[1.12.X] RealChute Parachute Systems v1.4.8.3 | 24/01/21

stupid_chris

I'll need more info. Have you tweakaed, it, can I get an output_log.text, how have you deployed it, etc.

Oh I forgot to mention I have the S-9000 science capsule underneath and lander legs so I'm a lot taller than just the capsule. No tweaks. Here's a picture:

bad.jpg

<<edit>>

I'll try and replicate another crash to give you an output.

<<edit 2>>

OK here's the output log.

Edited by jpinard

You guys do know that parachutes cannot be armed when staging, right?
I have no idea what you mean by this, can you explain? When I include a parachute in a stage I expect it to then OPEN. What is happening is when I activate the stage the chute is in (droge+main 1.25m cone) it doesn't open. I have to manually right click and arm the chute cone for it to work. Edited by forsaken1111

It is not supposed to open at a wrong altitude or pressure, you can set those parameters with twekables. With this you can for example with RemoteTech and DRE stage the parachute after doing the deorbit burn, re-enter the atmosphere and after that the chutes open, without having to press any key

It is not supposed to open at a wrong altitude or pressure, you can set those parameters with twekables. With this you can for example with RemoteTech and DRE stage the parachute after doing the deorbit burn, re-enter the atmosphere and after that the chutes open, without having to press any key
While that makes sense, that is not at all what I wrote or have observed. At least with this craft, if I stage to the final stage (which contains only the deorbit engines and parachute) the craft will happily slam into the ground without ever deploying the parachutes. This is on Kerbin, and without me having tweaked anything in the chutes.

If i right click and arm the chute manually it works fine with the drogue chute deploying, automatically cutting itself, main chute deploying and gentle touchdown.

I'll record this behavior if you like.

While that makes sense, that is not at all what I wrote or have observed. At least with this craft, if I stage to the final stage (which contains only the deorbit engines and parachute) the craft will happily slam into the ground without ever deploying the parachutes. This is on Kerbin, and without me having tweaked anything in the chutes.

If i right click and arm the chute manually it works fine with the drogue chute deploying, automatically cutting itself, main chute deploying and gentle touchdown.

I'll record this behavior if you like.

Okay here's how it works:

When you stage a parachute, the plugin looks if the parachute can be opened, NOW. If it can't, it automatically deactivates the parachute right away.

However, the parachute is then considered staged, because you did actually stage it. So, if you want to deploy it again using the spacebar (or whatever you assigned staging to), you need to move the parachute into a new, further state, and do it again. This isn't an issue I can fixed, it's a problem with the staging list.

If you want to deploy the parachute as soon as possible, you need to arm it. This cannot be done with staging. This must be done through action groups or prart GUI.

This is intended behaviour. Just make sure you can deploy the parachute when you press space, else you are indeed going to smash the ground.

Okay here's how it works:

When you stage a parachute, the plugin looks if the parachute can be opened, NOW. If it can't, it automatically deactivates the parachute right away.

However, the parachute is then considered staged, because you did actually stage it. So, if you want to deploy it again using the spacebar (or whatever you assigned staging to), you need to move the parachute into a new, further state, and do it again. This isn't an issue I can fixed, it's a problem with the staging list.

If you want to deploy the parachute as soon as possible, you need to arm it. This cannot be done with staging. This must be done through action groups or prart GUI.

This is intended behaviour. Just make sure you can deploy the parachute when you press space, else you are indeed going to smash the ground.

That does indeed shed some light on what is happening, and not at all how I expected the chutes to behave. I expected that, once staged, the chute would activate when the deployment conditions were met as do stock chutes.

I'm honestly not sure how much I like that.

How are tweakables accessed?

StupidChris - the file you want... it's massive. Can I just delete that file to have the game start a fresh one?

Ehm right click the part...

Ohhh before launch. Cool! That will solve my problem. What do the bottom 2 settings do? ie. Predep Time & Dep Time. Is one for how long it takes for the ropes to go out and the parachute to expand? If so, what happens if I crank them up to like 10 or down to 0?

Thanks for all the help and Stupid Chris - thank you for such an amazing mod! You do great work!

