90 Degree rotated parts

Hi All,

My suggestion may actually be considered cosmetic but there are functional aspects to it.

When using the hitchhiker pod to make a space base or lunar base, the door and rungs are set horizontal to the ground. This means my Kerbals come out sideways and usually fall off trying to navigate the ladder maze.

My suggestion is simply to have a copy of the occupiable modules but with the doors and ladders rotated by 90 degrees.

Then during construction, you just select the correct one for the right orientation once it's landed.

Pros: Code is already there, models are already there, item balance is already there. All for prettier looking moon/space bases (with ladders in the right directions) and less Kerbal bruising.

Cons: Duplicate looking parts in the editor. Someone has to move the vertexes in the 'new' models.

Regards

Yes, but then the door gets rotated as well.

Say I want 3 hitchhiker modules as a 'passage' for a base section, the doors and ladders on the parts are parallel to the ground.

I hope this pic imbeds properly.

The left side and middle shows what I currently have. No matter how you rotate it, the ladders are sideways. The badly photoshopped right hand module is the 'new' part batch I suggest. The doors are rotated 90 on the part itself making neater bases possible.

rotated.jpg

(edit) Having a short extendible ladder would compliment this quite well.

Edited by edwardc

ohh, thats a great idea

the ladders and hatch should be round together with the module so it doesnt look weird though

a new part with the same function of the hitchhiker but made for that kind of base would be great, as that is the only parts which allow crew storage

Like i said, my suggestion could be considered cosmetic. I just find it annoying (and a little illogical) when I've got a large moon base set up and every time a Kerbal leaves through a door he comes out sideways. Yes, I can lay down rungs all over and have him scampering around like an electric train crossed with a hampster but I wanted it to make sense.

Our own moon landing would have looked a little silly if Neil came out sideways and had to do a 3 point turn on the side of the Eagle.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.