[1.0][Release-5-0][April 28, 2015] Active Texture Management - Save RAM!

rbray89

This is now basically a requirement to use content mods such as KSPI. For example:

most KSPI players have FAR and B9. You kind of need them.

Firespitter and toolbar are required.

Procedural wings in almost a necessity regardless of what other mods.

And that is 3.6 Gigabytes before even entering the spaceplane hanger.

FAR, Firespitter plugin, Toolbar and procedural wings all have few or no parts, and more importantly, few textures. They don't contribute much to the 3.6GB.

Parts packs, like B9 and KW, are what fill up memory. I high recommend Lack's Stock Extension which provides stockalike alternatives to B9 and KW using Squad's own textures. The result is lots of useful parts, less of a need for B9 or KW, and very little extra memory usage.

I also thought it detects ATM and doesn't attempt compression if it's present?

It should do and the latest version has a mod to it's code to make sure it is over written by other programmes. You can still send me your config so I can look to see if this can be done - what version of texture replacer are you using? I have an idea where it maybe going wrong. It would be handy if this worked as my future plans for custom suits is more texture additions :P

I decided to uninstall. And there was little perceptible improvement in load times for me. If anything ATM seemed to take longer. And the freeze was highly annoying for alt tabbing. I don't have super fast hard drive or computer in general.

I'm running KSPI and some other utility mods.

I decided to uninstall. And there was little perceptible improvement in load times for me. If anything ATM seemed to take longer. And the freeze was highly annoying for alt tabbing. I don't have super fast hard drive or computer in general.

I'm running KSPI and some other utility mods.

ATM deals with quite the opposite. It does increase loads times, at the benefit of using less memory and so avoiding out-of-memory errors.

After caching the smaller textures, the load time should be shorter in general, yes?

Yes. The first time you run ATM the programme creates a cache of all the re-sized textures. Loading times are significantly shorter after that. I agree the alt tab bit is annoying but personally I think it is worth the wait.

Yes. The first time you run ATM the programme creates a cache of all the re-sized textures. Loading times are significantly shorter after that. I agree the alt tab bit is annoying but personally I think it is worth the wait.

Shorter than the initial load where it actually compresses stuff, but not shorter than the stock loading?

Shorter than the initial load where it actually compresses stuff, but not shorter than the stock loading?
The stock game with no add ons is quick to load yes. A modified game with lots of add ons will take longer. A modified game with the latest version of ATM should load faster and when I compared my personal install from v2.15 aggressive to v3.1 after the initial load my times are much reduced, at a guess I'd say halved. Takes less than a minute now running many, many mods.

Best thing I ever did was get an SSD. They aren't that expensive for the effect they have performance wise over traditional HDD.

Just curious, is there a way to make the game generate a random head for a kerbal but a specific suit? I've attempted putting both DEFAULT and nothing after the equals sign (followed by the suit folder), but it just generates the stock kerbal head every time.

I think you are looking for texture replacer.

I'm having a serious problem with your mod. As mush as I would love to lower my RAM - I am using basic - each time I load up KSP it crashes. Not to the desktop, incidentally, the screen freezes and will no longer load. I over wrote the GameData folder with the basic format of your mod, but nothing. Any help would be appreciative.

I'm having a serious problem with your mod. As mush as I would love to lower my RAM - I am using basic - each time I load up KSP it crashes. Not to the desktop, incidentally, the screen freezes and will no longer load. I over wrote the GameData folder with the basic format of your mod, but nothing. Any help would be appreciative.

You need to read the first post.

Delete BoulderCo in GameData before installing. (may have to re-install EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements)

KSP WILL LOOK LIKE IT FROZE (WHITE SCREEN) SIMPLY WAIT, AND IT WILL EVENTUALLY LOAD.

Think rbray covered that :P

I've downloaded RSS today and I tried to make a config for the Earth textures. I know the config I'm writing is good but ATM isn't creating a folder in the cache. BUT the game does appear to use less RAM when I use the config and I can't see an obvious exception error in the log file. Is it because RSS is like TextureReplacer and alters the way textures are loaded?

Edited by Green Skull

I stuck the RSS textures in PluginData precisely so that they wouldn't be touched by ATM. :)

No config is necessary; they are imported (and compressed) as appropriate.

(KSP autoloads all textures in the GameData folder *unless* they are under a PluginData folder. ATM touches only textures in GameDatabase [i.e. those textures loaded from GameData.])

I stuck the RSS textures in PluginData precisely so that they wouldn't be touched by ATM. :)

No config is necessary; they are imported (and compressed) as appropriate.

(KSP autoloads all textures in the GameData folder *unless* they are under a PluginData folder. ATM touches only textures in GameDatabase [i.e. those textures loaded from GameData.])

Thanks for the explanation and no worries I will leave it alone then :)

It should do and the latest version has a mod to it's code to make sure it is over written by other programmes. You can still send me your config so I can look to see if this can be done - what version of texture replacer are you using? I have an idea where it maybe going wrong. It would be handy if this worked as my future plans for custom suits is more texture additions :P

I'm pretty busy at work this week but I'll try to find time to throw a test environment back together. Last time I tried, ATM was making the textures in EnvMaps not readable even though I'd explicitly told it not to. Not sure if this was an error on my part or if something else was going on :/

Okay quick question. Using the aggressive reduction my IVA views look like s*^t. They are blurry and so fuzzy. Is that how it's suppose to be? Did I do something wrong? Really hope it's some kind of mistake!

Okay quick question. Using the aggressive reduction my IVA views look like s*^t. They are blurry and so fuzzy. Is that how it's suppose to be? Did I do something wrong? Really hope it's some kind of mistake!

What are your graphics settings at? full or half-res textures?

My latest batch of configs. Includes tool bar fixes previously posted and new configs for Denny's OLDD, Romfarer's Lazor system,KER and Firespitters aircraft. ActiveTextureManagerConfigs

To install simply remove old file and replace with new version from download. File location is here :

KSP_win\GameData\BoulderCo\ActiveTextureManagerConfigs

Edited by Green Skull

It only looks like melted chocolate below Full-Res

My latest batch of configs. Includes tool bar fixes previously posted and new configs for Denny's OLDD, Romfarer's Lazor system,KER and Firespitters aircraft. ActiveTextureManagerConfigs

To install simply remove old file and replace with new version from download. File location is here :

KSP_win\GameData\BoulderCo\ActiveTextureManagerConfigs

Awesome, thanks.

I know I mentioned this issue a long while back, but I find it odd that the ATM mod compresses the Toolbar icons in the first place. Even with basic compression, they come out looking like a blurry, pixelated mess. I always ended up removing the config for Toolbar because of this. I can't imagine the RAM savings for it are that great.