[1.12.X] RealChute Parachute Systems v1.4.8.3 | 24/01/21

stupid_chris

Questions on the drag calculator - what determines the value you need to set for the drag coefficient and why is the main chute full deploy height disabled when it appears you can change it in the VAB? Also does the number of chutes refer to the number of chute parts used or the number actually deployed? For example the main chute part will deploy 3 chutes while the radial will only deploy 1. So if I'm calculating the diameter needed for a main chute do I plug 3 into the chute count?

Just saw your post in the development thread - I get now that parachute count refers to part count used (duh, since there are two separate calculation modes in the app) and I understand a bit more what the drag coefficient is for but still not quite sure...

Thre drag coefficient comes from the material. As for the main chute full deployment height, this is only needed for drogues. Let's say you want your drogues to slow you down to 80m/s at 700m so your main can deploy, you would set that as 700m. It's just the altitude at which you want the speed to be taken.

As for the count, yes, you want the parts. however, if you want to have it to set the scale of the parachutes in the config, set it to three.

Ok I think I have a better grasp of it all now. An example would probably work best though. Here is my manned suborbital capsule with a main chute. I've used the calculator to set it up as required for a 5m/s landing to not destroy the engine which has a crash tolerance of 7m/s. Is this all correct?

realchute%20calc%20ex.png

if so my only remaining questoins are the "Predep time" and "Dep time" settings. Those are to help reduce any hard G forces from the chute opening correct? The larger the chute diameter the larger the deployment amount should be?

Thanks, just trying to keep my kerbals safe! :)

also a small suggestion if you ever want to update the calculator with other things as well - I see that the various parachute types have consistent material properties (silk for drags, nylon for mains, kevlar for drogues) so the calculator might as well pre-set the Drag Coefficient when you select the type of chute (radio button or tab) so we don't have to reference the ParachuteMaterials.cfg

Ok I think I have a better grasp of it all now. An example would probably work best though. Here is my manned suborbital capsule with a main chute. I've used the calculator to set it up as required for a 5m/s landing to not destroy the engine which has a crash tolerance of 7m/s. Is this all correct?

http://www.blade-edge.com/images/forums/ksp/realchute%20calc%20ex.png

if so my only remaining questoins are the "Predep time" and "Dep time" settings. Those are to help reduce any hard G forces from the chute opening correct? The larger the chute diameter the larger the deployment amount should be?

Thanks, just trying to keep my kerbals safe! :)

You'd need to use "1" as the number of parachutes here, unless I'm missing some hidden parts. But else it looks all good. Three would be to change the scale of the chute manually from the config.

also a small suggestion if you ever want to update the calculator with other things as well - I see that the various parachute types have consistent material properties (silk for drags, nylon for mains, kevlar for drogues) so the calculator might as well pre-set the Drag Coefficient when you select the type of chute (radio button or tab) so we don't have to reference the ParachuteMaterials.cfg

I had thought about it, but it is unlikely I will update the calculator given the uncoming update :P

this is exciting, apparently the big update is not so far :)

It's getting closer, but it's not quite there yet :P I'm having problems with the rescaling mechanisms.

Hello, I have just encountered a bug of sorts relating to time acceleration when the parachutes get deployed. For some reason when the parachutes fully deploy, and I time accelerate to float down to the ground more quickly, the parachutes decide to shake around a bunch very quickly and break themselves while launching my command pod away horizontally. Other than when I time accelerate this mod works amazingly, but it can get annoying to wait 5 minutes to land. If it does make a difference I have FAR installed and have module manager1_5_6. Does anyone else have this issue? I would be very grateful for a response.

Thanks in advance.

It has been mentioned by stupid_chris that you shouldn't time warp because unexpected things happen, like your example. From my experience, you can warp at x2 without it breaking

You can generally go up to x3, but x4 is right out, lest you incur the wrath of the Kraken.

sorry, just realized I'm still a bit unclear on how the deployment time affects G forces. Is there an equation I can use to calculate the amount of G's that will be placed on whatever is attached to the chute when it deploys over a given time for a given diameter? Thanks for all the help

Unfortunately for me though, any time warping causes this problem. Guess I'll have to wait awhile for my pod to float down, these parachutes are worth it anyway.

Try playing with your max physics delta time in the settings menu. I believe you want the largest value, it should prevent the game from borking the calculations /too/ much :P

sorry, just realized I'm still a bit unclear on how the deployment time affects G forces. Is there an equation I can use to calculate the amount of G's that will be placed on whatever is attached to the chute when it deploys over a given time for a given diameter? Thanks for all the help

There's no equation really, but leaving it at 2 and 6 should be good 90% of the time.

Also, progreeeeesss!!

I've managed to fixed the last bugs with the parachute modification. Now I'm reworking some stuff in the actual RealChuteModule itself.

Time for some good and bad news:

The good news is, now we only need four parts. Cone, cone with two chutes, radial, and stack. Also, I'm working on fixing some bugs with deployment of the chutes, and I'm probably going to completely ditch the stock staging controller.

The bad news is, given we only need four parts, ships will break. I will include a folder with all the legacy parts, but it's still not going to be fun. You will have to keep that folder with all the 19 old parts as long as you ships in flight with the old parts, else you will lose these ships. The folder will also serve to allow you guys to replace the old parts with the new parts your ship files from the editor.

That's about it for now, cheers!

Edited by stupid_chris

YAY PROGRESS! Time to get rid of everything that has a realchute on it...so...everything! (Thanks for the heads up though)
let the ships break! (that's what they are mode for anyway :P) this is awesome! :)

Aye, this is what the heads up was for. I'm finally seeing the end of the tunnel here. Release should be in less than a week if everything goes well :)

Try playing with your max physics delta time in the settings menu. I believe you want the largest value, it should prevent the game from borking the calculations /too/ much :P

Thank you so much for the reply, as it turns out I had already set it to the highest value and that is what was causing the problem. I turned it down a bit and now I can accelerate up to 3x. :)

Thank you so much for the reply, as it turns out I had already set it to the highest value and that is what was causing the problem. I turned it down a bit and now I can accelerate up to 3x. :)

Ah, sorry for the inversion, but I knew it had something to do with that :P

Now, another surprise I had for you guys:

LgFh7Bm.png

Soonâ„¢

Would that be possible to disable the configuration on a specific chute? There are chutes in historical packs that should not have tweakables.

Ah yes good idea, not hard, I'll add this now :)

EDIT: At the same time if you'd like to tell me which parts you would not want to be tweakable would be nice.

Edited by stupid_chris

my ships keep blowing up in the atmosphere when I deploy the drouge shoots. I have FAR and Deadly Reentry. Is this an issue?

Deadly Reentry will destroy your chutes if it's too hot outside to deploy them.

I'm not sure if that is your issue or not since you say that it is your ships doing the blowing up.... You your ships? The whole ship? What does the report say after?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.