Ohhh before launch. Cool! That will solve my problem. What do the bottom 2 settings do? ie. Predep Time & Dep Time. Is one for how long it takes for the ropes to go out and the parachute to expand? If so, what happens if I crank them up to like 10 or down to 0?

Thanks for all the help and Stupid Chris - thank you for such an amazing mod! You do great work!

Or already in the VAB, this is the tweakable feature added in 0.23, remember? :D

Ah, that makes sense. I'll assign it to abort like Commissar suggested. I'd love to be able to assign action-group-class actions to staging, but that ball's definitely in Squad's court right now.

Anyhow thanks again for the mod! :)

Ah, that makes sense. I'll assign it to abort like Commissar suggested. I'd love to be able to assign action-group-class actions to staging, but that ball's definitely in Squad's court right now.

Anyhow thanks again for the mod! :)

Well, you can, technically sort of, you just can't control when in the stage it goes off...

Well, you can, technically sort of, you just can't control when in the stage it goes off...

Oh, you mean by assigning it TO staging? Hehe.. yeah, a little uncontrolled. :)

I was thinking more along the lines of having a set of icons that you can assign tasks to in the action group settings, and then drag 'em into the staging system. That would totally be something Squad has to do though.

That does indeed shed some light on what is happening, and not at all how I expected the chutes to behave. I expected that, once staged, the chute would activate when the deployment conditions were met as do stock chutes.

I'm honestly not sure how much I like that.

This is an attempt a bypassing the staging controller (which is huge crap to be honest) and prevent parachutes from deploying in space when accidentally pressing the spacebar. This is one of the biggest annoyance of the stock parachutes IMO, as they end up locked this way. If you don't like that behaviour, simply right click and then press "arm chute", it does exactly what you want.

StupidChris - the file you want... it's massive. Can I just delete that file to have the game start a fresh one?

This file is regenerated each time it the game boots. And yes this is what I want, the massive file. All of it.

OK I got the chutes to deploy properly Yippee! Ok, so what do Predep Time and Dep Time do specifically?

Those are the predeployment and deployment speeds, in seconds. The higher the value, the slower the deployment.

This is an attempt a bypassing the staging controller (which is huge crap to be honest) and prevent parachutes from deploying in space when accidentally pressing the spacebar. This is one of the biggest annoyance of the stock parachutes IMO, as they end up locked this way. If you don't like that behaviour, simply right click and then press "arm chute", it does exactly what you want.

This file is regenerated each time it the game boots. And yes this is what I want, the massive file. All of it.

Those are the predeployment and deployment speeds, in seconds. The higher the value, the slower the deployment.

i personally use the abort group in all craft that don't have an abort system. it's the only one that uniformly is unlikely to be used by anything else.

the other fetures are quite handly, had a chute rip off on a vertical descent for thje first time in a looooooooooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnggggggggggg time. i simple lengthened the semi dep time

Edited by Commissar

Just wondering: shouldn't number of spares affect part's mass somehow?

And dep time in tweaks - is it time that it takes to fully open chute from the moment when I press the button or something else?

Semi-deploy time is how long it takes to open from closed to halfdeployed, and fully deploy time is how long time it takes to go from half deployed to fully deployed.

Semi-deploy time is how long it takes to open from closed to halfdeployed, and fully deploy time is how long time it takes to go from half deployed to fully deployed.

Gotcha. And just to be sure - that time is measured in seconds, right? I want to make some really scary landings to make Jeb happy-)

Edited by Mystique

Just wondering: shouldn't number of spares affect part's mass somehow?

And dep time in tweaks - is it time that it takes to fully open chute from the moment when I press the button or something else?

Yes, it's down my roadmap to have this affect total mass.

Gotcha. And just to be sure - that time is measured in seconds, right? I want to make some really scary landings to make Jeb happy-)

Yep, it would be in seconds. Also, a new teaser for you guys!

VAOx0bz.png

Cheers!

Nice mod works perfectly for me, the rearm feature is awesome, really looking forward to your work.

The teaser, o God, ETA for release?

None for now, my development process is erratic because of school, as soon as I have it together. But it'll be a monster update for sure.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.