[1.0][Release-5-0][April 28, 2015] Active Texture Management - Save RAM!

rbray89

How do I diagnose an out-of-memory crash? My game seems to get up to about 3.7GB or so when I watch Windows Task Manager on the second screen. I can do about one mission before this mod-heavy install goes tits up.

KSP.exe caused an Access Violation (0xc0000005)
in module KSP.exe at 0023:003adbff.

Error occurred at 2015-05-27_014602.
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\KSP.exe, run by oversoul.
41% memory in use.
0 MB physical memory [0 MB free].
0 MB paging file [0 MB free].
0 MB user address space [106 MB free].
Write to location 00000008 caused an access violation.

How do I diagnose an out-of-memory crash? My game seems to get up to about 3.7GB or so when I watch Windows Task Manager on the second screen. I can do about one mission before this mod-heavy install goes tits up.

KSP.exe caused an Access Violation (0xc0000005)
in module KSP.exe at 0023:003adbff.

Error occurred at 2015-05-27_014602.
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Kerbal Space Program\KSP.exe, run by oversoul.
41% memory in use.
0 MB physical memory [0 MB free].
0 MB paging file [0 MB free].
0 MB user address space [106 MB free].
Write to location 00000008 caused an access violation.

3.7 Gb usage is the limit for KSP 32-bit, so even without a log we can tell you that it ran out of memory. Try reducing the number of mods or texture resolution to half res.

thanks.

I was trying to get one kerbal out of my low Kerbin space station before I deleted it so I can get rid of some mods.

Thanks everyone who posted advice in here. I was able to cut the memory footprint by over 50% by removing the KSOS mod, running -force-opengl, and setting the option for half-res.

Edited by oversoul

Whats the point of having the <enabled = true/false> in every config file if it does literally nothing? Regardless of which setting you use, ATM still converts, caches, and uses compressed/reformatted versions of the textures from the specified folder, which is somewhat aggravating when you're trying to get a specific mod excluded from being touched at all.

Whats the point of having the <enabled = true/false> in every config file if it does literally nothing? Regardless of which setting you use, ATM still converts, caches, and uses compressed/reformatted versions of the textures from the specified folder, which is somewhat aggravating when you're trying to get a specific mod excluded from being touched at all.

It enables/disables the config for that file. Because the KSP loaders are disabled, we still cache all textures and load their cache equivalent.

Doesn't seem to be working for me. RAM usage is identical or even higher after this mod is installed. Anybody have a clue what is wrong?

KSP 1.02

Windows 7 64-bit

8Gb RAM

output_log files before and after installing the mod would be attached if that was possible. Instead I have linked them on Dropbox:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/18741755/output_log%20before.txt

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/18741755/output_log%20after.txt

The exact same question was asked 10-15 posts ago and it was answered in a discussion. It is always a good idea to read the last few pages before asking questions.

I will link you to my answer: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/59005-1-0-Release-5-~post1938600

Basically ATM is compatible with 1.0, but does not compress DDS textures. Since 99% of the mods plus the stock game have switched to DDS textures, for now ATM does nothing. All it does it compress the flags for mods using DDS. If all the mods you are using are using DDS textures, you might as well see higher mem usage with ATM than without it.

I have it installed with a lot of mods and it doesn't reduce the memory footprint, but I am too lazy to uninstall it and my memory footprint is good for about an hour of playtime and about 10 scene changes before I have to restart the game.

Hm... i noticed that my ram usage increase if i use the basic or aggressive version. Downloading this mod caused my ksp to run out of memory. I know that it worked at earlier versions of ksp very well but at 1.02 not. Here is my ram usage:

With Mod (Basic):

unbenannt6akbt.png

Without Mod:

unbenanntpakx0.png

I've been playing KSP since near the beginning 2012, and I lurked here for quite a while for troubleshooting and collecting mods.

I have my heart set on all of the mods I've downloaded, and I simply can't bring myself to pick any of them over another, despite the lot of them making the game very nearly unplayable with constant crashes during liftoff and re-entry.

I made this account just to say a big thank you! to everyone who contributed to this mod. Before installing ATM I'd hit the main menu already at 3.3GB. Now I'm at 2GB on the dot.

ATM keeps eating my toolbar... :(

yPRazE6.png

Edit: Although it seems that on further reading, I shoudn't bother with ATM anyway, as it basically does next to nothing in its current state?

Edited by Jarin

Hm, I just tried the basic version and the game seems to be more stable. Didn't compare exact ram numbers tho.

Maybe it's only formating the non-DXT textures of mods?

active texture management makes my the game run slower i have the basic version. i also have only 3 gigs of ram. heres the https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bxs9CfbO1DHEREJCZzVuQWNZeGc&authuser=0 .

so i loaded it and the first time it loaded slower than normal by about 10 minutes after it loaded it i closed the game and bootted up another this time it loaded about the same as normal. but the game lagged a lot more near the ground when flying planes and rockets?

active texture management makes my the game run slower i have the basic version. i also have only 3 gigs of ram. heres the https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bxs9CfbO1DHEREJCZzVuQWNZeGc&authuser=0 .

so i loaded it and the first time it loaded slower than normal by about 10 minutes after it loaded it i closed the game and bootted up another this time it loaded about the same as normal. but the game lagged a lot more near the ground when flying planes and rockets?

