What has got you interested in science?

Unimatrix1

Hi Kerbal's the question that has sprung to mind is how did you got interested in science? It is an interesting notion that it could be something small like an apple falling on your head, or something mind bogglingly big like we'll the universe even a launch of a space craft by NASA.

My interest in science started when I was about six or seven, I was in the children's section of the library and was very bored, no I wasn't reading type but I picked up a book just because it had the picture of the earth on the front, the first page I came to was that of the sun in hydrogen alpha (the one with the red filaments) that was the moment I was hooked I read the book, but was hungry for more there was nothing else Inge children's section so I went off to the science section, and I came across material worth more than gold (I have nothing against gold as it's formed they believe in the heart of a supernova) and that's when I saw pictures of planets, galaxies, I didn't understand most of the books but I understood this was the start of my fascination in astronomy and science.

Well what's your story? Was it a game, a book, someone you know? let's exchange experiences.

I still head straight to the science section first in the library or book store.

For me, it just... was. I can't really pinpoint it exactly, though I'm sure Halo, Star Wars, Battlestar Galactica, and other sources for science fiction played a major role. My only regret is failing to realize that math has a large application in science- otherwise the info might have stuck. :P

The same was true for me, but my career forced me to undertake maths as it is a requirement of electronics especially if you want to become an engineer. Now I love maths it's another reason I fell for the game, I have even got to the point once where I calculated my delta v and compared against mech Jeb just to prove to myself I could still do it. This game does make you feel proud to be geeky. :)

I do not think that interest is started at a single point. It mostly is caused by a curious nature, combined with an environment that stimulates that curiosity and provides the input to grow it. For as long as I can remember I liked robots, cars, space, dinosaurs and whatnot. Whichever way you look, there is science to be found.

For me, it just... was. I can't really pinpoint it exactly, though I'm sure Halo, Star Wars, Battlestar Galactica, and other sources for science fiction played a major role. My only regret is failing to realize that math has a large application in science- otherwise the info might have stuck. :P

Try visiting the Khan Academy website, you could brush up on your skills. It is never too late!

That's true but also the opposite could be true, take for example NASA mission for the moon then a lot of people thought of the moon as something that rises and sets, but then it was a place you could visit, I'm sure that got quite a few people to look up and say I want to be involved, at that point they probably looked at science as important other than limited to brainy people.

My point being yes you may have seen science as a passing fancy untill something makes you think otherwise.

I'm going to take a look at the Khan Academy site at a glance it looks quite intetesting.

Edited by Unimatrix1

I loved Lego 90's was my era and I'd buy more Lego now if they created a Kerbal space program Lego set with all the stock parts, perhaps coupled with some electronics so your stages can be de-coupled and a space to put small rocket motors in the rocket parts, it'll give hours of fun or 10 min's (id go for 10min's of fun) ;)

Hmmm dinosaurs I wonder what a kerbin dinosaur would be like? They may have created space travel and gone to another star system that's why there are no fossils found on Kerbin, they must have left due to the meteorite impact we see on the planet.

Christianity. It tried to offer explanations for the way the world was, but the explanations are all inconsistent and full of holes. Naturally, I would ask my parents why things were the way they were and they would just say "You can ask God when you get to heaven.". Eventually I had a list of hundreds of technical questions for God, and most of them pertained to human anatomy. Every now and then I would show a copy of it to and old person and say something like "You look almost dead, would you deliver this message to God for me and make sure he replies in the manner specified at the end?" This was often met with laughs.

Eventually, when I was around 8 I think, I realized that answering one's own questions with methodical experimentation is the way to go, and stopped paying attention to Christians.

Christianity. It tried to offer explanations for the way the world was, but the explanations are all inconsistent and full of holes. Naturally, I would ask my parents why things were the way they were and they would just say "You can ask God when you get to heaven.". Eventually I had a list of hundreds of technical questions for God, and most of them pertained to human anatomy. Every now and then I would show a copy of it to and old person and say something like "You look almost dead, would you deliver this message to God for me and make sure he replies in the manner specified at the end?" This was often met with laughs.

Eventually, when I was around 8 I think, I realized that answering one's own questions with methodical experimentation is the way to go, and stopped paying attention to Christians.

Wow, somehow I find that a beautifully inspiring story. Despite our surroundings telling you otherwise, you figured out that what was told did not work for you and you worked out a better system for yourself.

