[1.0][Release-5-0][April 28, 2015] Active Texture Management - Save RAM!

rbray89

Not sure who this was aimed at, but I'm only chasing after my memory issue since Sarbian reported such a lower memory usage with an empty GameData folder. I get that .25 will have a larger memory footprint overall but the large difference in usage at the base level is a bit strange.

Are you running in OpenGL mode? My testing last night showed a huge memory increase when running ATM in OpenGL mode. I was able to work around the problem by setting Texture Replacer to always unload textures (by default it disables unloading if ATM is present).

On my phone, so I don't have a link handy, but I had some preliminary good results with LoD, a mod for DirectX that dynamically loads and unloads hi res textures. I need to build up a new install. I played around with the DDS loader mod, and I think I mangled a texture or three...

Are you running in OpenGL mode? My testing last night showed a huge memory increase when running ATM in OpenGL mode. I was able to work around the problem by setting Texture Replacer to always unload textures (by default it disables unloading if ATM is present).

The things is that my testing show the opposite. So assuming we both test the same way there must be different like the drivers, GPU model or GPU memory.

Here I see you have a GPU with 2GB of memory, while I have one with 4GB and that leave more memory for the texture.

The sysinternals process explorer can show you how much of your GPU memory is used ( other the process list there are a bunch of graph, click on them and select the GPU tab).

Edit : if you enable the GPU memory display in the process list you'll see that some process can use a lot of GPU memory too, and it means less memory available for KSP in OpenGL (a Chrome tab with Google Map in WebGL is a huge user for obvious reason). Test with only KSP active.

Edited by sarbian

Running with the current version?

Yes, only found this for the first time the other day post 0.25 update. Can't say if this would run on my setup on 0.24. All the mods bar Science Alert is up to 0.25 compat.

If I get time this weekend, I might install this on a Vanilla install, then add mods until it breaks.

Almost definitely so. I can't even run KSP using OpenGL. It just hangs at start.

The last time I tried OpenGL mode was back on .23 and it failed to run on the exact same hardware I've got now. With .25 it decided to work beautifully. (MSI GE70 laptop running some NVidia GPU who's model number escapes me at the moment. 760M? Something like that.)

So, I'm running into a memory leak between this and Texture Replacer. With one or the other it works fine, but with both of them together my memory usage climbs slowly until crash. After initial load I have a memory usage of about 2.5-2.8 GB, while it's loading the main menu (After the progress bar but before the Mun scene) memory jumps to about 3 GB, then during game play it will climb slowly but steadily until finally the game crashes.

Ouput_log.txt

I'm having two issues which I believe are being caused by ATM. Just wanted to check and see if these were common problems, and perhaps if there are common solutions. :)

First is the quality of toolbar button icons. Images on both the stock toolbar and blizzy's toolbar appear quite blurry, with the exception of stock buttons. I'm guessing ATM is compressing those images, resulting in the fuzziness. I'd really like a way around that if possible. Is there a way to make sure certain files get excluded?

Second is that on every flag selection dialog, I see two images of every flag. It's as if there are duplicate copies of every flag in my game folder. But I've checked and double checked. There's definitely only one copy of the file. Wondering if ATM is making a compressed version and the game is loading that in addition to the original? Is there any way to stop these duplicates from showing up?

Thanks, and sorry if this has been asked a thousand times.

I'm having two issues which I believe are being caused by ATM. Just wanted to check and see if these were common problems, and perhaps if there are common solutions. :)

First is the quality of toolbar button icons. Images on both the stock toolbar and blizzy's toolbar appear quite blurry, with the exception of stock buttons. I'm guessing ATM is compressing those images, resulting in the fuzziness. I'd really like a way around that if possible. Is there a way to make sure certain files get excluded?

Second is that on every flag selection dialog, I see two images of every flag. It's as if there are duplicate copies of every flag in my game folder. But I've checked and double checked. There's definitely only one copy of the file. Wondering if ATM is making a compressed version and the game is loading that in addition to the original? Is there any way to stop these duplicates from showing up?

Thanks, and sorry if this has been asked a thousand times.

Update to the latest version. Both of these issues have been fixed.

Since there is no 64 bit executable for mac you should use x86.

I thought so, just had to heck. This mod is a lifesaver. Running USI mods ( almost all of em), Near Future Package, parts of B9, Interstellar, Extraplanetary Launchpads, RemoteTech, FAR, and other UI and hlep mods really taxes the system.

Update to the latest version. Both of these issues have been fixed.

Ah! Thought I had. Apparently I last updated only a few hours before the most recent version was released. Thanks!

How do I know which version to use? x64 or 86? I use a 2011 Mac Book Pro.

Asheft is right- Mac supports x86 only right now. But in case that changes down the road... Generally it depends which version of KSP you run. Many mods don't support x64 right now due to bugs. Hopefully that won't be the case by the time they get x64 out to Mac.

wow! After I finally used the right version, my KSP is down to 2.22 gb RAM use in the VAB when before ( using x64 basic my mistake) was at 2.8, 2.9. Very big difference. Also, even though I am running the latest version, re downloaded a hour ago, toolbar icons are still blurred. Is this related to the half res settings I play on? ( find low graphics settings helps alot too RAM wise)

wow! After I finally used the right version, my KSP is down to 2.22 gb RAM use in the VAB when before ( using x64 basic my mistake) was at 2.8, 2.9. Very big difference. Also, even though I am running the latest version, re downloaded a hour ago, toolbar icons are still blurred. Is this related to the half res settings I play on? ( find low graphics settings helps alot too RAM wise)

When I was trying to unblur my toolbar icons last night I noticed that the move from full res to half res made it worse. So I'm betting you that might be your problem. If you're down to 2.22 GB then why are you worried about RAM? Try going up to full res and see how it plays.

When I was trying to unblur my toolbar icons last night I noticed that the move from full res to half res made it worse. So I'm betting you that might be your problem. If you're down to 2.22 GB then why are you worried about RAM? Try going up to full res and see how it plays.

ill give it a try and see what happens.

Hey, I have an issue. I've installed the normal version (non-basic) the normal way by extracting into Kerbal Space Program (merging GameData folders). Nothing happened. After the load was over, the console outputted 'Memory saved: 0kb.' I was at least expecting b9 to compress. What happened?

Hey, I have an issue. I've installed the normal version (non-basic) the normal way by extracting into Kerbal Space Program (merging GameData folders). Nothing happened. After the load was over, the console outputted 'Memory saved: 0kb.' I was at least expecting b9 to compress. What happened?

Memory reporting is not correct, but it does work.

My mac shows a reduced memory footprint, which is great, but my ground textures are stretched out. I uninstalled ATM, and they went back to normal (the Mun is a great example, all the surface has the craters smeared out looking like brush strokes, take ATM away, and they are little craterlets, etc). I installed the x86 version, and again, it showed a memory reduction (2.18 or so vs just shy of 3 GB).

Did I do something wrong?

My mac shows a reduced memory footprint, which is great, but my ground textures are stretched out. I uninstalled ATM, and they went back to normal (the Mun is a great example, all the surface has the craters smeared out looking like brush strokes, take ATM away, and they are little craterlets, etc). I installed the x86 version, and again, it showed a memory reduction (2.18 or so vs just shy of 3 GB).

Did I do something wrong?

The stretched ground textures are a side effect of the new terrain rendering in 0.25. It looks beautiful from above, but once you get close up they're all smeared out. Additionally, it looks like they just applied yellow colored grass textures to the deserts. Hopefully this will be corrected in 0.90, or at least by 1.0.