[1.12] Extraplanetary Launchpads v6.99.3

taniwha

smjjames: Thank you for the update. Darn, I wonder what it is, since I was unable to reproduce it using your steps.

Huh, wierd, you're not able to reproduce it with my steps? I'll try a 99% clean test with just stock, KIS+KAS, EPL, and exception detector.

Edit: I tried and it still reproduces with the most basic possible setup that reproduces it (what I mentioned in the previous sentence), I even removed MM. Exception detector isn't required to reproduce, just lets me see when the exception happens.

Should I do a quick video of the steps?

Edited by smjjames

smjjames: Thank you for the update. Darn, I wonder what it is, since I was unable to reproduce it using your steps.

MarcAlain: The Orbital Mass Detector has not been updated, so it works only with Kethane. The magnetometer, on the other hand, has been updated, so it does work with both stock and Kethane.

Weird, cause I can totally see hotspots of Metal Ore from orbit now.

Have found a weird compatibility issue with the ALCOR_Capsule_0.9.2.3

When you click load in the UI for a ship with this mod part. Instead of bringing up the confirm to start building, it is insta-built at the centre point of your base (normally with a game crashing explosion) and without cost... :huh:

Have found an update, ALCOR_Capsule_0.9.4 seems to fix the issue

Edited by Umbra TuSlayer

Umbra TuSlayer: yes, such an occurrence (instabuild, Philadelphia Experiment style) is caused by something throwing an exception when EL loads the .craft file and checks its parts to determine the build cost. The solution is, every time[/ii] to get the relevant mod fixed.

smjjames: I suspect which parts you use might matter after all. A vid should help, though.

yimyamest yimyamer: Stock Ore is not suitable for building materials unless you want plastic. The density is wrong, and the conversion of Ore to fuel leaves no room for other resources. It is, really, a poorly named resource, but we are stuck with it now.

However, EL does work with the stock resource system, which is what Whizzkid was thinking of.

yimyamest yimyamer: Stock Ore is not suitable for building materials unless you want plastic. The density is wrong, and the conversion of Ore to fuel leaves no room for other resources. It is, really, a poorly named resource, but we are stuck with it now.

However, EL does work with the stock resource system, which is what Whizzkid was thinking of.

so If I were playing it without kethane is you just simply use the stock ore to make rocket parts? (and also does this work with Dark Multiplayer cause I'm trying to use this mod with friends and trying to keep the modlist simple)

so If I were playing it without kethane is you just simply use the stock ore to make rocket parts? (and also does this work with Dark Multiplayer cause I'm trying to use this mod with friends and trying to keep the modlist simple)

Mostly yes. It uses the stock engine but adds a resource called metal ore that can be made into rocket parts. But you can find it with stock parts etc.

are there any plans to add in a drone workshop so that it would be possible to have the construction of a base on a distant planet be built before the kerbal crew arrives? sort of like https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colonization_of_Mars#Robotic_precursors

Civilian Population has exactly that - a robotic construction drone that acts as an EL Survey Station. No Kerbals required.

Civilian Population has exactly that - a robotic construction drone that acts as an EL Survey Station. No Kerbals required.

Unfortunately , that's incorrect at the moment. have not figured out a way around the manned requirement (short of forking EPL, and i don't wanna do that)

Though I have actually added a small crew cabin to the drone, and it gives nice +30 productivity to account for A.I. support. :P

EDIT: And just read the post about recipes! Seems pretty awesome Taniwha. If im reading it correctly it will allow modders to add configs to our parts specifying what resources we want to have EPL use to build said parts.

Edited by rabidninjawombat

rabidninjawombat: You are reading it correctly.

Unfortunately, things have gotten hung up on the recycler rewrite, but I think I'll put that on the back-burner and focus on just getting the recycler to use recipes. I hope to be able to do a pile of work this weekend (wife permitting).

yeh i had previously used rabidninjawombat 's part but had noticed that the code didnt permit it to work so was wondering if taniwha could tweak the code to allow it to function? maybe by adding a special module for such a part balanced with high monartary cost? :D cheers

Casper88, Taniwha has talked about doing something separate for unmanned stuff in the future. :) In fact, looking back it was in response to a question from you :P

Edited by rabidninjawombat

A bit of a status update...

Recipes are coming along nicely. I have all the basic infrastructure in place and recipes are being used for both determining build cost and how to recycle "parts" (includes unfortunate kerbals crewing parts).

The new recycler code is coming along nicely, just have a problem with the recycler getting with resources it can't shift (need to add a way to dump resources from the recycler), and EVAed kerbals don't recycle properly.

A bit of a status update...

Recipes are coming along nicely. I have all the basic infrastructure in place and recipes are being used for both determining build cost and how to recycle "parts" (includes unfortunate kerbals crewing parts).

The new recycler code is coming along nicely, just have a problem with the recycler getting with resources it can't shift (need to add a way to dump resources from the recycler), and EVAed kerbals don't recycle properly.

Wonderful! Thanks for the update.

Now i just have to figure out a way to use the Recycler to recycle a kerbal into Food. ;)

Koylent Green is kerbals!

... EVAed kerbals don't recycle properly ...

I'm not sure if I'm Disturbed by the fact someone would WANT to recycle Kerbals or Joyful that Bob survives another day of testing.

I mean blowing them up with an non-accidental planned disassembly is one thing ... it's all in the name of science of course! But willfully shoving them into the front of a large snow removal truck ... <shudders>

~M~

ps - I'm joking.

Mynar Moonshadow: Actually, no survivors, just no resources at the moment. And yes, it is disturbing (I actually hate this part of EL testing), but not doing so would not make sense (and it does add an element of danger to the recycling bins).

rabidninjawombat: That would actually be trivial as that is the purpose of rewriting the recycler to use recipes: modders getting what they think they should from parts/resources rather than what I think they should, or what it takes to build a part (and there's no way I could cover all mods).

Before I go out and try to jury-rig this on my own, has anyone tried to implement a 'construction node' using EL?

I'm thinking of using the base functionality of the orbital space dock to allow to build on to a space station dynamically. Replace the current model with a simple stock/cylinder-style parts, and find some way to eliminate the 'launch' function. Then just build out from the node, and make sure the structure you are building also has at least one construction node. As long as you supply RocketParts, you can build recursively.

Any thoughts?