[0.23]asmi's ECLSS Mod (current version - 1.0.15) - Life Support Mod

asmi

Good day. Love your mod, but I do not like that there are side effects like the pictures you.

The question of how to avoid them?

Can I leave my resources, but to remove the death of that air would not be? but to leave and they were consumed.

Izvenyayus advance, as I write I do not know English language and translate prog))

Thank you.

Ive stopped using your mod because of the gui not being able to close. And quite a few other people over on steam aren't using it for the same reason. Leaving it for people to figure out "as an exercise", is a bad idea. If you want people to use you mod, bugs like this is not how to do it. People don't have the time or patience for that.

Between that and the monopropellant bug, its more trouble than its worth using this mod.. You should reconsider. I would fix those two problems as fast as possible, because this isn't the only life support mod. And the others don't have these problems.

Asmi appears to be hard at work trying to fix said problems, so.. patience is key. I've had to drop the plugin aswell because of the UI lockups. Can't click anything in the VAB. Menu buttons don't function and I can't quicksave. So yea I'm shelfing this until ECLSS 2. Do what you gotta do Asmi. I love this mod. TAC.. I've considered it, but its just overkill. We need away to incorporate these resources WITHOUT PARTS imo. That's why I like ECLSS its just cO2 and O2..

Anymore then that and its slap on more parts more parts. I mean look at Apollo. Enough resources to support 3 for the duration of the mission. Yet there are no big, stupid tanks hanging off the side of the SM labeled Food, Waste, water, O2, cO2... Is there?

Imo.. get rid of the parts. Or just have one inline part that can be filled with ALL resources via MFT during construction. The more you add the heavier it gets. The same could even be done with every command pod. Granted there are ways to hide parts and pretty up rockets, but beyong Kerbin's SoI where you need more and more life support.. Idk what you can do to hide the massive amount of LS parts you need.

Edited by Motokid600

I like this mod a lot, the concept is very good in principle. Clean and just the needed elements and interface. But I agree that some problems are turning me off.

- I can't terminate debris in the tracking station

- I experience some of the UI lockups Motokid600 mentions. I use RT, though, might it have to do with that? But the interface sometimes locks up in the VAB, too. (If you need more data, I'll try to reproduce it.)

- I experienced the leaving-a-Kerbal-on-EVA-issue now, and took a series of screenshots. I noticed that the number of Kerbals seems to multiply in each screenshot, at least by counting the helmets visible. Might Nutt's bolded comment about a Kerbal in EVA having a crew of five have something to do with it?

Please don't give up, I'm sure if you can make this work, this will be my choice for a life support mod. Take your time. :)

I prefer this over tac any day not because of less complexity but because the gui seem much more well designed and flows better with the game(except ofcourse for the aforementioned bugs). Looking forward to the extra crew resouces.The models that come with it are also lovely. Keep up the good work asmi im sure you will eventually find a sollution to the only really major issue with the plugin(the eva bug). If i can think of any way to help out ill do so.

Thanks again for devoting your free time to expand on the game. Dont give up

Edited by landeTLS

Imo.. get rid of the parts. Or just have one inline part that can be filled with ALL resources via MFT during construction. The more you add the heavier it gets. The same could even be done with every command pod. Granted there are ways to hide parts and pretty up rockets, but beyong Kerbin's SoI where you need more and more life support.. Idk what you can do to hide the massive amount of LS parts you need.

Use Kingtiger's mod-mod, it reduces the size of parts and gives them a more sensible capacity. With about 15 large tanks and a Co2 scrubber, you can last about two years for 8 tons of life support payload. Haven't put it into practice yet, but that's what i seem to get with a testbed in Kerbin orbit.

Parts are nice, at least done conservatively. Bobcat's models are what drove me to ECLSS, and it would be a shame if they were binned. Half the fun of KSP is designing functional craft that look good, and working out how to incorporate an attractive 8ton block of consumables on a Dres-bound service module is rewarding :)

Use Kingtiger's mod-mod, it reduces the size of parts and gives them a more sensible capacity.

I can recommend this, but I edited out the rescaling as I think the larger parts look more convincing for a long range hab module or a station. I'm thinking about adding the scaled down parts back in, but with a matching lower capacity.

Thanks again for devoting your free time to expand on the game. Dont give up

I've got a long weekend ahead, hopefully I'll be able to resolve it then.

I've got two major things to take care of until it will be ready for public alpha testing - abovementioned eva bug, and updating notifications so they would react to other resources as well.

After that is taken care of I will need several volunteers to help me out with balancing since it would require ample amounts of playing, and I simply don't have that much spare time.

Edited by asmi

I've got a long weekend ahead, hopefully I'll be able to resolve it then.

I've got two major things to take care of until it will be ready for public alpha testing - abovementioned eva bug, and updating notifications so they would react to other resources as well.

After that is taken care of I will need several volunteers to help me out with balancing since it would require ample amounts of playing, and I simply don't have that much spare time.

Ill help testing ofcourse. Good luck

I love this mod itself, but some of the bugs are killing the experience. I can live with the 'EVA-left-in-space' bug, as I never leave my Kerbals floating mid-vacuum, but the 'disappearing monopropellant' bug drives me nuts. Trying to maintain a station is considerably less fun if each spacewalk removes some 80 units of monopropellant from the station's mere 550 unit storage, i.e. it barely takes 7 spacewalks to empty the entire craft, despite not using a single drop (I never left the ladder).

TL;DR there's two issues:

• Each EVA removes 80 units of monopropellant from vessel, even though each Kerbal only carries 20 units of 'EVA propellant' (which I assume corresponds to 20 units of monopropellant).
  • Monopropellant removed by going EVA is not returned to vessel upon boarding.

Not sure if this is the reason for the bug, but I EVA'd from and re-boarded a 3rd party science lab, which in itself does not hold any oxygen or CO2. Haven't tested on normal crew capsule yet. Maybe all crew-capable modules could have your ECLSS implemented in the future, the same way as it was done to all crew-capable command pods.

@asmi, could you tell me how to a) disable the function that makes Kerbals remove monopropellant from vessels, or B) decrease the amount removed and fix the return of spare monopropellant to the boarded vessel, please? I'm digging the O2/CO2 side of this mod, and I sincerely like the idea of the EVA fuel, but the bugs prevent me from using it 100%. That being said, I will continue to use your mod - it's just the best one out there to this date! :D

Cheers,

- ThomsenX

Edited by ThomsenX

This mod is really great, but it could do with some 1.25m tanks and units for earlier in the tech tree. Also, if I have mods adding cockpits in, will they function with ECLSS and have oxygen/C02 storage?

Edited by TimMartland

I've fixed it in 2.0 quite some time ago.

EDIT: Will 2.0 be addressing the GUI/can't close windows issue? That sticks out in my mind more than anything, since there's no way around it except avoiding parts that generate windows, and its tied to the persistence issues.

Time to be patient!

Edited by Synthesis

Happy birthday! The screenshot looks good--though I think food and water would be a little too much management for me. Will it be possible just to edit 2.0 to only track breathable atmosphere?

It's going to be totally configurable, only O2&CO2 will be mandatory (I had to settle for it to preserve backward compatibility).

And thanks to everyone for congratulations :)