[1.12.3+] RealChute Parachute Systems v1.4.9.4 | 02/06/24

stupid_chris

Actually, it says "Parachutes used (parachutes)" - hence the confusion

Ah, well that's an error on my part. Another thing to change for next update :P

Chris, I just wanted to say thank you for the effort you put into these chutes.

All I see is a vista of bug reports and hassle for yourself so I thought it would be nice for you to have a post that just said thanks.

So,

Thank you, stupid_chris for Realchutes.

Your chutes have been wonderful and I hope they become stock soon (if that is what you would want)

Thank you, I'm always glad to know people are liking what I do :P

Ah, well that's an error on my part. Another thing to change for next update :P

Thank you, I'm always glad to know people are liking what I do :P

Indeed, I find myself almost tempted to remove the stock parachute and shift some tech-tree use of your chutes around. The ability to tweak the parachutes as desired makes them infinitely more valuable to me for rocket use. The solution in design shouldn't always be 'strap more on' when you can design 'better' chutes for the situation.

Something is very wrong here =\

As you can see on screenshots, chute should behave completely normal (I actually didn't even play with settings). Instead only one canopy actually deployes, 2nd stayed predeployed till landing. Good thing I brought airbags for this mission.

Any ideas why this could've happened?

screenshot10.png

screenshot11.png

Did another launch of the same craft, just in case - same result:

screenshot10.jpg

Edited by Mystique

My weird behavior from the chutes: using the inline chute, somehow a setting gets lost and only one of the two chutes fully deploys at 700m, the other one stays half deployed until the ground. I am not sure if it's only the graphics, the pod lands at a normal-ish speed...

My weird behavior from the chutes: using the inline chute, somehow a setting gets lost and only one of the two chutes fully deploys at 700m, the other one stays half deployed until the ground. I am not sure if it's only the graphics, the pod lands at a normal-ish speed...

Look at the last post, quite literally.

Look at the last post, quite literally.

This one: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/57988-0-23-x-RealChute-Parachute-Systems-Now-with-100-less-Kraken%21-v1-0-4-1-1-04-14?p=1085170&viewfull=1#post1085170

Lol i just saw this, seems i loaded the page, decided to post about the problem about 45 minutes later, and then not even look if there were new messages.

I feel silly, i'll blame it on the fatigue...

I'm trying to change the config for the Apollo Parachutes for the OLDD Apollo, but I've ran into a problem:

tumblr_n3wdc7fVMy1rpsnwro1_1280.png

Those "balloons" are a part of the parachute model (there's only one model call in the main config for the chutes), and are supposed to show up after the chute is deployed, but the problem I'm having is before pre-deployment, the balloons are visible at launch and in the VAB. When you deploy the chute, however, the balloons disappear until after the chute has been fully opened, which is the normal operation.

Simplified: The balloons are visible when they shouldn't be. The balloons are a part of the Apollo Parachute model, and activate with the chutes' animation call, not via a separate animation call.

Module Manager Config:

@PART[Apollo_CM_parachutes]
{
maximum_drag = 0.32

!MODULE[ModuleParachute]{}

MODULE
{
name = RealChuteModule
material = Kevlar
caseMass = 0.2
preDeployedDiameter = 2.5
deployedDiameter = 50
minIsPressure = false
minDeployment = 2500
deploymentAlt = 550
cutAlt = -1
timer = 0
mustGoDown = false
preDeploymentSpeed = 1
deploymentSpeed = 5
cutSpeed = 0.5
preDeploymentAnimation = ParachutesSemi
deploymentAnimation = ParachutesFully
parachuteName = DeploySemi
capName = ParachutePacks
spareChutes = 5
}

MODULE
{
name = ProceduralChute
modelDiameter = 6
}

EFFECTS
{
rcpredeploy
{
AUDIO
{
channel = Ship
clip = sound_parachute_open
volume = 1
}
}

rcdeploy
{
AUDIO
{
channel = Ship
clip = sound_parachute_single
volume = 1
}
}

rccut
{
AUDIO
{
channel = Ship
clip = RealChute/Sounds/sound_parachute_cut
volume = 1
}
}

rcrepack
{
AUDIO
{
channel = Ship
clip = RealChute/Sounds/sound_parachute_repack
volume = 1
}
}
}
}

I'd need to see the old configs to be sure, but to me it sounds as if you are setting the wrong animation names/canopy name/cap name

Not sure if sharing configs is allowed, but since you're a moderator, here you go:

PART
{

// --- general parameters ---
name = Apollo_CM_parachutes
module = Part
author = DennyTX

// --- asset parameters ---

rescaleFactor = 1

MODEL
{
model = OLDD/ApolloCSM/Apollo_CM_parachutes
scale = 0.64, 0.64, 0.64
rotation = 0, 0, 0
}

// --- node definitions ---
// definition format is Position X, Position Y, Position Z, Up X, Up Y, Up Z, size
node_stack_top = 0.0, 0.763, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 1
node_stack_bottom = 0.0, 0.763, 0.0, 0.0, 1.0, 0.0, 1

// --- FX definitions ---
sound_parachute_open = activate

// --- editor parameters ---
TechRequired = specializedControl
entryCost = 5000
cost = 5000
category = Pods
subcategory = 0
title = Apollo CM triple parachutes

description = Apollo CM triple parachutes

// attachment rules: stack, srfAttach, allowStack, allowSrfAttach, allowCollision
attachRules = 1,0,1,0,0

