[1.12] Extraplanetary Launchpads v6.99.3

taniwha

umm... i have a problem with the survey stakes... whenever i drop them, they explode....

Umm... don't drop them?

Seriously though, there are lots of KAS related items that explode when you drop them. They key is to literally not drop them.

Umm... don't drop them?

Seriously though, there are lots of KAS related items that explode when you drop them. They key is to literally not drop them.

Yeah, place them on the ground via the right click menu, if I remember correctly.

So I have just spent the last 3 days getting a orbital shipyard operational, on my first build I decide on some extra fuel and rocket part storage which consists of two MKS inflatable storage modules with a docking port at either end.

yR8tier.png

Ok so I get it built and are ready to undock it and find that it is over 800 meters away. I go and chase it down and find out that it is all messed up. Thinking on the lines of it could be the part I just built I change it so the root part is one of the docking ports but to no avail.

ZlZgI6R.png

57XUzvj.png

To rule out the MKS Spacedock I sent up a WildBlueIndustries multi module spacedock but has just the same problem.

Reminds me of a problem that I have seen but not experienced with science alert a while back. I don't have science alert installed but I did have science library. I deleted it so it is not that.

Okay, weird problem. Before I start trying to track it down, just wondering if anyone might have any insight.

I've got EPL 5.0.0 installed via CKAN, but all the parts (that I've checked) seem to be missing. No orbital dock, no launchpad. They're not in my Sandbox game, and they're not in the tech tree where they should be in my Science game.

I *do* have the EPL build resources box. And I do have all the files that I should have, and I can watch it load the orbital dock, the launchpad, etc. in the KSP.log. I don't see any EPL-related exceptions.

I installed the EPL→Regolith conversion (also via CKAN) and I can see all those parts, so I have the Orbital Rocket Workshop etc.

I realise there's plenty more diagnosis to be done here, but I'm just wondering if anyone has seen anything similar to this and has any idea what went wrong here. I've got a ridiculous number of mods installed (80+) so I'm obviously a bit hesitant to start ripping stuff out to figure out where the incompatibility might be.

Okay, weird problem. Before I start trying to track it down, just wondering if anyone might have any insight.

I've got EPL 5.0.0 installed via CKAN, but all the parts (that I've checked) seem to be missing. No orbital dock, no launchpad. They're not in my Sandbox game, and they're not in the tech tree where they should be in my Science game.

I *do* have the EPL build resources box. And I do have all the files that I should have, and I can watch it load the orbital dock, the launchpad, etc. in the KSP.log. I don't see any EPL-related exceptions.

I installed the EPL→Regolith conversion (also via CKAN) and I can see all those parts, so I have the Orbital Rocket Workshop etc.

I realise there's plenty more diagnosis to be done here, but I'm just wondering if anyone has seen anything similar to this and has any idea what went wrong here. I've got a ridiculous number of mods installed (80+) so I'm obviously a bit hesitant to start ripping stuff out to figure out where the incompatibility might be.

First question: Do you have MKS? Cause MKS hides the the EPL parts, since that mod has its own supply/resource chain (and custom parts too). And you can build rockets via MKS's new parts. If you dont have MKS, and that parts are still missing, try manually installing the mod, in case the CKAN install did something funky.

Edited by rabidninjawombat

The inflatables are very wobbly, and the joints break very easily. Has to do with being low mass parts.

If that is the case which it is not then other parts would be fine but they are not and do the same thing and it does not explain why everything is spawned hundreds of metres away from the dock.

First question: Do you have MKS? Cause MKS hides the the EPL parts, since that mod has its own supply/resource chain (and custom parts too). And you can build rockets via MKS's new parts. If you dont have MKS, and that parts are still missing, try manually installing the mod, in case the CKAN install did something funky.

Okay, yes, I have MKS, so that explains it, thanks.

So if I'm using MKS, I'm just supposed to use the EPL→Regolith parts (the rocket workshop etc.)? Or does MKS come with rocket-building parts now?

So if I'm using MKS, I'm just supposed to use the EPL→Regolith parts (the rocket workshop etc.)? Or does MKS come with rocket-building parts now?

MKS does indeed come with Rocket Building parts (you actually don't need the EPL-Regolith conversion if your using MKS :D (or kethane for that matter))

There is an orbital dock, and a nice land based dock. Just as a note if you've used EPL before, the production chain using MKS will be diffrent, its not just Ore--> Metal---> Rocketparts, a few more steps involved and a bit more in depth (which i like alot honestly!)

