What is the most unexpected thing that has happened to you?

SergeantBlueforce

Had just finished assembling my Jool grand tour mothership in her parking orbit around kerbin. As I was prepping the burn she just exploded. At first I thought it was the kraken... What was once my grand tour ship was now a cloud of separated parts.

Looking at the log revealed the culprit... My polar orbit Kethane scanner that I had left alone and forgot about.

Thing is, I should have bought a lottery ticket that day, cause I still don't know how I timed it perfectly to have a 90 orbit ship hit a 0 orbit ship at 132ish km alt.

I think the odds on this one are astronomical. (Groan I know ;p )

I had an unmanned probe that had done a VERY successful tour of Jools Moons in career mode get apparently 'Kraken'd' on approach to Bop... It simply exploded, no debris, just POOF... Thankfully I still got a TON of science from it before that. But weird... very very weird.

I made it to Duna, AND BACK, on my very first manned attempt.

I had only sent one little probe beforehand, to see if there was an atmosphere and if aerobraking or parachutes would be required. Then I just took a good guess and what I'd need (not a single dv calculation, just eyeballed the size of the rocket).

The time that I sent a DSORC (Deep Space Orbital Research Craft) probe to Jool, after running out of fuel, I thought that the return to Kerbin would not happen. But then, against all odds, the DSORC went to Eeloo, circling to Dres, bouncing to Eve, to Duna, to Kerbin. The craft did not just circle the planet, but came down... it was then recovered after 10 years in space.

Just goes to show that just because a craft is out of fuel does not mean you should terminate it

The time that I sent a DSORC (Deep Space Orbital Research Craft) probe to Jool, after running out of fuel, I thought that the return to Kerbin would not happen. But then, against all odds, the DSORC went to Eeloo, circling to Dres, bouncing to Eve, to Duna, to Kerbin. The craft did not just circle the planet, but came down... it was then recovered after 10 years in space.

Just goes to show that just because a craft is out of fuel does not mean you should terminate it

... Wha-? how?

HOW IS THAT EVEN POSSIBLE!?!?

QUESTION: what?! By itself? With no manouvering? It hit 5 planets?!

QUESTION: what?! By itself? With no manouvering? It hit 5 planets?!
... Wha-? how?

HOW IS THAT EVEN POSSIBLE!?!?

I should have clarified, it had a mild amount of RCS left, it was in an elliptical orbit that glanced off the eeloo orbit, changed the plane, hit the dres plane (which equatorialized it to the sun), hit the sun periapsis, on its way out, it hit Eve with a 250km periapsis, changing the sun orbit, hit duna in a west-east orbit, which after 3 sun orbits came back to kerbin at a 300km periapsis, which I then RCS'ed down to 20km... my only regret in this incredible tale is that the DSORC is unmanned.

Edit: I attribute this mostly to dumb luck and I doubt it will ever happen again to me

I should have clarified, it had a mild amount of RCS left, it was in an elliptical orbit that glanced off the eeloo orbit, changed the plane, hit the dres plane (which equatorialized it to the sun), hit the sun periapsis, on its way out, it hit Eve with a 250km periapsis, changing the sun orbit, hit duna in a west-east orbit, which after 3 sun orbits came back to kerbin at a 300km periapsis, which I then RCS'ed down to 20km... my only regret in this incredible tale is that the DSORC is unmanned.

Edit: I attribute this mostly to dumb luck and I doubt it will ever happen again to me

Aah, now it is slightly more believable, and also completely insane :D

My most unexpected thing I have ever done was I was on my first intercept course to duna, and when I was in the intercept, I attempted to do an EVA report, and when my kerbal got out of the rocket he got shot away at 200 m/s. Luckily I had a jetpack so I could fly myself back to the rocket safely in orbit :P

My most unexpected thing I have ever done was I was on my first intercept course to duna, and when I was in the intercept, I attempted to do an EVA report, and when my kerbal got out of the rocket he got shot away at 200 m/s. Luckily I had a jetpack so I could fly myself back to the rocket safely in orbit :P

The same thing happened to me in orbit around Kerbin, but I could never get Jeb to re-enter the capsule. Even when approaching at about 0.1m/s, he just bounced off over and over again until I ran out of fuel.

The poor guy was stuck in a never ending orbit. :(

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.