// --- standard part parameters ---
mass = 0.555
dragModelType = default
angularDrag = 3
crashTolerance = 12
maxTemp = 1000

breakingForce = 100
breakingTorque = 50

stageOffset = -1

// ----- DO NOT EDIT BELOW THIS POINT ------

MODULE
{
name = ModuleParachute
invertCanopy = true
autoCutSpeed = 0.5
capName = ParachutePacks
canopyName = DeploySemi
semiDeployedAnimation = ParachutesSemi
fullyDeployedAnimation = ParachutesFully
stowedDrag = 0.22
semiDeployedDrag = 1
fullyDeployedDrag = 500
minAirPressureToOpen = 0.01
deployAltitude = 500
deploymentSpeed = 1
semiDeploymentSpeed = 1
}
}

Edited by Deltac

Not sure if sharing configs is allowed, but since you're a moderator, here you go:

-snip-

I'm confus ._. does the log show any red lines when you create the part in the editor? And if so can you send me your output_log.txt?

Chris is the secondary chute bug something that's fixable?

Not without changing the plugi- oh wow. Actually yes.

Hold on I'll do a quick MM patch to fix it, can't believe I haven't thought of this before. Thanks for actually asking.

Scratch that, didn't work. Will have to wait for 1.0.5, which should be next week if all goes well :/

Edited by stupid_chris

That first "bug" is only an aesthetics bug. It won't show anything but the values are there anyway. It's not in my field, KSP is the only thing that handles part copying, and apparently it's too dumb to properly initiate the components. So yeah, the values are applying normally, ignore it.

I'd edit the OP to show this, but I'm getting 500's

The KSP.log doesn't tell me what's going on unfortunately. I'll need your output_log.txt

EDIT: I scrolled through it and it doesn't even seem any RealChute part was even present in any of the flights of this log.

that's the problem, I most certainly put a Realchute part on that rocket. and for some reason it doesn't load it.

that's the problem, I most certainly put a Realchute part on that rocket. and for some reason it doesn't load it.

There's a lot of errors coming from a lot of mods, mainly MechJeb, I would try removing them to see if that would be the cause of the problem.

There's a lot of errors coming from a lot of mods, mainly MechJeb, I would try removing them to see if that would be the cause of the problem.

mechjeb seems to be throwing alot of errors lately...

in other news, I decided to take a look at the code for RC.... it... it.... it's beautiful... lol

mechjeb seems to be throwing alot of errors lately...

in other news, I decided to take a look at the code for RC.... it... it.... it's beautiful... lol

Extremely inneficient to be honest :/ I'm a science students and this is merely a hobby, Kethane has some much better code to look at tbh

So for those interested by the secondary chute bug.

case DeploymentStates.DEPLOYED:
{
FollowDragDirection(secParachute, GetForcedVector(secParachute, secForcedOrientation));
ParachuteNoise(secParachute);
this.part.rigidbody.AddForceAtPosition(DragForce(secPreDeployedArea, secDeployedArea, secMat.dragCoefficient, secDeploymentSpeed, false), secForcePosition, ForceMode.Force);
{
secDragTimer.Reset();
secDragTimer.Start();
this.part.PlayAnimation(secDeploymentAnimation, 1 / secDeploymentSpeed);
this.secPlayed = true;
}
break;
}

This is the relevant code to the issue. This basically controls the secondary deployment. It should've said this:

case DeploymentStates.DEPLOYED:
{
FollowDragDirection(secParachute, GetForcedVector(secParachute, secForcedOrientation));
ParachuteNoise(secParachute);
this.part.rigidbody.AddForceAtPosition(DragForce(secPreDeployedArea, secDeployedArea, secMat.dragCoefficient, secDeploymentSpeed, false), secForcePosition, ForceMode.Force);
[COLOR="#FF0000"][B]if (!this.part.CheckAnimationPlaying(secPreDeploymentAnimation) && !this.secPlayed)[/B][/COLOR]
{
secDragTimer.Reset();
secDragTimer.Start();
this.part.PlayAnimation(secDeploymentAnimation, 1 / secDeploymentSpeed);
this.secPlayed = true;
}
break;
}

Basically, the bolded part is what controls the access to this short block below. Without it, this block would run every frame... and thus, the animation would be resetted every frame, and the drag as well. So it just appeared to never deploy, while it was constantly deploying over and over again, but just resetted itself each frame. Yay for typos that don't throw errors but completely render your code unfunctional.

Edited by stupid_chris

So for those interested by the secondary chute bug.

Basically, the bolded part is what controls the access to this short block below. Without it, this block would run every frame... and thus, the animation would be resetted every frame, and the drag as well. So it just appeared to never deploy, while it was constantly deploying over and over again, but just resetted itself each frame. Yay for typos that don't throw errors but completely render your code unfunctional.

Yeah, those are always fun. How do you expect me to find you, bug, when you don't throw errors???

Playing 'find the missing brace' is also good fun.

Or writing several hundred lines of code without trying to compile once and then wondering at the end which part is keeping you from compiling...

Or writing several hundred lines of code without trying to compile once and then wondering at the end which part is keeping you from compiling...

I relate to this on an emotional level. Literally the transition from v0.3 -> v1.0

EDIT: and oh wow that was my 4000th post