You can always hit F3 during flight to see if any part breaks. This will confirm if your issue is a weak joint or not.

I have a slight problem with the Launchpad 2, and the Runway. (also with Baha's Compact Launchpad). It seems anything built on these launchpads has some sort of explosion that destroys the root part of the build.

KSP 0.90, EPL 5.0

I am using EPL, Kethane, KAS, SCANsat, Kerbal Stats, Toolbar, Mechjeb2, Kerbal Foundries, and Baha's EPL extension(for the augers).

Reproduce: Launch Survey Pod with some rocketparts and metal to the Mun(also works on Duna, so far). Build smelter/auger/rocket workshop via survey stakes. Move survey stakes. Attach parts via KAS pipes. Build Launchpad2 or Runway(or B's Compact Launchpad) via survey stakes. Attach to build via KAS pipes. Remove survey stakes. Confirm Launchpad/Runway is highlighted in build menu. Build any ship on launchpad/runway. Upon hitting 'finalize build,' ship appears, and during loading, the root part explodes before 'release' button can be pressed. Ship is now permanently docked to launchpad/runway and unusable.

There was a bug for this on GitHub, and I posted there as well. But I am not sure if 'launched and landed' launchpads and runways have the same problem. Will test shortly.

Edit: Tested with just putting a launchpad on the runway at KSC and having everything connected at launch. Built a vehicle on the launchpad, and no explosion. This SEEMS to indicate that it has something to do with the functionality of the part when built with EPL off planet. Something in the build process causes this bug. Would appreciate a confirmation and possible fix.

Edit: More testing reveals that things built with survey stakes and the orbital dock tend to have certain things 'turned off.' For instance, I just built and launched a satellite from the Mun, and the SAS system would not work correctly. It turned on as usual, but when I right clicked on the SAS modules, the stated that they were idle, and the ship would not right itself. I had the correct probe core on the ship, and when launched from KSC, the same build worked perfectly. And previously, the Lazor System Hullcams will work when launched from KSC, but not when built at the orbital dock.

Edited by AtrumDeus
Testing

In reference to the problem I was having with the orbital dock and parts spawning hundreds of metres away and all messed up. I have been doing some testing tonight. I installed hyperedit so I could test a lot quicker, first I loaded a different save and launched a space dock. The problem was still present so I made a fresh game install installing each mod one by one then testing. I have a lot of addons so you can imagine this took a while. Well by the end I had no problem it was working fine so I copied save old career save to the new game folder and bam the problem is there. So obviously that only means one thing and that is my save is buggered which is a shame as I have spent a lot of time on it. I wonder if there is any way to save it.

I am having an issue with the survey stakes. I'm planting them in the ground, but then when I build something at the origin stake it momentary spawns there and then for some odd reason teleports into one of my base parts and just blows up...

so, having just updated all my mods, I discovered that the launchpads now need resources all the time- while this is fine for when I'm doing more serious play in Science or Career mode, it's a bit annoying when I'm testing things in sandbox mode. is there a way to disable resource use ala the old Debug Mode in the current build of EL? it makes it SO much easier to test various landers, ascent stages, large ships, rovers and the like- putting a pad on various bodies for testing has been a staple of my ship development since I first got this mod, since it REALLY SUCKS to get to, say, Duna, land, and then discover your ascent stage can't break orbit.

or discover you put something on upside-down on accident *glares at Mechjeb AR2 case* and having your rocked flip upside-down or sideways or something.

or not having enough RCS thrusters to turn at a rate other than 'glacial'.

yeah. the loss of easy emperical testing is hitting my R&D division kinda hard. :D

Edited by Mechtech

Everyone: check your logs for exceptions. Odds are some mod is throwing an exception, or causing KSP to throw an exception. Last night I had a problem when I built a ship at my orbital station, but I had forgotten to install the IVA for B9's M27 cockpit (I don't want all of B9: just too big) and KSP (really, Unity) did not like that.

Everyone: check your logs for exceptions. Odds are some mod is throwing an exception, or causing KSP to throw an exception. Last night I had a problem when I built a ship at my orbital station, but I had forgotten to install the IVA for B9's M27 cockpit (I don't want all of B9: just too big) and KSP (really, Unity) did not like that.

