Krags PlanetFactory. Updated Jan 22

Kragrathea

Did you change the descriptions in the celestial bodies since the previous version? If not, I have some suggestions, though they're only for the bodies in the Sun system, as I haven't tried the new version due to the several bugs reported.

Ablate

There has been a lot of controversy regarding Ablate's existence. Similarly to Laythe, when it was first discovered, it didn't enter the records because the scientists in charge thought the astronomer was looking at Moho. Eventually, another astronomer was observing Moho and noticed a small dot at the Sun, which hinted towards the existance of Ablate.

Eventually, Moho's status as closest planet to the Sun was revoked and given to Ablate. Several infuriated Kerbals who love planet Moho caused riots across Kerbin's cities, causing Ablate to be downgraded to a dwarf planet and for Moho to retrieve it's status as closest planet to the Sun.

Inacessable

There is still controversy whether Inacessable is an actual planet in the sky or not. It's abnormally high rotation speed often makes Kerbals believe it is not a celestial object and is rather a spying device made by tall, biped creatures with five fingers from outer space, though astronomers guarantee us it's a real planet.

Acension

Acension has long been an intriguing dwarf planet to Kerbality. It's incredibly eccentrical orbit with an apoapsis that gives Sentar's a run for it's money and a periapsis close enough to high-five the Sun often makes Kerbals mistake it for a comet.

In fact, now that I speak of it, Acension MAY be a comet wandering across the Sun...hmm...

Sentar

An unique planet due to it's rings and sometimes considered as Jool's sister planet, Sentar has long been considered in mythology to be full of oceanic life. According to Kerbal archeologists, the name translates into Kerbal as ratnes or "to stand". Significant? I doubt it...

Skelton

Skelton has long been known for it's nasty habit of tricking astronomers into believing that it is Duna. In fact, it has been first discovered centuries before Duna and has since then been confused for the nearer red planet, until seven year old amateur astronomer Skelton Kerman noticed Sentar in the background, identifying that it is, in fact, not Duna.

Skelton Kerman was then moved up to university and granted an one year long term of advanced astronomy for free.

Erin

Erin has long been known for it's high ammounts of puddles. Often considered Sentar's equivalent of Jool's Laythe, Kerbals across the world had long been considering to set a new civilization on Erin due to it's similarity to Kerbin.

Well, it's similar, if you don't count the abnormally high ammount of puddles across one side of the moon, the thinner atmosphere, the fact that it's a moon of a Gas Giant, and the further distance to the Sun...actually, it isn't very similar, is it? This sounds like the same Kerbals who think Eve is Kerbin's sister planet.

Pock

After the controversy that happened when Pock was discovered, due to it being a moon orbiting another moon, astronomers decided to name it after the famous rapper Pock Kerman, widely known for his catchphrase "Yo dawg, we heard you like X, so we put an X in your X, so you can X while you X!".

Needless to say, when Pock Kerman heard about this, his next plans were to set a stage for his next music on Pock.

Ringle

Ringle has been misunderstood a lot of times by the science community. When it first was discovered, it was mistaken for a piece of gold stuck to the lens of the telescope, causing the bigmouthed astronomer to yell "I'M RICH!". A few seconds after, a fistfight ensued over who possessed the gold piece. After that, it was mistaken for an eared dwarf planet in the outer reaches of the Solar system, because all telescopes had been broken in the previous fight and they had to use the backup telescopes, which are ten years old and malfunctioning.

And after the shipment of recent telescopes had arrived, it was mistaken for a protostar due to it's yellowish coloration and because the astronomer who observed Ringle forgot his glasses. It was only two months afterwards that it was discovered that Ringle is actually a moon of Sentar, because astronomers couldn't catch a picture of Ringle without Sentar in the background.

Thud

Thud has long been the punching bag of the Solar system, and it's heavy craters confirm that. It's black hole-like gravity basically means game over if you get caught by Thud while you try to get to Sentar.

Scientists speculate that the end of Kerbalkind may include Thud, Tylo and Eve joining forces and crashing into Kerbin.

I like your descriptions, but in a lot of places, you have written it's where its would be correct. It's means it is, and is therefore not apprpriate for use in most of the places. I'm not intending to grammar **** here, but if this is going into the mod, it should be grammatically correct.

EDIT: I also fixed a few of the proper nouns. Just remove the apostrophes from the red words, and you're good to go. The green words are where "it's" is used correctly.

I like your descriptions, but in a lot of places, you have written it's where its would be correct. It's means it is, and is therefore not apprpriate for use in most of the places. I'm not intending to grammar **** here, but if this is going into the mod, it should be grammatically correct.

