[0.23]asmi's ECLSS Mod (current version - 1.0.15) - Life Support Mod

asmi

Hi Asmi, after a while the frame rate started dropping like crazy. From 30+ fps to < 10 fps. Do you want the log file? I'm not using other mods but Soviet Pack and Mechjeb. However, removing the ECLSS folder brings my FPS back up to 30+. There's gotta be a memory leak somewhere.

EDIT: Alright I think I tracked it down to the regenerator. Activating it drops by FPS from 23 to 10.

EDIT2: Also, when on map view, focusing on other vessel or at the launchpad, the FPS drop a lot regardless of ECLSS. Maybe all the calculations bog down the whole system? Is there a quick way to say, make the calculations every second and not every milisecond?

Edited by AlbertoKermov

Hi Asmi, after a while the frame rate started dropping like crazy. From 30+ fps to < 10 fps. Do you want the log file? I'm not using other mods but Soviet Pack and Mechjeb. However, removing the ECLSS folder brings my FPS back up to 30+. There's gotta be a memory leak somewhere.

On my computer with 10 missions running in parallel I'm getting <3ms for all processing at each FixedUpdate step, which corresponds to 330+ fps so it couldn't possibly be a reason for slowdowns. Can you please package and send me your save file and craft files you've built so I could profile it?

I'd suggest you not to draw far-reaching conclusions from unbalanced system. I'd get to it once I resolve performance issues since they seem to be of higher priority now.

I'd go slightly farther than sirklick... I used to SCUBA dive and your standard AL80 is 3,000 psi. (AL for aluminum, 80 for cubic feet 210 bar for our friends). The AL80 is your "iconic" "air tank" people think about when you say "SCUBA". Personally I'd look at the stats on the steel HP130's (used in technical diving mostly).

If you really wanna get jiggy, checkout some rebreather's (such as the inspiration).

Ya ya I know, should be looking at space program ways of doing things, but this should give an idea anyway.

Hope it helps out.

I'd suggest you not to draw far-reaching conclusions from unbalanced system. I'd get to it once I resolve performance issues since they seem to be of higher priority now.

Absolutely, bug squashing and performance increases should come first. As far as "far-reaching conclusions"... this is a discussion board and feedback resource. Discussion about experienced issues that are not immediately related to what you are working on is going to happen. My post was meant to calm the demand others on this forum who have asked for much larger tanks. This is your mod and I am sure you have your own plans for it. I'm not telling you what to do, just starting a discussion about a possible solution to the demand for more O2. If you don't want these side discussions to happen, that's fine, I will take my leave.

Absolutely, bug squashing and performance increases should come first. As far as "far-reaching conclusions"... this is a discussion board and feedback resource. Discussion about experienced issues that are not immediately related to what you are working on is going to happen. My post was meant to calm the demand others on this forum who have asked for much larger tanks. This is your mod and I am sure you have your own plans for it. I'm not telling you what to do, just starting a discussion about a possible solution to the demand for more O2. If you don't want these side discussions to happen, that's fine, I will take my leave.

Well I didn't say "do not talk about that", I'm only suggesting you to keep in mind that current system is unbalanced. I've received the parts about 1 hr before I was going to release the first version, so I didn't have adequate amount of time to think it through.

Well I didn't say "do not talk about that", I'm only suggesting you to keep in mind that current system is unbalanced. I've received the parts about 1 hr before I was going to release the first version, so I didn't have adequate amount of time to think it through.

We are not trying to fault you on that asmi, we are just attempting to start a dialogue on what is needed to help balance the parts.

We are not trying to fault you on that asmi, we are just attempting to start a dialogue on what is needed to help balance the parts.

Seconded, this is my favorite lifesupport mod, sadly I can't get it to play nice with remote tech 2, but I'll live.

Seconded, this is my favorite lifesupport mod, sadly I can't get it to play nice with remote tech 2, but I'll live.

I gave up on Remote Tech 2, between FAR, Deadly, and ECLSS I have enough things to drive me nuts during mission planning lol. That and I got tired of having to babysit satellites...

OK, guys, I've completed some optimizations, and with the help from kyle.mk.howard who helped me a lot, the problem seemed to be tracked down to Romfarer's plugin.

But I still need more information for the definitive diagnosis, so I've built a profile version of the plugin, which can be downloaded here: https://bitbucket.org/asmi/ksp/downloads/LifeSupportMod.1.0.6p.zip

Please note that this build is going to output some profiling information, and as such, will be somewhat slower than it could be. All you guys who have a problem, please install this build, run it and publish your log files as well as some very basic information about your computer - namely CPU brand and model, clock frequency and number of cores. For best results those of you guys who's got Romfarer's plugin installed, please do two runs - with it and without it, and remember to keep log files since they are overwritten each time you start KSP.

I'd appreciate your help in figuring out the issue!

