[WIP][TechTree @ 0.23.5] - [MS19e] - Realistic Progression LITE

MedievalNerd

Hypothetically (maybe not) you could make one experiment take a very long time (months/years) to justify the need for orbital labs and space stations.

THIS. i would love, having to send TAC life support care packages up to the crew, performing the experiment. then having to have a rover up there to go and grab it. this would make a purpose for actual space bases!

Also, i'm sure you've seen this, but just to be sure i wanna say that AIES has been updated to 0.23! :)

I'd really love to download this mod, but a few mods in the "Essentials" lists I don't want to use, such as deadly re entry and TAC, Infernal Robotics, and a few others that will change my game in big ways. Will this still work without those?

I see no reason why it shouldn't work without TAC LS, DREC and IR, but I'm not sure.

What I am absolutely sure of is that the game won't be properly balanced without them.

Plus you're missing out on awesome if not using IR.

I'd really love to download this mod, but a few mods in the "Essentials" lists I don't want to use, such as deadly re entry and TAC, Infernal Robotics, and a few others that will change my game in big ways. Will this still work without those?

Other than any mod pertaining engines, and preferably RSS. It's pretty optional, but like Visari said it might not be balanced properly down the road. Although at this point things aren't that all balanced anyway. :)

But yeah, Infernal Robotics, Lazor, those are all optional. You'd simply have some branches in the tech tree that have nothing in them. But then again, you wouldn't want to research them in the first place.

MS19 has an updated tech tree, which I'll post upon release. You can see where the optional mods are located, as they have their own sub-branch so to speak.

THIS. i would love, having to send TAC life support care packages up to the crew, performing the experiment. then having to have a rover up there to go and grab it. this would make a purpose for actual space bases!

Also, i'm sure you've seen this, but just to be sure i wanna say that AIES has been updated to 0.23! :)

Definitely. Although perhaps later missions, like establish lunar base, or orbital space station, and have people 'live' there for an extended period of time. I'm leanign towards ECLSS because power consumption is pretty cool thing to keep track of as well!

Ferram also suggested something pretty cool, which would be a way to have a 2 part impact probe mission. Meaning you'd have 1 part that would remain in orbit, or landed near the target crash site. And it would gain science by being able to measure the readings from the impact of the disposable probe. That's a bit of a tall order, since i'm not that good with KSP APIs as to know how to detect ship, and tie that into the way experiments work. But it's something to look forward to.

Definitely. Although perhaps later missions, like establish lunar base, or orbital space station, and have people 'live' there for an extended period of time. I'm leanign towards ECLSS because power consumption is pretty cool thing to keep track of as well!

Maybe even making a system, which gave different science amounts, according to your location. IE lunar, orbital planetary etc. just like using the science jr. in orbit, on mun, on jool etc. also, i think it would be cool if it required several heavy parts, forcing people to build big bases, instead of just a science part with a cockpit.

Maybe even making a system, which gave different science amounts, according to your location. IE lunar, orbital planetary etc. just like using the science jr. in orbit, on mun, on jool etc. also, i think it would be cool if it required several heavy parts, forcing people to build big bases, instead of just a science part with a cockpit.

The payout by location is sort of already in place with stock functionality.

As for 'heavy parts' using a cloned version of the new lab module, it could be already a much 'heavier' requirement. And when playing with RSS it's already that much harder to get heavy stuff in orbit. :) An intrinsincly when using either TAC or ECLSS, anything that involves long term manned operations will require a decent amount of supplies, thus increase weight requirement, or a subsequent resupply mission.

The payout by location is sort of already in place with stock functionality.

As for 'heavy parts' using a cloned version of the new lab module, it could be already a much 'heavier' requirement. And when playing with RSS it's already that much harder to get heavy stuff in orbit. :) An intrinsincly when using either TAC or ECLSS, anything that involves long term manned operations will require a decent amount of supplies, thus increase weight requirement, or a subsequent resupply mission.

Ah that sounds awesome! really looking forward to it! :) how is your progress with updating the pack? (sorry, couldn't stop myself)

Is this functioning as expected?

When I load the tree RPL_V18 I only have 3 parts unlocked. All 3 of them are heatshields. Makes it kind of hard to , um, make rockets with nothing but heatshields.

Did you check the following nodes, you should have a free one with the 'actual' starting parts. Those heatshields were probably added post V18b, so they default to the start node.

The reason I do that is that when you reshuffle parts to a already unlocked node, IE, the start node, you have to then manually 'buy them' one by one. Which is extremely annoying. so I moved them to a free node, so you don't have to do that. :)

I'll have that all fixed for MS19.

Did you check the following nodes, you should have a free one with the 'actual' starting parts. Those heatshields were probably added post V18b, so they default to the start node.

The reason I do that is that when you reshuffle parts to a already unlocked node, IE, the start node, you have to then manually 'buy them' one by one. Which is extremely annoying. so I moved them to a free node, so you don't have to do that. :)

I'll have that all fixed for MS19.

That could be it. Honestly I was rushing to get all the realism stuff installed on my lunch hour so I may just have not seen the obvious. I'll check again tonight.

Thanks!

Do you know if this is compatible with

Active texture management ?