EDIT: I also fixed a few of the proper nouns. Just remove the apostrophes from the red words, and you're good to go. The green words are where "it's" is used correctly.

I fixed the It's and Its issues, but are you really sure it should be written "Mohos status as a dwarf planet" instead of "Moho's status as a dwarf planet"?

Next version will have the planets defined in a config file.

If you see "DEFAULT" anywhere it is because there is a missing or damaged texture. Does anyone else see default on Sentar?

Yeah I'm seeing default on it.

I fixed the It's and Its issues, but are you really sure it should be written "Mohos status as a dwarf planet" instead of "Moho's status as a dwarf planet"?

The corrections that wasmic provided are correct for it's and its but not for the proper nouns. "Moho's status as a dwarf planet" is the correct useage, as is "This sounds like the same Kerbals who think Eve is Kerbin's sister planet" etc.

The colors on Joker seem a bit weird I think it would be nice to tone down the color variation. But other than that great mod and I heard you talk about having to restart in .21 because squad completely changed how planets are made am I right?

I don't really like Serious, why not include Joker in a Pluto-equivalent orbit instead of having a Star orbit another star? In my opinion, it does not really make sense.

Just consider the Sun as the center of a galaxy and Joker is the new "Sun" and that's OK.

For solar panels, perhaps an derived/extended version of stock SolarPanel module will be needed for multi-stars: the plugin will provide a setting file which contains each celestial body's brightness (for planets it should be 0 or some very low values if you really want to, and for stars they can have different values depending on how bright they are), the calculation will iterate all bodies which have non-zero brightness value and sum these results (which are after ray-cast checking, angle modulating, etc.) up to get the final charge rate.

the solar panel will also:

have a context menu to allow players to choose

Or

automatically evaluate

which star it will track, so that when a probe is heading closer to the star Joker, it can track the Joker and acquire more electricity.

Edited by HoneyFox

I'm slightly confused. Can someone either describe or post a picture of the entirety of the new solar system and where everything goes. Also, I think Joket really should just be kinda grey instead of trippy and it might be cool to make Ringle icy with a thin atmosphere - would look like less of a Duna clone and would be like Natchels Ghost from Ian M Banks' sci-fi books.

Just consider the Sun as the center of a galaxy and Joker is the new "Sun" and that's OK.

For solar panels, perhaps an derived/extended version of stock SolarPanel module will be needed for multi-stars: the plugin will provide a setting file which contains each celestial body's brightness (for planets it should be 0 or some very low values if you really want to, and for stars they can have different values depending on how bright they are), the calculation will iterate all bodies which have non-zero brightness value and sum these results (which are after ray-cast checking, angle modulating, etc.) up to get the final charge rate.

the solar panel will also:

have a context menu to allow players to choose

Or

automatically evaluate

which star it will track, so that when a probe is heading closer to the star Joker, it can track the Joker and acquire more electricity.

Firstly, Serious is the star. Secondly, you will find that when close enough to any star to get solar power from it, the power recieved from any other star will be negligible. The ratio of irradiance from Alpha Centauri and the irradiance from the sun at Earth's orbit is 1:51,000,000,000.

Thus, the solar panels would only have to focus on the star in the SOI the craft is in.

Firstly, Serious is the star. Secondly, you will find that when close enough to any star to get solar power from it, the power recieved from any other star will be negligible. The ratio of irradiance from Alpha Centauri and the irradiance from the sun at Earth's orbit is 1:51,000,000,000.

Thus, the solar panels would only have to focus on the star in the SOI the craft is in.

1. Oh, I've just seen some screenshots and there's Joker name displayed there so i thought that was the name of the star.

2. If these stars are quite far away from each other, it should work by only tracking the last star in SOI hierarchy. e.g. If the SOI hierarchy is: The Galaxy(can use the current "Sun" as the galaxy center) -> Serious(star) -> ...(planet), then we will pick Serious as the light source.

So if someone could combine this mod and the Real Solar System mod, we could bring "Orbiter" to KSP

Someone was way ahead of you.

You might have to tweak the files posted there a bit though. Since that configuration used the old version of PlanetFactory, without Serious and Joker. So it's probably a good idea to either delete those 2 (If possible) or put them waaaay out.

As source coda was released, now we need some interesting planets to be added.. like planet with mountains so high that its above atmmosphere, super fast rotating planet iwth significantly lover gravity on equator making possible to start only from this area, planet with large canyon containg whole planets atmosphere.. there are many ideas in suggestions board.

Just for fun I've compiled a list of biomes for Kragrathea's Planet Factory (goes with this thread)

Ablate

Light Side Bulge

Light Side Edge

Terminator

Dark Side

Inaccessible

Poles

Polar Bulge

Equatorial Bulge (WORTH LOTS OF SCIENCE!)

