Joystick support improvement

I want to ask SQUAD to consider increasing the number of joystick buttons recognized in game, possibly up to the range 0..39.

Moreover, I suggest the input settings GUI to be slightly modified: as of KSP ver 0.22, each single button used for joystick assignments is long only enough to show the text "joystickbutton" and barely a single digit afterwards. With a different font, or a slight increase in horizontal size, it would be possible to read two digits as needed.

I believe any advanced joystick would benefit of the above requested changes.

Anyway, my joystick is a Saitek X-52 Pro. KSP is the only program to have issues with it: it is able to bind axes fine, but not the main hat (POV0) and not any button with a ID number beyond 19 (X-52 has the ability to use up to 40 buttons, as each of its 8-way hat switches can also be reprogrammed as 4 single buttons). X-52 ships with a programming software that allows to assign buttons to keys, and with many other programs I just need to create a proper profile to match keys (as defined in the program settings) and buttons. However, KSP shows the very peculiar capability, when running, to intercept those buttons: no other program can get any input from the stick, including the joystick programming software itself.

I even tried to directly write in the settings.cfg file an assignment for a button beyond #19, but KSP does not like that and resets most joystick bindings.

not against better input code at all. but these problems usually can be solved just by mapping buttons directly to keystrokes rather than binding the buttons in game. this should be possible in the x-52 software (at least it was before i started using ch joysticks and threw away that piece of junk x52).

...these problems usually can be solved just by mapping buttons directly to keystrokes rather than binding the buttons in game. this should be possible in the x-52 software...

What about reading the post you're commenting about?

...KSP shows the very peculiar capability, when running, to intercept those buttons: no other program can get any input from the stick, including the joystick programming software itself.

Up for this, I was just going to create a thread for it but I found this.

While buttons are also a concern, I would add to this that it would be nice to be able to bind more axis than those now available and, while I won't ask that those can be used to control different sets of engine, but I'd like at least that mods can bind/use them, so mods like Davon TC Systems and Infernal Robotics could take advantage of those for a better control. It would be especially good for VTOL and SSTOs!

By the way, the stick I'd like to use better is a Saitek X65F (No, I didn't get it for kerbal, I already had it, but if I could use it well it would be awesome)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.