[0.23.5] Realism Overhaul: ROv5.2 + Modlist for RSS 6/30/14

NathanKell

I actually had the same problem as AbeS, did a manual fix in the files, seems like you use a % instead of the @ ? At least replacing that helped me in some cases where rescaleFactor was in the original part.cfg. Also had to adjust some nodes, as they were ****ed up too on all the engines that didn't have rescaleFactor in the original .cfg

The % (meaning "set or create") is a valid syntax with the ModuleManager 1.5.5 present in the zip. The @ is just "set". Some parts do not specify rescaleFactor, and since I generate the data from a spreadsheet this relieves me from having to store a flag for each part. Make sure the ModuleManager included in the zip is in GameData.

For the nodes, may I ask you send over whatever you fixed? I'll include in the next release. Some first-stage engines I haven't bothered to check yet if the bottom node is correct, was planning to do a "node-check" pass later.

I think I found the problem: I didn't bother to copy over your Module_Manager.dll assuming it would be the same that I already had (1_5).

As for the nodes, I only did a rough correction of those nodes that were completely off. If you want I can refine it and send it over ;)

jrandom:

I have tweaked the electrolyser model and called it a fuel cell (changes include, but are not limited to, a condenser and coolant pipes, a single H2 -> cell -> H2 + H2O -> Condenser -> Centrifuge -> H2 loop, reversing all the arrows, painting it black, making the cells look like stock batteries).

I have also tweaked the electrolyser a bit (nicer pipe labeling, added a vane).

It will take me a while to figure something out for the Bosch and Sabatier reactors (not to mention the water recovery system), so you can already integrate this if you want.

Caveat: I do not use the same colour-coding as regex for O2, H2 and H2O. I sort of followed ISO 14726 for the pipes (http://www.maritimeprogress.com/downloads/M2-Pipe-Identification-Tape-to-ISO14726.pdf) and although this is probably bad practice, I used the same colour-coding for the tanks. It follows for instance that the O2 tanks in the electrolyser and fuel cell are gray-blue-gray (this happens to match the tanks in the Mk1 pod and on the launchpad), while the regex O2 tanks are yellow. Water is okay, it's blue.

Screenshots (The weird lighting is from a mechjeb module. I tried to see how it looked crammed with other things inside a service module.)

Javascript is disabled. View full album

The models and texture are available in the same place, under the same license.

Cool. I won't really get back to tweaking TACLS until MFS is updated and I'm flying in .23 again. Take your time, get it as exactly right as you want, and then we'll integrate the changes in one fell swoop! (That is, if you want me to stuff it into my Additional Configs package. If you want to separately maintain that, that works too.)

I think I found the problem: I didn't bother to copy over your Module_Manager.dll assuming it would be the same that I already had (1_5).

As for the nodes, I only did a rough correction of those nodes that were completely off. If you want I can refine it and send it over ;)

Good it was only that :)

Of course, will be very much appreciated - keep in mind though that the top node of some engines I intentionally moved a bit lower so that the flat top adapter would be hidden inside the fuel tank. Purely aesthetics, so that the engine could be fit to different tank diameters, or clustered, without looking weird.

Of course, will be very much appreciated - keep in mind though that the top node of some engines I intentionally moved a bit lower so that the flat top adapter would be hidden inside the fuel tank. Purely aesthetics, so that the engine could be fit to different tank diameters, or clustered, without looking weird.

Well, it seems like the 1_5_5 solved the wrong node placement, only thing I noticed is that on some engines, there is a tine little space sperating the tank and the top adapter, but that shouldn't be a problem ;)

Wow! This looks incredible. Just what I need for my KSP experience.

I'm still playing around with stock .23, I have this thread book marked. When it's ready I'm most certainly going to be using it until .24. Seriously, thank you for all the work you all are putting into it.