Equatorial Craters

Polar Craters

Sentar

High Atmosphere

Low Atmosphere

Rings (Not sure how you would implement that, Krag)

Skelton

Mountain Edge

Mountain low

Mountain High

Mountain Peak

Lowlands

Polar Caps

Craters

Ascension

Lowlands

Highlands

Thud

Flat Highlands

Highlands

Lowlands

Craters

HUGE Crater

Erin

Polar Caps

Polar land

Land

Ocean

Shore

Pock

Highalands

Lowlands

Ringle

Whitelands

Brownlands

Goldlands

Rings

Craters

Joker

Greenlands

Bluelands

Redlakes

Whitelands

As source coda was released, now we need some interesting planets to be added.. like planet with mountains so high that its above atmmosphere, super fast rotating planet iwth significantly lover gravity on equator making possible to start only from this area, planet with large canyon containg whole planets atmosphere.. there are many ideas in suggestions board.

We already have inaccessable, but I'd like a planet where the entire atmosphere is in canyons, or one where mountains are so high that they reach out of the atmosphere. To make it extra fun, it should be a planet with an extremely thick atmosphere at surface level, and with no atmosphere at the top of mountains. Then you could land in the lowlands and drive a rover up one of the mountains.

I could say I'm happy to see continuing development of this mod, but that would be rather understating the case.

Kragrathea, great planet builder, would buy again!

I'm afraid you are incorrect in quite a lot of places there. Apostrophes should also be used to indicate the possessive, i.e. something that belongs to something else. Jool's Laythe, for example is quite correct as the moon Laythe belongs to the planet Jool. Same for 'Moho's status'. The status belongs to Moho. Kerbin's sister planet is also fine as the sister belongs to Kerbin.

Please consider your grammar naziism reciprocated :P

In UK and US English, the apostrophe is used:

To indicate the possessive.

To indicate missing letters.

Sometimes to indicate the structure of unusual words.

horizontal rule

1. To indicate the possessive.

This is Peter's book.

This book is Peter's.

The dog's dinner looks disgusting.

Diana was the people's princess.

I tore up the men's shirts.

One should choose one's words carefully.

It is everyone's duty to protest.

It is no-one's responsibility.

Personal pronouns (words like I, you, he, she, it, we, they) indicate the possessive by becoming a whole new word. These new words are already possessive, so they don't need an apostrophe: my, mine, your, yours, his, her, hers, its, our, ours, their, theirs. Note that none of them has an apostrophe.

The house is yours.

The dog broke its leg.

She said the book was hers.

They claimed it was theirs.

But really it was ours.

It's means it is or it has. There's no such word as its'.

I'm afraid you are incorrect in quite a lot of places there. Apostrophes should also be used to indicate the possessive, i.e. something that belongs to something else. Jool's Laythe, for example is quite correct as the moon Laythe belongs to the planet Jool. Same for 'Moho's status'. The status belongs to Moho. Kerbin's sister planet is also fine as the sister belongs to Kerbin.

Please consider your grammar naziism reciprocated :P

In UK and US English, the apostrophe is used:

To indicate the possessive.

To indicate missing letters.

Sometimes to indicate the structure of unusual words.

horizontal rule

1. To indicate the possessive.

This is Peter's book.

This book is Peter's.

The dog's dinner looks disgusting.

Diana was the people's princess.

I tore up the men's shirts.

One should choose one's words carefully.

It is everyone's duty to protest.

It is no-one's responsibility.

Personal pronouns (words like I, you, he, she, it, we, they) indicate the possessive by becoming a whole new word. These new words are already possessive, so they don't need an apostrophe: my, mine, your, yours, his, her, hers, its, our, ours, their, theirs. Note that none of them has an apostrophe.

The house is yours.

The dog broke its leg.

She said the book was hers.

They claimed it was theirs.

But really it was ours.

It's means it is or it has. There's no such word as its'.

Today, I learned something. Thanks for clearing that up for me. I'm not a native english speaker, although I've got a quite good hold on it. That should teach me to grammar **** about things that I don't know about.

Im having trouble installing this plugin. I put the plugin data into the plugin data flolder and i stuck the plugin in the plugin flolder. The new planets are there when i open the game but the textures are not. Can someone help me with the installation process?

Im having trouble installing this plugin. I put the plugin data into the plugin data flolder and i stuck the plugin in the plugin flolder. The new planets are there when i open the game but the textures are not. Can someone help me with the installation process?

Same here. I install, the planets are there, but shows default textures. I would love to try out this mod.