The first is completely normal, because it's creating it's own version of the textures.

Hey guys I'm having a problem I think is being cause by ATM, I've finally gotten most of my mods working just fine but for some reason the Retro Future parts are all super shiny and have lost their right click functions (like changing the fuel tank types and that sort of thing). I've tried adding the RetroFuture.cfg file in the atm configs folder, I've also tried several different configs to eliminate the problem.

ACTIVE_TEXTURE_MANAGER_CONFIG{

folder = RetroFuture

enabled = false

This didn't work, so then I figured that it must be the normal maps, so I tried this:

ACTIVE_TEXTURE_MANAGER_CONFIG

{

folder = RetroFuture

enabled = true

NORMAL_LIST

{

texture = RetroFuture\Textures\ED125_NRM

texture = RetroFuture\Textures\ED250_NRM

texture = RetroFuture\Textures\latMainLG_NRM

texture = RetroFuture\Textures\med2mFuselage_NRM

texture = RetroFuture\Textures\med2mPod_NRM

texture = RetroFuture\Textures\rectCkPit_NRM

texture = RetroFuture\Textures\rectFuselage_NRM

texture = RetroFuture\Textures\rFpWing_NRM

texture = RetroFuture\Textures\UHB_props_NRM

}

}

But that also didn't do anything. I figured maybe it was an issue with the prodedural dynamics (since retro future is dependent on that mod) so I tried adding the proceduraldynamics.cfg and adding this to it:

{

folder = ProceduralDynamics

enabled = false

}

That still didn't work, so i tried leaving the procedural dynamics off and changed retrofuture to this:

{

folder = RetroFuture

enabled = false

NORMAL_LIST

{

texture = RetroFuture\Textures\ED125_NRM

texture = RetroFuture\Textures\ED250_NRM

texture = RetroFuture\Textures\latMainLG_NRM

texture = RetroFuture\Textures\med2mFuselage_NRM

texture = RetroFuture\Textures\med2mPod_NRM

texture = RetroFuture\Textures\rectCkPit_NRM

texture = RetroFuture\Textures\rectFuselage_NRM

texture = RetroFuture\Textures\rFpWing_NRM

texture = RetroFuture\Textures\UHB_props_NRM

}

}

but that had no effect either. I'm not very good with this stuff so if anyone could write me some exceptions for those mods that would be great. at least let me know what I'm doing wrong here. Thanks!

Edited by SalamanderAnder

I've been using ATM up through the .90 release(s), and it worked great. It doesn't help much in 1.02, however, as everyone has already talked about. What worked for me, using a GTX-660 Nvidia card, was the -force-d3d11 flag at the end of the shortcut's target. Dropped from 3.6GB RAM usage at startup (right at the x86 version of the game's limit, in Win7 x64, for reference) to 1.8GB! Chopped memory usage IN HALF, outright.

For other graphics cards, this may not be helpful. Forcing OpenGL may work instead.

Am I correct to assume that the game defaults to DX9? Is that why the DX11 flag works so well?

I've been using ATM up through the .90 release(s), and it worked great. It doesn't help much in 1.02, however, as everyone has already talked about. What worked for me, using a GTX-660 Nvidia card, was the -force-d3d11 flag at the end of the shortcut's target. Dropped from 3.6GB RAM usage at startup (right at the x86 version of the game's limit, in Win7 x64, for reference) to 1.8GB! Chopped memory usage IN HALF, outright.

For other graphics cards, this may not be helpful. Forcing OpenGL may work instead.

Am I correct to assume that the game defaults to DX9? Is that why the DX11 flag works so well?

The game does default to Dx9, but the flags work differently depending on each user's hardware.

OpenGL does not work bad, but it disables shadows, as well as gives quite lower framerates and higher PhysX calculation times for certain GPUs.

I've played around with the force-d3d11 and force-d3d11-no-singlethreaded flags and the memory usage is significantly lower when using just force-d3d11.

However force-d3d11 moves the fonts around a bit and spaces context menu entries by a pixel. At a certain point it started looking better to me than default.

What worked for me, using a GTX-660 Nvidia card, was the -force-d3d11 flag at the end of the shortcut's target. Dropped from 3.6GB RAM usage at startup (right at the x86 version of the game's limit, in Win7 x64, for reference) to 1.8GB! Chopped memory usage IN HALF, outright.

THANK YOU my game is now 1.6GB rather than 3.1GB PLENTY of space for Transitional memory leaks etc, at this point I could even add more mods if I wanted to... And I think I might give real solar system another try.

Anyone have a fix for this shiny texture issue? I don't know what happened, retro future worked fine before but after I migrated windows and reinstalled ksp on another hard drive I suddenly have this problem. I'm running .90 right now since it's the only one that supports ubioweld.

Untitled.png

On the runway

Untitled1.png

Moving the camera yields a different texture altogether, notice the lack of fuel

Untitled2.png

Edited by SalamanderAnder

Thank you so much. From 3.8gb and frequent crashes to 2.6gb and stable (so far).