[1.0][Release-5-0][April 28, 2015] Active Texture Management - Save RAM!

rbray89

the volumetric clouds are a bit too much for my mem but the rest of this Especially the texture reduction portion is freakin amazing man ..... WELL done I have had NO problems and even added a few other mods not listed to the list ... NOT a Hitch ... WELL DONE.

when i remove this mod my kerbal wont start it crashes after loading all plugins/mods before i see the main menu ...any ideas?

You uninstalled a mod which saves you RAM. I'm betting you're now running out of RAM.

I'm trying to run ATM with KOSMOS, which works fine until I attempt to make a KOSMOS.cfg (so I can specify normals, which aren't all _NRM terminated), then it crashes

Even a blank/default enabled=true config with nothing else results in a crash

What parts of the crash report would be helpful (or other info)?

Is there a solution for the lighting problem of several parts? This problem got mentioned a few times in this thread, but I wasn't able to find an answer to it.

For a lot of parts the lighting gets messed up by ATM, mostly the textures get really dark and are nearly undistinguishable. In some cases it only affects a few areas of a part with harsh borders to other areas of the same part in which the lighting seems to be (nearly) correct. In other cases to complete part texture is affected. This also applies to the preview of the parts in the catalogue in the VAB and SPH.

I made a few configs and fixed some of the included ones. Some I found were creating mipmaps for GUI textures. Kinda bleck. And since github is a no-go it seems, I can't exactly do pull requests. So here's a zip. Two new ones for DPAI and notes plugins.

Fixed:

Kethane.cfg

Nereid.cfg

RCSBuildAid.cfg

ThunderAerospace.cfg

Created:

NavyFish.cfg

notes.cfg

Is there a solution for the lighting problem of several parts? This problem got mentioned a few times in this thread, but I wasn't able to find an answer to it.

For a lot of parts the lighting gets messed up by ATM, mostly the textures get really dark and are nearly undistinguishable. In some cases it only affects a few areas of a part with harsh borders to other areas of the same part in which the lighting seems to be (nearly) correct. In other cases to complete part texture is affected. This also applies to the preview of the parts in the catalogue in the VAB and SPH.

I'm guessing here, but possibly it's ATM mishandling normal maps for those parts. Have you checked that those parts have their normal maps declared in a configuration file? And if not, try making one.

What parts of the crash report would be helpful (or other info)?

What would be useful beyond the output_log is also copypasta of the config file you're creating. It's possible you made an error.

Edited by phoenix_ca

Very simple config to prevent the toolbar texture from getting squished by ATM:

AntennaRange.cfg

ACTIVE_TEXTURE_MANAGER_CONFIG
{
folder = AntennaRange
enabled = true

OVERRIDES
{
AntennaRange/Textures/toolbarIcon
{
compress = true
mipmaps = false
scale = 1
max_size = 0
make_not_readable = true
}
}
}

Would be nice to see that packaged with the mod, until such a config gets packaged with ATM itself. Go poke them about it.

@rbray89, consider yourself poked. :). Thanks for the great mods!

rbray89, I love you man!!! With your mod I just passed the 2 gigabyte mark in the size of my GameData folder.

You get my vote for the best KSP modder of the year. And there are so many incredibly awesome modders out there already. But because of you I can now use practically all their mods at the same time. Keep up the great work!

XOXOXO

PS - How big are the GameData folders of you other Kerbalnauts? I wanted to get an idea of what can be done with this amazing mod.

Edited by Probus

If you want an idea of what can be done, then asking what size GameData is won't tell you anything, since RAM use isn't related to disk usage: if you only have PNGs in GameData, RAM usage will be far more than the size of the folder (since PNGs are very, very compressed) whereas if you have only MBMs in GameDta, RAM usage will be 1/4 to 1/6th the size of the folder since MBMs are uncompressed.

Ah, I didn't know that Nathan. I thought it loaded the entire gamedata folder into memory, compressed. Nice to know the real story.

