated, or made this craft on an older version of the mod.

Would anyone mind to explain to someone clueless, what the "arm" thing does? Is it like a second safety - only if a chute is armed AND triggered, it deploys? And does "autoarm when staged" refer to when a stage is activated, or when the chute is part of a stage?

*confused*

Would anyone mind to explain to someone clueless, what the "arm" thing does?

Always experience is better. But when the chute is armed it deploys automatically at the specified conditions.

(you can also set "arm when deploying" via the space center view button)

Okey. So update is craft breaking, gotta replace chutes.

Those weird CoM issues were funny tho ^^

Nah they aren't, but the bug cannot be fixed backwards as it's in the persistence. If a craft is bugged, it stays bugged.

Would anyone mind to explain to someone clueless, what the "arm" thing does? Is it like a second safety - only if a chute is armed AND triggered, it deploys? And does "autoarm when staged" refer to when a stage is activated, or when the chute is part of a stage?

*confused*

Basically, arming is like stock deployment. It keeps the parachute on hold until it can deploy, and when it can it deploys it, while simply deploying tries to do it /now/ and if it can't, it simply goes back to sleep, if you want. "autoarm when staged" means that staging it will arm the chute, just as it would when staging with stock chutes. Else, staging will try to deploy it, and if it can't (like if it's in space), then it just stops trying.

I see, so "auto arm when staged" in the configfile, actually refers to triggering a stage. Umm, but why would one disable that? What happens if that setting is disabled? Do they deploy instantly on trigger, or do they not deploy automatically at all?

Something entirely different - judgeing purely by filesize, the chute models seem to be quite complex relative to stock. Might at a later time want to consider offering a low-poly version for people without top hardware.

EDIT: Wrote the above before chris replied. Now reading.

EDIT2: Got it now. Thank you chris. Might want to copypaste your explanation to the FAQ.

Edited by rynak

(Sorry to say.)

-c

I'm having the same issue. Also the symmetry issue is only fixed in the VAB. As soon as I launch it thinks there is only one chute, and the rocket leans toward the side that that chute is on. I'm running the 64-bit version if that helps at all.

When I add radial shoots to a craft in some sort symmetry, it only comes up as one in the staging. Like it would have the little chute icon and in the corner it would say 2, for example, it doesnt say any number. This also happens with the stock radial chutes so I think this is KW's fault, I'm going to post there too to see if anyone has that issue.

Te little number doesnt bother me but at around 6660 some meters (serious on the number lol) the ship suddenly leaves the field of view and pushing the arrow keys moves my orbit around and adds velocity to the ship. it's like the center of mass is suddenly very far below the ship.

checked the logs and nothing comes up when it happens. everything is normal, i only activate the single, long stock solid with a stock or realchutes radial chute and once it hits that height it just flies away. I'll uninstall kw and check.

Actually, I have an install of the osx version with nothing but realchutes installed and this happens.

2m50xeh.png

See the stock radial chutes work now but the realchutes have no symmetry numbers and at around 6660m the ship derps. But on that ship there's nothing in the logs but the activation of the solid all the way up until the ship derps. Want them anyway?

When I add radial shoots to a craft in some sort symmetry, it only comes up as one in the staging. Like it would have the little chute icon and in the corner it would say 2, for example, it doesnt say any number. This also happens with the stock radial chutes so I think this is KW's fault, I'm going to post there too to see if anyone has that issue.

Te little number doesnt bother me but at around 6660 some meters (serious on the number lol) the ship suddenly leaves the field of view and pushing the arrow keys moves my orbit around and adds velocity to the ship. it's like the center of mass is suddenly very far below the ship.

checked the logs and nothing comes up when it happens. everything is normal, i only activate the single, long stock solid with a stock or realchutes radial chute and once it hits that height it just flies away. I'll uninstall kw and check.

Update your version of RealChutes, and delete the old folder in the process. I was experiencing the same issue. (Essentially the CoM gets "misplaced"). The problem actually happens at 6KM for me, and gets worse every additional 6KM -- odd, but I think it's due to some sort of universe offloading that happens at that altitude (aka Krakensbane).

While the update fixes the COM issue for me, I'm experiencing an issue where I get NullReferenceException spam as soon as I hit that altitude while Realchutes is installed -- so some portion of the original problem still remains. The problem goes away if Realchutes is removed (same vessel). Occurs on both 32-bit and 64-bit builds (though my 64-bit build is now crashing as soon as starting or resuming a game due to another mod, so I'm not touching it at the moment.)

You either badly updated, or made this craft on an older version of the mod.

Alas not. And just to be sure, I made sure by:

Completely deleting the RealChute folder.

Restarting the whole damn computer.

Reinstalling RealChute from a fresh download, just to be sure.

Creating a brand new KSP save with no preexisting files.

And building a new craft in the VAB.

Still happens.

-c

Yep, same as Dewin.

TL;DR : Still doesn't fix the shifting point of view.