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/59005-0-23-Release-2-7-Active-Memory-Reduction-Mod

this would be really helpful i think, with all of the mods required for this realism madness! ;)

Everyone who likes a lot of mods should use that Memory Reduction mod! It's so good! Increases my loading time just a tad, but saves me a LOT of memory. :)

I have a problem I have downloaded and install everything right, all the extras, as well as mission controller. Now when I make a rocket/probe it shows the thrust and stuff but it just stays in one place, doesn't move at all like it is glued to the launch pad

Also It seems that my thrusts aren't able to start at all, not sure where I get the liquid oxygen to light it either, been through ALL the parts and unable to find

Edited by Elokaynu

I just updated to the latest release of Realism Overhaul which switched to using RealEngines by default, and it doesn't seem to mesh properly with this tech tree anymore. I'm not sure which mod to post this in so i'm posting it in both.

Basically i'm very early in the tech tree, T1 engines. Yet now all the engines available to me are super huge, like 2m-3m+ and tech level 6/7.

I have a problem I have downloaded and install everything right, all the extras, as well as mission controller. Now when I make a rocket/probe it shows the thrust and stuff but it just stays in one place, doesn't move at all like it is glued to the launch pad

Also It seems that my thrusts aren't able to start at all, not sure where I get the liquid oxygen to light it either, been through ALL the parts and unable to find

Howdy Elokaynu,

From what I can uderstand of what you are experiencing it could be 2 things.

#1 - When you say you still see the "throttle", do you mean the engine exhaust? If so, then are you sure you have enough TWR to take off?

#2 - When using real fuels (MFT) you have to make sure that you set the attached fuel tanks to the correct fuel mixture. You do so by using the Action Groups tab, and select Engine or Tank (To set their fuel mixtures).

Quite the big step to jump into RPL if you don't have previous knowledge of RSS, MFT or Stretchy Tanks. :)

I just updated to the latest release of Realism Overhaul which switched to using RealEngines by default, and it doesn't seem to mesh properly with this tech tree anymore. I'm not sure which mod to post this in so i'm posting it in both.

Basically i'm very early in the tech tree, T1 engines. Yet now all the engines available to me are super huge, like 2m-3m+ and tech level 6/7.

Hey Agathorn,

Not sure if Nathan tweaked the engine tech levels, but 'when i tested MS18' I made sure that each minimum tech level matches the relevant tech node for both Liquid Engines and SRBs.

Engine size does not progress in a linear fashion BTW, IE, you won't only have 1M engines at start. I think there is even a 3M engine with Tech level 0. (Not 100% sure, not in front of my PC right now)

Those should be back to normal with MS19, and in any case, we'll probably have integrated tech levels, so you can't set the engine's tech level higher than what you've researched.

Howdy Elokaynu,

From what I can uderstand of what you are experiencing it could be 2 things.

#1 - When you say you still see the "throttle", do you mean the engine exhaust? If so, then are you sure you have enough TWR to take off?

#2 - When using real fuels (MFT) you have to make sure that you set the attached fuel tanks to the correct fuel mixture. You do so by using the Action Groups tab, and select Engine or Tank (To set their fuel mixtures).

Quite the big step to jump into RPL if you don't have previous knowledge of RSS, MFT or Stretchy Tanks. :)

Should I take out MFT from the the mod pack and get feal fuels from the site and mft separate? or leave how it is? I've tried to see the action groups tab and clicked an engine or a tank, only thing that poped on an engine was its options ie activate deactive such and such, and a tank nothing is clickable

Should I take out MFT from the the mod pack and get feal fuels from the site and mft separate? or leave how it is? I've tried to see the action groups tab and clicked an engine or a tank, only thing that poped on an engine was its options ie activate deactive such and such, and a tank nothing is clickable

Hmm,

Try with one or the other. Real Fuels is the continuation of MFT (RFRM). You should definitely not have both at the same time!

It's a bit confusing now since most of these mods have been updated since, and the RPL pack still needs to get updated to MS19 to be 'officially' 0.23 ready.

It should work with at least one of them.

Hmm,

Try with one or the other. Real Fuels is the continuation of MFT (RFRM). You should definitely not have both at the same time!

It's a bit confusing now since most of these mods have been updated since, and the RPL pack still needs to get updated to MS19 to be 'officially' 0.23 ready.

It should work with at least one of them.

I TOOK OUT MFT and went with just Real Fuels and was able to see them on the action groups. might have to restart but im not able to scroll down on the options.

Also I have took off real fuels etc to play and what not, got everything to work but unable to life off, the probe/ship just stays like its glued but rockets are going off

Edited by Elokaynu

Hey Agathorn,

Not sure if Nathan tweaked the engine tech levels, but 'when i tested MS18' I made sure that each minimum tech level matches the relevant tech node for both Liquid Engines and SRBs.

Engine size does not progress in a linear fashion BTW, IE, you won't only have 1M engines at start. I think there is even a 3M engine with Tech level 0. (Not 100% sure, not in front of my PC right now)

Those should be back to normal with MS19, and in any case, we'll probably have integrated tech levels, so you can't set the engine's tech level higher than what you've researched.

It seems like the RealEngines just aren't compatible wiht your tech tree, so i've gone back to using the RftS engines instead.

Hey

I have your RemoteTech settings patch installed, but every time I try to get a probe into high orbit, once I pass about 1500km, I lose connection and my probe dies. This is preventing me from getting more science to continue progression.

Hey

I have your RemoteTech settings patch installed, but every time I try to get a probe into high orbit, once I pass about 1500km, I lose connection and my probe dies. This is preventing me from getting more science to continue progression.

What do you mean your probe dies? Just that you no longer have connection with MC? How high of an angle are you in when you reach that height? Are you using antennas with enough range?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.