[1.0][Release-5-0][April 28, 2015] Active Texture Management - Save RAM!

rbray89

Okay, when you load the game, load up your save and go to the space center. Open up the debug menu and in one of the pages it gives information about the plugin whether or not there was an error or how much it has compressed or not compressed etc. Could you say what you see in there?

I would if I could get the game to even start, right now it's just crashing right after loading because memory is going over 3.6GB. I was getting 2.4-2.7GB on load with 2.10.

Do you have a crash log?

After trying to load around 7 times I did finally manage to get past the main screen for a min before it crashed. I looked at the debug menu and there was nothing referencing this plugin on any of the pages or any errors that I could see at all with any other plugin.

If you are using the steam version, check file integrity or use the patcher to look for any errors and redownload KSP? Then just install the compression mod to see if everything is loading properly. Then go back into the Database section of the debug menu and tell us what it says.

There are so many [LOG 19:51:55.182] Skipped rendering frame because GfxDevice is in invalid state (device lost) logs in that menu it passes anything about this plugin before I can read it. I know this is because I minimized the game. I just looked directly in the KSP.log and got this:

[LOG 19:51:40.298] TextureCompressor: MipMaps: 1

[LOG 19:51:40.298] TextureCompressor: Size: 2048x2048

[LOG 19:51:40.298] TextureCompressor: Readable: True

[LOG 19:51:40.299] TextureCompressor: Memory Saved : -2109999248B

[LOG 19:51:40.299] TextureCompressor: Memory Saved : -2060546kB

[LOG 19:51:40.300] TextureCompressor: Memory Saved : -2012MB

Wow, That is weird, the size should not be that large. Go into your launcher and set the graphics settings to as low as physically possible. Start the game and print screen the errors in the debug (database) menu about the mod. It will show a bit more information I believe. Besides that, I think its best to wait for Rbray because this is out of my hands now. I have not ever seen that kind of an issue with this.

Sorry, the config files. Look through the stock config files and see if anything has changed to 2048x2048 somehow. But besides that, i am not sure what is wrong.

No there is nothing close to that res in any of the files 256 is the highest. Also my entire gamedata folder is 2GB so I'm not sure how it's managing to go over 3.6 on load, before even loading the save...

I just reinstalled it from scratch no mods. On load is runs 1.37Gb of ram and the gamedata folder is ~800gb. I do have all the graphic settings maxed. So it seems logical that with an extra 2gb of mods it would be over 3.6GB on load without this plugin.

I don't even know how... those are stock parts? Does that happen in the vab? Are you using aggressive or basic? Did you modify the configs at all?

Stock parts, it happens in the VAB and SPH, basic v11, didn't modify the configs.

Edit: I reinstalled KW Rocketry and Nova Punch, the problem went away for everything. The only change would have been missing parts being added back in.

Edited by Mct

Just a note, you'll always get more physical RAM use than you have GameData size. PNGs are much smaller on disk than in RAM, and you're also holding models, game information, mipmaps, etc. The only way to get below harddisk space is to either use this plugin and shrink the size (i.e. dimensions) of the textures or use the 1/2 textures in the KSP prefs. I've got my textures on half-size and I'm coming in at just around my GameData folder size. If you've got it on full size, you'll have more RAM usage.

With 2.11 aggressive I get a 1GB stock load as opposed to 1.37GB.

That is about what to expect. It only saves about that much on a stock install. Glad to hear it is working out better for you. Let me know if that changes though.

That is about what to expect. It only saves about that much on a stock install. Glad to hear it is working out better for you. Let me know if that changes though.

I wasn't having a problem with it working properly in the first place, it was more of an issue with optimization. I would like to know the optimal settings to use for bobcat's packs, this includes soviet pack, american pack and the iss pack. His textures aren't all that big but of some reason they aren't compressing as well as others do like kw, nova and lionhead. If I use the basic verison the game crashes from out of memory errors. If I use aggressive bobcats textures look terrible(unusable). I can't find a good inbetween. The game either crashes from no memory or doesn't save as much as it should.

Read the last few pages please and see the issue he was having. Its very important.

I wasn't having a problem with it working properly in the first place, it was more of an issue with optimization. I would like to know the optimal settings to use for bobcat's packs, this includes soviet pack, american pack and the iss pack. His textures aren't all that big but of some reason they aren't compressing as well as others do like kw, nova and lionhead. If I use the basic verison the game crashes from out of memory errors. If I use aggressive bobcats textures look terrible(unusable). I can't find a good inbetween. The game either crashes from no memory or doesn't save as much as it should.

I'll go ahead and download all the mods and try them out. Once that's done, I'll add the configs.

1.35 gig with 2_12 version. Moar Mods! ;)

I should get my stuff backed up so I can format the hard drive to upgrade to Windows 7 x64, then I'll have more RAM available for KSP since I plugged in 6 gigs, of which XP can only use 3.25.