I made a giant satellite because hey... why not?

horndgmium

Here's a giant satellite I made for no reason except that it looks good. Used: welded station parts, Kosmos, KW for launch craft , and some other plugins for building it.

Edit: Craft file here. http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/editor-extensions/

AedkUDE.png

TQSMf3G.png

lswar3F.png

Sorry for the cluttery desktop...

Edited by horndgmium

It uses kosmos for the middle part, I couldn't find any good stock parts to make it with :/. It's 377 parts I think (without launcher). Computer lags so badly around it.

Also, if you guys want the craft file without the launcher (uses KW) I can upload one. Right now you definitely need kosmos and I think that's all, but I could probably try to make a stock one too if anyone wants that.

Edited by horndgmium

Is that where they filmed that James Bond movie?

That's the Arecibo Observatory in Puerto Rico. The largest 'single dish' radio telescope on earth.

It has featured in a variety of movies, series and games:

The Arecibo Observatory was featured on Cosmos: A Personal Voyage in Part 12 "Encyclopaedia Galactica."

The Arecibo Observatory is featured at the end of James Burke's TV series Connections in Part 3 "Distant Voices."

Arecibo Observatory was used as a filming location in the climax of the James Bond movie GoldenEye (1995) and as a level in the accompanying Nintendo 64 videogame GoldenEye 007.

Season 2 episode 22 of the cartoon Jackie Chan Adventures featured a spoof of the James Bond movie GoldenEye, and similarly ended the plot at the Arecibo Observatory.

The film Contact (1997), based on the Carl Sagan 1985 novel of the same name, features Arecibo, where the main character uses the facility as part of a SETI project.

Fox Mulder was sent to the Arecibo Observatory in The X-Files episode "Little Green Men".

Songwriter and author Jimmy Buffett mentions the "giant telescope" in his book Where Is Joe Merchant?, and in the lyrics to the song "Desdemona's Building A Rocket Ship".

The musicians Boxcutter, Lustmord, and Little Boots have all released albums named Arecibo.

The observatory is featured in the film Species (1995), the James Gunn novel The Listeners (1972), the Robert J. Sawyer novel Rollback, and the Mary Doria Russell novel The Sparrow.

Arecibo Observatory also featured in the action movie The Losers (2010).

In the video game Just Cause 2 there is a large radio observatory called PAN MILSAT that is very similar in appearance to Arecibo Observatory.

Internet radio station Arecibo Radio is named after the observatory.[52]

The Arecibo Observatory was featured in an episode Covert Affairs called "Loving the Alien" as a stand-in for the Lourdes SIGINT Station.

The Arecibo Observatory was mentioned in an episode of Korean TV Drama Playful Kiss in 2010.

The Arecibo Observatory is part of the backstory in the Ingress/Niantic LabsARG (2012).

An observatory similar to the Arecibo Observatory is featured in Battlefield 4 as a multiplayer map named "Rogue Transmission".

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arecibo_Observatory)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.