Missing Rescales: Just discovered that the B9 HL fuel tanks, tails, and fuselage parts did not get resized to match the enlarged HL cargo bays, HL adapter, and Mk5 cockpit.

Ha yeah, just discovered the same. We need to make additions to the MM resizing cfg to bring the rest of the parts in line.

Well drat, my StretchyTank broke -- I can't resize any tank that allows width-resizing. For the life of me, I can' remember what the cause was the last time this happened. Argh.

Nevermind -- I fired up a new sandbox science game and forgot to disable ST's tech.cfg. That'll learn me...

Edited by jrandom

Missing Rescales: Just discovered that the B9 HL fuel tanks, tails, and fuselage parts did not get resized to match the enlarged HL cargo bays, HL adapter, and Mk5 cockpit.

Yes, since from last release I have done the whole HL fuselage - will post soon together with a new version of RealEngines. I have resized it to match the Space Shuttle cargo bay width of ~5m. However I don't know for sure to what size to resize the other fuselages. Any suggestions?

Yes, since from last release I have done the whole HL fuselage - will post soon together with a new version of RealEngines. I have resized it to match the Space Shuttle cargo bay width of ~5m. However I don't know for sure to what size to resize the other fuselages. Any suggestions?

Hrm... maybe look at how much space a full-scale human being would need and then round to the nearest even-integer value (for fitting in with the 1/2/3/4-meter scaling scheme, etc..)?

Visual glitch: For this engine (based on the Skipper) that has a minimum thrust of... 10% I think -- the exhaust animation still plays after I've shut off the engine entirely. In the below screenshot, the engine is off and the vessel is not accelerating:

lOL58Dg.jpg

Sidenote: working with these new engines is tricky! I overshot my planned apoapsis by 1144 meters!

Visual glitch: For this engine (based on the Skipper) that has a minimum thrust of... 10% I think -- the exhaust animation still plays after I've shut off the engine entirely. In the below screenshot, the engine is off and the vessel is not accelerating:

http://i.imgur.com/lOL58Dg.jpg

Sidenote: working with these new engines is tricky! I overshot my planned apoapsis by 1144 meters!

I've encountered similar bug (FX still playing) during my development of EI plugin, but luckily i found the way to fix it.

by calling ModuleEngines.SetRunningGroupsActive(false) can it be shutdown forcibly.

But i guess we need an additional small plugin to fix that. Or perhaps i can integrate it in EI.

Right now in EI, this code is only called when flame-out/ignition failure occurs. I guess it can be changed to be run in every OnUpdate() and use something like this:

if (IsEngineActivated() == false)
engine.SetRunningGroupsActive(false);

here the "IsEngineActivated()" checks whether "Shutdown Engine" action button is visible or not to judge whether the engine is active or not. My rough implementation is like this:

public bool IsEngineActivated()
{
foreach (BaseEvent baseEvent in engine.Events)
{
//Debug.Log("Engine's event: " + baseEvent.name);
if (baseEvent.name.IndexOf("shutdown", StringComparison.CurrentCultureIgnoreCase) >= 0)
{
//Debug.Log("IsEngineActivated: " + baseEvent.name + " " + baseEvent.active.ToString() + " " + baseEvent.guiActive.ToString());
if (baseEvent.active == true)
return true;
}
}

return false;
}

"ModuleEngines.engineShutdown" is not reliable according to my experiments.

Edited by HoneyFox

Re: N2O/Amines. Ah, I see the problem. Representing N2O as a gas at STP means its density is miniscule, which makes the ratio too much for my spreadsheet. I'll fix.

Re: engine FX. As asmi said, it's a stock bug we both reported. For now, HoneyFox points the way to the fix (which, FYI, I thought I had in ModularEngines, but I must not be doing it quite right).

Re: RealEngines. Dragon01, I've said before in this very thread that they will be the standard engine selection. :)

I just don't have an updated one from SFJackBauer, hence why the prerelease has been using RftS Engines to show off the new RealFuelsv4 features.