Unfortunately, the vast majority of people have little interest in science (and will make whatever excuses they can to avoid it), but I would strongly caution against blaming that on whichever belief system they adhere to. As a Christian myself, I find the study of science to be a deeply humbling experience - as Einstein famously quipped, "The most incomprehensible thing about the world is that it is comprehensible".

I find that my own existence is infinitesimal in both time and space, and yet I have been given the ability to apply logic and reason to understand the workings of the entire universe. This is the sense of awe that fuels my interest in science.

Mars. My parents bought me a kids' science magazine when I was five, and the back cover was a small column about Mars -- which I had thought up to that point was just a thing some storyteller had made up. The fact that it was real was much more nifty than any old story, and I was determined to learn as much as I could about the real Mars.

I still have something of a soft spot for stories with Martians in them, though; War of the Worlds is one I come back to over and over, and I even relish Edgar Rice Burroughs from time to time.

I still have something of a soft spot for stories with Martians in them, though; War of the Worlds is one I come back to over and over, and I even relish Edgar Rice Burroughs from time to time.

Indeed, pulled that one out the bookshelf myself last night, bout time i was re-reading it

Probably watching the Discovery channel (back when it wasn't a bunch of reality TV crap) and History channel (like-wise) as a kid. That got me started and I think Apollo 13 (the Movie) inspired me too. I remember playing in a box when I was a kid pretending I was in a spacecraft going to Mars. My brother and I used to launch small model rockets in fields with our dad. Now I'm a year from graduating with a BS in Aerospace engineering. Where has the time gone?

Once upon a time, I walked through the city with my dad. I was 6 or 7 years old. We walked by a shop that sold minerals and crystals. They where glittering and shining, their crystaline forms were amazing, the colors so beautiful. I asked my dad, how they "made" this stuff. He answered, that stuff isn't made, it grows deep in the earth, with heat and pressure. I didn't understand, what he meant and asked him for hours and hours about that.

Then he told me, that he will show me, how crystals form. He went to a pharmacy and bought copper sulfate, a glass beaker and we grew very fine blue copper sulfate crystals in the kitchen.

That was the time a little boy decided to study chemistry and become a scientist. :D

When I was about 8 my friend bought me a book called "The Gobsmaking Galaxy" - of a similar theme to the Horrible Histories franchise. Was a very interesting book & I read it numerous times. One part in particular stood out was a more child-friendly version of Russell's Teapot, with the teapot replaced by a blob of jam that speaks French. That ignited the critical thinking in my brain, and as soon as you start to think critically, you'll be drawn towards science.

Off-topic and rule violating posts removed. Please stay on topic and comply with the forum rules, posts discussing religious matters are not allowed due to their sensitive nature and conflicting ideals leading to problems.

I really don't remember what originally got me started into the sciences. As far back as I can remember I was always observing how the world works and performing simple experiments using household materials. I used to do a fair amount with biology and plant materials research, but over time that gave way to combustion research, computers, and mechanical engineering. Quite possibly it was my love of steam power that caused the change.

Dunno, I was already intrested in science and space early at school.

Fortunately my parents fed this curiosity by buying me a series of illustrated books about History, Technology and Nature that was suitable for children/teens

I honestly really suck at math, my "science" experience happened sometime when I was younger, the only thing I really know is that I have always really loved space and being an astronaut. It is my dream to become an astronaut, I couldn't imagine myself doing anything else, thats why KSP is so awesome for me because it is a "near-real-life" simulation of how things are done!

• 3 weeks later...

The Apollo Program. (No, I wasn't alive when it happened, though I wish I was) Watching documentaries, reading books, even going to the Kennedy Space Centre during a family vacation! (my favourite part of the vacation, of course) It got me fascinated with all sorts of stuff! it lead me to KSP, and I'm sure it will lead me to lots of other good things! For example, Thanks to learning about the Moon program, I decided I wanted to be a mission control flight director for the manned missions to Mars!

Edited by Forte
grammar mistake :)

As every kid, I was interested in space and dinosaurs, but I suppose I was way more interested than others. I had several books about dinosaurs and space.

But only a couple of years ago (I'm now 19) I got this weird obsession in space, after reading a book about space race. Then I found KSP, and learned orbital mechanics from it. It's a bit weird, I never before figured out how it works. I think schools should certainly teach this stuff better, to avoid misconceptions.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.