[1.12] Extraplanetary Launchpads v6.99.3

taniwha

I think I may have found a bug with surveyed builds in 0.90. I designed a completely stock rocket but when I clicked 'finalize build' the rocket spawned slanted at some strange angle and under the surface (with ensuing explosions). Trying several more times led to it spawning almost horizontally and displaced in random directions at various distances. Renaming the vessel before building didn't help and nor did replacing all of the parts one by one.

Curiously, what did fix it was building the rocket from scratch. Thinking of possible causes led me to think of only one difference between the two craft: on the first one I had used the root part re-flow in the VAB to change the root part and then back again. This bug has happened on two different vessels now with the same fix and they also had in common that root part re-flow was used during the first iteration design. Could this affect the surveyed build system somehow?

On a related note, I've experienced joint-breaking twists in the launch stabilizers on build if I've angled the entire vessel using the root part. Besides "don't tilt the vessel," is there any advice you can offer? Thanks!

Hi,

Interesting problems - I cant even get EL to build anything - is using survey sticks (?) on the surface the only way? I still have not got an answer on UI's not opening up in the launchpad and orbital dock...does the workshop have to be connected? I may be looking for tutorials to see this in action...I am goin crazy with resource building...be a shame if I cant use rocketparts to build anything !

Zeta

Hi,

Interesting problems - I cant even get EL to build anything - is using survey sticks (?) on the surface the only way? I still have not got an answer on UI's not opening up in the launchpad and orbital dock...does the workshop have to be connected? I may be looking for tutorials to see this in action...I am goin crazy with resource building...be a shame if I cant use rocketparts to build anything !

Zeta

Likely an installation issue. Logs? Screenshot of your gamedata folders? Something to help you troubleshoot other than "its just broke?"

Taniwa - When you get a chance could you add the info about survey stakes (origin, direction, bounds) to the OP? Right now the information is contained in the version releases where you added or changed features which makes it a little hard to find. Thanks.

Does EL account for procedural fairings? Had an Orbital Spacedock get ripped off when my son's rover/lander was built, because he used fairings for the rover that hung downwards below the rest of the skycrane. Had to fly & dock a new spacedock. :(

/\--+--/\ <Skycrane rockets

\/ <Fairing hanging down

What I suspect happened is that the fairings were caught in the spacedock collider, and when we throttled up, yanked the spacedock from the rest of the station. Unfortunately we didn't have any KAS items prebuilt to deal with this unplanned disassembly.

moronwrocket: Without looking into the pfairings code, I would have to say that since you experienced trouble, EL can't determine the size of the fairings when it comes time to place the ship (which also implies that you are getting your fairings partially for free (incorrect mass)). That said, there is a workaround: put something under your engines (eg, a truss segment) such that the lowermost part of your ship is non-procedural. You can then stage them off, somehow snag them (actually, you need only one), and recycle them.

/\--+--/\ <Skycrane rockets
\/ TT <removable supports that come lower than the fairing

Jeb: Hey, Bill! Why is the fairing stuck in the construction dock?

Bill: [looks at blue prints] Hmm... are there supposed to be fairings?[flips page]Oh, somebody put them in as an afterthought so we got the overall height wrong.

Edited by taniwha

I just took a look at the pfairings code and not only does it look like EL does get the right mass (pfairings is good, it does its mesh building at the right time (OnStart)), but it looks like I might be able to get EL to see the right colliders (though it currently does not). No promises on when I can put out a fix, so stick with the workaround for now.

The Space Man: it has been completely removed, not just disabled. This was for both gameplay (TANSTAAFL) and maintenance reasons.

Is there anyway i can still use the mod without needing to search and drill for resources, or even disable the build timer and just use rocket parts?

I don't use any mods like kethane or karbonite, and i've tried adding 99999 rocketparts to my launchpads cfgs but the timer never moves from 0% ;.;

The timer never starts even though i have rocketparts.

C6FZmTg.jpg

If you have USI Kolonization/MKS installed, it disables the stock EPL parts in a MM cfg. MKS has its own production cycle and replacements for most of the parts but no recycler.

Finally some useful information! Just deleted the recycler entry on the cfg and there it is. Cheers

Finally some useful information! Just deleted the recycler entry on the cfg and there it is. Cheers

To be fair, if you had started off with more complete information, such as a modlist, it wouldn't have been a lucky shot in the dark comment that gave you the answer.

HippieGold: Add more engineers.

Shhh. Don't tell taniwha I said this, but you can also change the build efficiency multiplier in the workshop .cfg. But for reasonability's sake, it's pretty good as-is. Just use timewarp to jump to the end of the build or go fly another spaceship for a while.

For others facing this problem, the file is EL_CONFIG.CFG in GameData/UmbraSpaceIndustries/Kolonization. Do a search for ELRecycleBin.

OK, I've tested out the recycler, and it didn't work quite as I expected. I have Kethane and MKS among other mods. I figured on the fuel and oxidizer and monopropellant being recovered, and the rest of the spacecraft being broken down. What I did not expect is that the process would be instant; it should take some time. I can understand not turning the results into rocket parts. I envision the workings of a recycler to be a shredder and a separator, so other than pumpable propellants the remainder of the mass should be about 50% Recyclables and 50% Waste, rather than just turning it all into Metal. Is there an easy way for me to change that?

You can't currently change the recovered amount, but you can change the resource (eg to ScrapMetal, which I am seriously considering doing) via ExtraplanetaryLaunchpads/Settings.cfg (HullRecycleTarget).

As for the instant bit: I'm not so keen on it myself, but it's a rather low priority. Right now I'm working on another mod to make long-term bases more viable.

You can't currently change the recovered amount, but you can change the resource (eg to ScrapMetal, which I am seriously considering doing) via ExtraplanetaryLaunchpads/Settings.cfg (HullRecycleTarget).

As for the instant bit: I'm not so keen on it myself, but it's a rather low priority. Right now I'm working on another mod to make long-term bases more viable.

Oh NO you didn't ... you didn't just drop announcement without more of a teaser/trailer? No pics even ... yer slacking Taniwha .. yer slacking!

and I do apologize profusely for butchering your handle previously ... my only excuse is that I was on a cell phone and www.damnyouautocorrect.com showed up. :D