Bon voyage

KASASpace

The following is what occurred on one of my Muna flybys. It is told in story format.

Part I: Launch

Bob Kerman was sitting in his capsule on the launchpad. He was waiting for what he dreaded, LAUNCHING. After that it was mostly okay, but this time he was on a flyby to the Mun. Last time he did a flyby around the Mun was to get some high altitude science reports, now he needs some low altitude ones. He sure wished there were more snacks packed, and when he started wondering if he had remembered to refill the gas on this thing, the engines fired.

BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM!

ROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!

The engines were powerful, and the asparagus rocket was efficient at what it did, but Bob was no where near those results when it came to launching.....

"WHAT DO I DO? HOLY CRAP! GET ME OUT! AGHHHHHH!"

"Calm down, Bob, you're fine, but if you keep overreacting your vitals will quicken and you might just die," the Cap-com skillfully explained, however futile.

Orbit was achieved rather perfectly, and then the burn for the Mun began, a free return was difficult to get as we wanted a low periapsis over the Mun. There wasn't a hitch. Yet.

Part II: The Mun

The plan was for Bob to actually enter orbit around the Mun and get some low altitude science. He performed well, but screamed a lot.

Then the lot for the return was staged, and a problem was noticed, Bob was in a retro-grade orbit, not good. So instead of burning retrograde relative to Kerbin, Bob had to burn prograde. He did so valiantly, but something was noticed during some of his EVAs......

Part III: Eventful Returns

As Bob was spacewalking, he noticed a peculiar lack of something.

"Umm, Mission Kontrol, I have a problem. Those engineers forgot the parachutes again!"

Bob shivered at the thought of Muna 1b, where he had to use the engine to brake.

"You've done this before, Bob. You can handle it."

"Okay....."

Reentry was initiated and Bob was coming in extremely fast. He had a couple hundred m/s to slow down, and only 6 km to do it, and just an LV-909........

Which was more than enough. He landed without a hitch, but we lost the stage, though.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Part IV: Recollections

It was a good mission, and over 200 science points were found. Due to the Muna program, many techs have been unlocked, and many Kerbals have made the ultimate sacrifice, not eating snacks, to reach this goal. Many other Kerbals got stranded on the Mun, even with asparagus staging.

Edited by KASASpace

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.