The Grand 0.23 Discussion Thread

SQUAD

Awesome! Steam patched the game in a few minutes (another reason to love it), and I've now started diving into the new, harder science mode. No more send-spam, you have to get the stuff back to Kerbin now! But I love the fact that I can mount experiments externally, have my kerbal go out and gather the results, and bring the data back in the capsule! Can't wait to see the science lab I just unlocked in action.

I liked the snappy response better too, but I guess this makes it easier to control?

I think it makes it more frustrating and far less maneuverable, stability should come from the design, not nerfed control surfaces. Hopefully they adjust it back towards the snappy side in the next update or if there's a hotfix.

My planes feel like they are flying through jelly.

Part of me really likes the RAPIER.

Part of me mourns that the "I can build SSTO planes club" just got much less exclusive. That auto switching feature makes things *so* much easier than before.

No, it really doesn't. That was just knowing how to do action groups. Trust me, fly one of your old designs and you'll realize that most of the WOW factor of the rapier comes from the fact that it came out at the same time as a serious overhaul of some of the spaceplane functionality. I pulled out one of my 0.22 spaceplanes, and it got to orbit better than the RAPIER test craft I put together. Admittedly, since it had three engines (one turbojet and two Rockomax 48-7S) it had three air intakes compared to the one on the RAPIER design, but they had comparable masses and amounts of fuel. I used the rockets for a total of 60 delta-v in reaching a 112 km circular orbit.

Part of me really likes the RAPIER.

Part of me mourns that the "I can build SSTO planes club" just got much less exclusive. That auto switching feature makes things *so* much easier than before.

^^^This.

I spent hours and hours trying to build the right space plane and finally, at my 320th hour of KSP in total, I got one in to orbit and back on the runway with virtually no fuel left. Incredibly difficult and now its a whole lot easier.

I pulled out one of my 0.22 spaceplanes, and it got to orbit better than the RAPIER test craft I put together. Admittedly, since it had three engines (one turbojet and two Rockomax 48-7S) it had three air intakes compared to the one on the RAPIER design, but they had comparable masses and amounts of fuel. I used the rockets for a total of 60 delta-v in reaching a 112 km circular orbit.

I'm a big fan of the turbojet+2 48-7S engines arrangement. Most of my SSTO shuttles use it. I'll have to re-fly some of them. Perhaps other changes have indeed made them much easier to use too.

I guess the autoswitching does at least solve the asymmetric flameout issue if you have more than one, or have they fixed that for the other jet engines too?

My first career mode science pod thing to LKO, leaving me wishing I'd researched larger engines before trying to get it up there:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Still, it got there so I'm content :D

With regards to whatever optimisations happened, excellent job. Loading times, particularly loading up the game initially, are much better. I'm still getting low FPS around Kerbin when I look through the atmosphere or at it from orbit, but that's because of limited hardware. Framerate in space and on moons is far smoother :D

I have to agree with the people thinking the rapier makes space planes easy (not saying it is too easy, just easy). Using mods it takes me at bare minimum an hour to design one that will get orbital and these things are really more useless than anything.

First thing I did in .23 is head over tot he sph. 5 minutes later I was in space.

Just finished downloading KSP 0.23, and OH MY GOSH IT'S SO SLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW SQUAD WHAT ARE YOU TRYING TO DO MAKE THE GAME LIKE CRYSIS 3? PLEASE PATCH.

Go to the settings and check the "physics delta" setting. The closer it is to the right the "slower" but maybe smoother it'll be. At least thats how it was on something i had in 0.22 that had a ton of parts.

Could also be mods, if you have any installed currently. I'm trying to track down which mods are causing my problems atm. I could just wait for them to get updated I guess...

Thats odd I am running lowest posible settings, and my horizon Lag is just terible i was launching 60 parts SSTO and was still runing like 1 second took 2 seconds. I am guesing my 512 mb eadeon is getting old for KSP :-(

Im happy with many changes and fixes. (regarding to changelog)

But as for the "big performance improvement" I am totally dissapointed. At least I cant notice any performance impacts right now.

Thanks for patch Squad. But at least for me there is no fps improvement. Only loading times are little bit less...which I dont care^^

WT..WT...WTH...do I read it correctly?

* [Windows-Only] 6-DOF Device Support:

- 6-DOF input devices such as the Space Navigator are now supported both as camera and flight controllers.

- Scroll Lock will toggle the device mode in flight.

- Due to driver limitations this is a Windows-only feature for now. We're ready to implement support in OSX and Linux as soon as those drivers become available.

Does this means I can use TrackIR now? Or is this only for the Space Navigator?

Need to find out now...that would be nice :)

With the tweakables now enabling limiting thrust on solid boosters as well, I toyed around with them a little, and in certain rocket builds I found that reducing their thrust to 80% would gain me up to 2000 meters more than at 100% due to atmosphere friction, and the fact that they consume fuel slowly and don't fight against air pressure as much at such high speeds early on deep in the atmosphere. Can this make solid boosters finally see some play instead of the classic asparagus setup?

Is it just me or does it seems that jets don't suddenly flame out anymore?

I put a (non-rapier) space plane into sub orbital this morning and there was a definite drop in thrust (but not a total flame out) before I shut them down and engaged rockets.

As I understand it, jet engines will automatically throttle down before flaming out. I know I was nursing a good bit of delta-v out of my turbojet even after the IntakeAir resource read 0, though the thrust was dropping fast.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.