Seem to have a problem. I have the aggressive version installed but it isn't compressing the clouds from Environmental Visual Enhancements. I have no extra mods, just a fresh install of KSP. No idea why this is happening as it is compressing all other textures. Pls help!

Edit: Just checked out the config file for BoulderCo. which read:

{

folder = BoulderCo

enabled = true

OVERRIDES

{

BoulderCo/Clouds/.*

{

compress = true

mipmaps = true

scale = 1

max_size = 0

make_not_readable = false

}

}

}

so I changed it to this:

{

folder = BoulderCo

enabled = true

}

and it compressed the clouds! Its a miracle. I didn't tamper with the config file before so I have no idea why it was like this but I wonder if you should check it out. Great mod. Now I can get KSPRC to work!

Edited by Darknighthb

Seem to have a problem. I have the aggressive version installed but it isn't compressing the clouds from Environmental Visual Enhancements. I have no extra mods, just a fresh install of KSP. No idea why this is happening as it is compressing all other textures. Pls help!

Edit: Just checked out the config file for BoulderCo. which read:

{

folder = BoulderCo

enabled = true

OVERRIDES

{

BoulderCo/Clouds/.*

{

compress = true

mipmaps = true

scale = 1

max_size = 0

make_not_readable = false

}

}

}

so I changed it to this:

{

folder = BoulderCo

enabled = true

}

and it compressed the clouds! Its a miracle. I didn't tamper with the config file before so I have no idea why it was like this but I wonder if you should check it out. Great mod. Now I can get KSPRC to work!

If you do this, volume clouds won't work.

remove the "scale" and max_size line in the original config.

Ah, I didn't know that Nathan. I thought it loaded the entire gamedata folder into memory, compressed. Nice to know the real story.

It does, actually (well, by default it doesn't compress TGAs and doesn't compress do-not-compress-flagged MBMs); it's just that what it compresses the files to is a fixed-size lossy compression (DXT1 for 24bit/RGB files, DXT5 for 32bit/RGBA files) so that will be worse than many PNGs and better than all MBMs.

Cheers!

Ok, i installed this mod, nothing exploded so its a good starting sign. But i don't know if it's working. I see that texturecache folder inside ATM folder has grown and now has 20MB, but that's quite low for a texture reduction pack?

Sometimes i have occasional memory crashes, and i wonder why. Here's my mod list:

B9 aerospace

Connected living space

Deadly reentry

distant object

kerbal engineer redux

enhanced navball

environmentalvisualenhancements

ferram aerospace research

safechute

KAS

procedural fairings

kerbal joint reinforcement

kethane

kw rocketry

infernal robotics

docking port alignment

tac life support

tac fuel balancer

rcs build aid

real chute

remote tech 2

SCANSat

Ship Manifest

kerbal alarm clock

Vanguard plugin with EVA parachutes

Interstellar Mod

Astronomer Visual Pack V3

And my memory tops at 3,1GB when i'm just only looking at Kerbal Space Center. When i'm ingame, almost at every launch, my mission timer go yellow.Shouldn't i get better memory performance?Forgot to mention i'm using basic version.

What would be useful beyond the output_log is also copypasta of the config file you're creating. It's possible you made an error.

As I said, even a blank one causes a crash, so a blank starter config KOSMOS.cfg with nothing

{
folder = KOSMOS
enabled = true
}

Makes KSP crash during load, so I haven't gotten to make a more detailed one yet since I need it to load first so I can sort out the un_NRM'd normals

It could be because of something in the dev build I'm using though

I'll put it back in after worked today so I can get an output_log to post up though

Did you sneak onto my computer and grab one of my screenies? Are you using Green Skull's ATM configs? I had a similar issue awhile back after I switched to Green Skull's ATM configs, and was able to resolve it with his help. Discussion of my problems might be further back in this thread, or in the thread for the ALCOR pod...I don't remember which... I did even include screenies that look remarkably similar to yours, but have since deleted them off Imgur as the problem was resolved.