The Grand 0.23 Discussion Thread

SQUAD

I think the ability to transfer science from the experiment part to the capsule is the undersold game-changer of the update. With this, you don't need to try and get a ridiculously heavy lander all the way back from Eve to get a good science payout, and you can do an actual Apollo-style moon mission (as in, carry the surface samples home in the command module.)

Yup. Between that and the change in the material sciences bay and goo container, I've started placing those parts on transfer stages, and then moving the results to the capsule before I drop the transfer stage. I'm also placing them on the drop tanks of my high-delta-v munar (and now minmus) landers. The only thing that comes all the way back is a capsule and a parachute, and the only thing I transmit are crew reports. Hmmm... I wonder if I can do an eva report, pull it from the capsule, do an eva report in another biome, and then put the first one back. Too late to test tonight, but I'll definitely test it tomorrow. Though since EVA reports transmit at 100%, that wouldn't gain much.

Landing legs now have working hydraulics, which are horribly underpowered and squish under the weight of any good-sized full fuel tank. Also a major pain for any base builders who use legs as support, because they can squish under weight, the ability for units to dock together is now very difficult.

Hi Squad,

Recreated my forum account to just to say this.

0.23 is awesome.

I love the tweakables, the new science system gives the game some nice new depth and I've now started building more ships with multiple science parts to gather more science in one mission, challenge leads to inspiration. :)

And the optimization is awesome, it doubled my old part count limit and my frame rate only dropped slightly, badass stations here I come. :D Also there are certainly less physics 'hiccups' that sometimes resulted in unwanted Mun/Lander interactions.

All in all, