[1.0][Release-5-0][April 28, 2015] Active Texture Management - Save RAM!

rbray89

s

if it is a normal map, it should be put in the normal map list. Otherwise you are correct.

I probably worded my post wrong, after I add the file name to the leave readable, I still see the error in the log. Its with the FASA stuff if that makes any difference.

I've experienced the same problem you show with FASA (and also with a few Firespitter parts). It's like they're reflecting illumination in a rotated orientation somehow. That may have confused the issue more since I'm not sure of the right technical words to use but it's very obvious when you see it.

Do you have a link to the FASA pack so I can download it and try it out on my machine?

i'm running it a tick under the max and i'm not really noticing anything. But then again I just added universe replacer with 8k textures and a HD skybox. I removed a few of the moons that I don't visit often, but it's running great. Have kethane, KAS, B9, KW, and Tal's Spherical tanks installed as well.

Rbray, could we get a description of the differences between basic and aggressive just for nerd sake?

The only difference is in the config profile. Basic shrinks normal maps a bit, compresses all textures, and generates mip-maps for everything specified. Aggressive re-sizes ALL textures by a factor of 2, does not generate mipmaps for normal textures, and still compresses everything.

What effect on performance does generating and not generating mip mapping have?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mipmap

Basically, about 30% more memory is used, but the GPU will render (miniscully) faster and textures will look much better when at a distance. PNGs in KSP suffer from lack of mipmaps, which is why they tend to look crappy far away.

A few mods that are pretty big would be KAS, Kosmos, Soviet, BTSM (Not a big deal for the list but definitely something to consider in the future), Interstellar, Alternis, Firespitter, Infernal Robotics (or Magic Industries), and Kethane for sure,

Alright, I'm moving to a new config system where all the config files are relocated to GameData/BoulderCo/textureCompressorConfigs/ and each config will have to be named as the folder that is to be managed. This way, configurations can be passed around MUCH more easily for mods, and mod creators can create their own configs. I also fixed the issue mentioned with the readability for FASA parts. Seemed it was because KSP was loading it us unreadable.

Hmmm… I am getting no texture compression with 2.8 on either version. I have one or the other Installed with all of my extra folders added on in the Texture Compressor.cfg, but when I run, nothing is happening, in the log or otherwise

Hmmm… I am getting no texture compression with 2.8 on either version. I have one or the other Installed with all of my extra folders added on in the Texture Compressor.cfg, but when I run, nothing is happening, in the log or otherwise

I have no clue how. Delete the entire boulder folder and install the new one as well as the cloud plugin if you have it and restart ksp. Nothing has changed besides where the configs go and a tga file issue.

Go ahead and send me the ksp.log file

Found IT, disregard

Edit:

But MOAR info! It seems all of your pre-entered mods don't work at all. Log: http://pastebin.com/D5Pw1fC9

Hmmm... One of two things seems to be happening:

1) Another mod is trying to compress the textures already committed by my mod. This is what looks to be happening.

2) Another mod is committing the parts to memory, making them unreadable. This is possible, but unlikely as far as I am aware.

There should be a print at the end of the log once you get to the main screen that will summarize the memory saved. If this value is very small (<100MB) or not present at all something is likely wrong with my mod. Otherwise, I would suspect that another mod is compressing the textures.

EDIT:

Are you sure you got rid of all previous versions? If there were more than one copy, this could happen.

Edited by rbray89