My main problem with RealChutes is a shifting of the point of view away from the CoM (the camera seems to stop and while it moves, it focuses on a point below the craft) if, and only if, there's RealChutes installed in symmetry, however unlike the problems you all seem to have, I don't have evident physics problems (I'm not actively trying to reproduce them though), the craft is still stable and flyable.

It's been tested with a clean-slate windows x64 install, with only RealChutes as a mod (other installs are used to test additional mods).

It's been tested with 2 crafts :

1) Mk 16 chute + Command Pod Mk 1 + 2x FL-T800 + 0 to 4 Mk-2R chutes (in symmetry or not) + LV-T30

2) Mk 16 chute + Command Pod Mk 1 + SRB-KD25K + 0 to 4 Mk-2R chutes (in symmetry or not)

over 150 launches now, it's clearly due to RealChutes if chutes are used in symmetry, it's fixed by breaking the symmetry through StripSymmetry or PartsWizard.

It happens consistently, with a 100% rate of reproduction so far (and no problem without symmetry so far).

Talking of... FAR, once FAR is involved all bets are off, the current craft designs aren't really testable and my alternate test crafts either display no problem at all, or do so consistently at points unrelated to other crafts (speed and altitudes differ, aerostress differs, there's no constant I've identified yet, I once though it was aerostress, the Mach barrier but some multistage designs even display the problem when staging in orbit rather than during ascent which makes little sense to me).

While not consistent between designs, the reproduction conditions (when the problem happen) are consistent within the same design (under the same conditions, a design will always exhibit the problem at the same point).

As I am an idiot I have not kept the logs but since I still have some free time in the days to come, I can remake a set if that helps (however without FAR it's easily reproduced).

I can't do anything without your log files guys.

And to be perfectly blunt, I cannot reproduce any single of those bugs on my build. I'm not really going to investigate until I see some logs confirming you guys are on the right version, and installed the mod correctly.

I see, so "auto arm when staged" in the configfile, actually refers to triggering a stage. Umm, but why would one disable that? What happens if that setting is disabled? Do they deploy instantly on trigger, or do they not deploy automatically at all?

If it's disabled, the chute will deploy when staged, if it can deploy.

If it cannot deploy it will reset its staging status so that you can still stage it when it is in a deployable situation.

If install RealChutes on my vessel I get pulled sideways in flight. Sometimes the vessel shoots out of the screen, camera points in midair! No errors in debug window. (v1.2.2.1 / .24 / x64 / Win7)

I can't do anything without your log files guys.

And to be perfectly blunt, I cannot reproduce any single of those bugs on my build. I'm not really going to investigate until I see some logs confirming you guys are on the right version, and installed the mod correctly.

Well, here you are, then:

https://gist.github.com/cerebrate/65b7860eba25681ae139

Newly installed RealChute - hence the visit to R&D - and a freshly built craft in the VAB, which manifested all three of "rocket pulls hard to one side", "symmetrical groups of chutes in the VAB turn into single chutes on the launchpad", and "camera stays behind while rocket shoots madly off into the distance" during the run logged here.

-c

If install RealChutes on my vessel I get pulled sideways in flight. Sometimes the vessel shoots out of the screen, camera points in midair! No errors in debug window. (v1.2.2.1 / .24 / x64 / Win7)

I have this same problem. Same version of RealChute, same version of KSP, same version of Windows. I can give you a log file but nothing is crashing. Vessel just shoots off the screen and control seems to become impossible.

Camera bug, sorry, still happening with 1.2.2.1

Methodology :

Clean-slate windows x64 install, RealChute 1.2.2.1 added, then created a new sandbox game called test, used the 1) configuration (mk1 pod, mk16, 2 mkr2r in symmetry, 2flt800, 1 lvt30) from my previous post (I was still using 1.2.2 at the time of posting, so it was, indeed, irrelevant), launched right up, with SAS on, full throttle and waiting for it to happen, then I kill the game, kill it with fire !

Result : https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/368384/KSP.log

Don't hesitate to ask if you need more information or need me to run tests if you can't reproduce it on your side.

Edited by EthanKerbman
Irrelevant observations due to moderation policies

Guys, if for some reason Chris CAN'T reproduce it on his end, it's hard for him to corner it and the "simplest" explanation in absence of enough evidence is to conclude to user error, so it's up to US to give him enough evidence and collaboration so that he can reproduce or at least identify the reality and nature of the problem or at least be convinced that's it's not a simple case of PEBCAK.

Also, please note that the more mods you have when testing, the less your logs are actually useful UNLESS your problem is directly related to mods interactions, the more mods you have when testing, the more possible it becomes that the problem is triggered by another mod rather than being intrinsic to the mod in question.

FlexGunship, search in your settings.cfg, on line 36 you should have something like VERBOSE_DEBUG_LOG = False, set it to True, KSP will then produce a ksp.log file for each time it runs (every run overwrites the precedent so be sure to save it before making another run if you need it later).

Edited by EthanKerbman