And a couple of words regarding balance - today I've had a very helpful conversation with BobCat, and we have decided that no matter how you turn it, but oxygen isn't such a critical element in ECLSS system (even small tank can hold 400+ days worth of oxygen for 1 kerbal at 100 times atmosphere pressure), so we've decided to change our priorities and add water and some of mechanics related to it. So expect a somewhat major update in a week or two :) We'll also take care of balance much better that way.

I gave up on Remote Tech 2, between FAR, Deadly, and ECLSS I have enough things to drive me nuts during mission planning lol. That and I got tired of having to babysit satellites...

I love RT too much to give up on it, myself. FAR is the one I can't stand.

Splitting water into O2 and H2 (Elektron style) for the O2 as well as hydration etc? Agreed about the O2 tanks, with realistic mass and volume as a compressed gas the actual quantity required for even very long missions is quite small. When I was fiddling with the values to store in command pods, 5 units of O2 ended up being enough for over 4 days!

OK, guys, I've completed some optimizations, and with the help from kyle.mk.howard who helped me a lot, the problem seemed to be tracked down to Romfarer's plugin.

But I still need more information for the definitive diagnosis, so I've built a profile version of the plugin, which can be downloaded here: https://bitbucket.org/asmi/ksp/downloads/LifeSupportMod.1.0.6p.zip

Please note that this build is going to output some profiling information, and as such, will be somewhat slower than it could be. All you guys who have a problem, please install this build, run it and publish your log files as well as some very basic information about your computer - namely CPU brand and model, clock frequency and number of cores. For best results those of you guys who's got Romfarer's plugin installed, please do two runs - with it and without it, and remember to keep log files since they are overwritten each time you start KSP.

I'd appreciate your help in figuring out the issue!

Howdy asmi,

I just started to try out ECLSS and ran into the performance issue. I removed all of the Romfarer stuff I had installed (LAZOR + camera) and I still had the same performance issue. Also tried the 1.0.6p with the same issue. I noticed that as soon as my first satellite leaves the atmosphere, I start getting a lag spike every few seconds. (see the clock flash yellow). Then when I try to launch the second vessel, massive drops from 5 to 15 fps.

In any case, here are the log files for 1.0.6p with and without Romfarer installed.

1.0.6p with Romfarer output Log file : LINK

1.0.6p without Romfarer ouput Log file : LINK

CPU: I7-2600k @ 4.0ghz

4 Cores with Hyperthreading

GTX 670

8GB RAM

W8

I'm praying the gods of gaming this can be resolved! :D

Edited by MedievalNerd

And a couple of words regarding balance - today I've had a very helpful conversation with BobCat, and we have decided that no matter how you turn it, but oxygen isn't such a critical element in ECLSS system (even small tank can hold 400+ days worth of oxygen for 1 kerbal at 100 times atmosphere pressure), so we've decided to change our priorities and add water and some of mechanics related to it. So expect a somewhat major update in a week or two :) We'll also take care of balance much better that way.

But that's not what we are seeing ingame....

Based on numbers I am seeing in the below image and actually timing the consumption rate I have found that. Using the regenerator, 1 unit of O2 = 460seconds, 1 small tank is 400 units so 51.1hours.

Thats over 180 times less then what your saying it should be.... If it was 18 times instead of 180 it would not be so bad but right now it is logistically not worth it to go beyond Minmus.

prC1xzE.png

Its fairly easy to edit the config files for the parts to your liking, I made the large tank hold 2100 o2 units, seemed to scale to the small tank better, if you increased the small tanks capacity and weight by 5, they were just about the same.

But that's not what we are seeing ingame....

Based on numbers I am seeing in the below image and actually timing the consumption rate I have found that. Using the regenerator, 1 unit of O2 = 460seconds, 1 small tank is 400 units so 51.1hours.

Thats over 180 times less then what your saying it should be.... If it was 18 times instead of 180 it would not be so bad but right now it is logistically not worth it to go beyond Minmus.

*snip*

As asmi said above, will be balanced out in a future update. It sounds like this is going to start working more like the ECLSS on the ISS, which is quite neat. If you can't wait, I made some tweaks that utilize ModuleManager bring ECLSS in line with somewhat realistic densities. It is not really that fun to play, but it is in my signature.

Ok guys, thanks to everybody who sent me profile results, I think I've identified & fixed a major source of slowdowns, on my computers it now works four-five times faster (<1ms for processing), but it's not over yet :)

I've just published a new profile build 1.0.6p2, please run it and publish your logs so I could assess the difference and find out if it's good enough, or I need to keep digging.

Please note that this is again a profile build, and as such will work slower than it could without profiling.

Ouch, so the Romfarer plugin was killing my fps - I had the robotic arms installed. But your latest version (p2) is an order of magnitude better for me. Romfarer plugin will be sitting in the mod quarantine for a while...

I'll attach the logs anyway, it may be of help.

http://www./download/ga7dqod3tsnqxux/eclss_logs.zip

i5 3570K @ 4GHz

Thanks for testing out. I'll wait till tomorrow for more reports to confirm the fix, and then I'll release production build, that should work even faster.

And Romfarer's mod was not the reason, so you can put it back :)