I have no idea which log to check for this, but regardless, you would think that something throwing an exception would not be a constant and reliably reproduced problem. However, if you let Me know where I should be looking for the log, I can upload it for you, or send the file to you. I love the basic concept of this mod, and the general functionality, just need to nail down some problems with it.

AtrumDeus: Exceptions usually are reliable and easily reproduced. These days, KSP.log is good enough, though there's also output_log.txt (for Windows), but I don't know its exact location (I use Linux).

I got my Eve expedition on its way last night, I have a Duna window coming up soon, and a miner for Minmus being built, so I'll be able to do some landed testing soon (well, assuming I can get some more engineers). The Eve expedition consists of 5 assemblies in two ships (all docked together) using 2 huge hexcan clusters worth of RocketParts (total mass, included fuel and RocketParts is about 83t), all built in LKO, so I know the orbital construction works well.

[edit]6 assemblies: I forgot the 1.25m to 2.5m docking adapter. :)

Edited by taniwha

I got an exploding issue. When i try to finalize the build (using stakes) it places the thing correctly, but after few moments it teleports below ground and explodes. Any ideas? And yes it looks like there are some NPEs

Edited by Tsuki

Tsuki: go through your log file checking the NREs. Find out which mods are throwing them. You can usually get a good idea of which mod it is from the names in the stack trace.

How do I send you My log file? I have a LOT of Null Reference Exceptions. Object reference not set to an instance of an object. All thrown like this:

[EXC 16:52:59.021] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

ExLP.ExBuildWindow.OnGUI ()

This are the two NREs i get when I create the vessel. Any ideas?

EXC 06:58:38.757] NullReferenceException
UnityEngine.Transform.TransformDirection (Vector3 direction)
ActiveJoint.getControlOrt (Vector3 refAxis, PartSpaceMode mode)
ActiveJoint.applyCoordsUpdate ()
ActiveJoint.onPartPack (.Part p)
EventData`1[Part].Fire (.Part data)
Part.Pack ()
Vessel.GoOnRails ()
FlightGlobals.setActiveVessel (.Vessel v, Boolean force)
FlightGlobals.SetActiveVessel (.Vessel v)
ShipConstruction.AssembleForLaunch (.ShipConstruct ship, System.String landedAt, System.String flagURL, .Game sceneState, .VesselCrewManifest crewManifest)
ExLP.ExBuildControl.BuildAndLaunchCraft ()
ExLP.ExBuildWindow.FinalizeButton ()
ExLP.ExBuildWindow.WindowGUI (Int32 windowID)
UnityEngine.GUILayout+LayoutedWindow.DoWindow (Int32 windowID)
UnityEngine.GUI.CallWindowDelegate (UnityEngine.WindowFunction func, Int32 id, UnityEngine.GUISkin _skin, Int32 forceRect, Single width, Single height, UnityEngine.GUIStyle style)
[LOG 06:58:38.775] Tac.LifeSupportModule[FFDB329C][2721.17]: OnStart: PreLaunch, Landed
[EXC 06:58:38.776] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
ExLP.ExWorkshop.Update ()

and is it related to vessel spawining inside the ground?

And another problem, after building the base the GUI does not uptade and the button "Finalize build" remains there so there is no way form me starting an new one and I can keep placing the built vessel

Edited by Tsuki

AtrumDeus: zip it up and put it somewhere like pastebin, dropbox, ...

But that ExLP.ExBuildWindow.OnGUI seems to be at the top of the list is interesting. I thought I got everything. Still, I need your whole log file as there might be something earlier causing later problems.

Tsuki: that's all code that should be ok as it looks like stuff that gets called every time. I need your full log file.

Ok I think I found the source of my problems i was using "-force-d3d11-no-singlethreaded". Without it it seems to be working fine. Or at least I was not able to reproduce it again in 2 tries. However while trying to get a clean log of this problem, I stumbled on another problem, I built something, than when I wanted to move the stake I accidentaly droped it and it exploded, I placed another stake and at that point the UI gliched and log started to spam errors.

Here is the ksp.log and output_log: logs

EDIT: managed to reproduce the problem with finalize build and sinking into the ground: logs

EDIT2: with some more investigation, I found I can reliably reproduce the first problem (and avoid it). Whenever I enter VAB and than go back to vessel the error will show up, but if I go to the vessel directly after starting KSP it will work ok. So if I want to play normally I have to restart KSP each time I use VAB. So my gues is it is not EL fault, but something else, I will investigate more (try to remove some other mods).

Edited by Tsuki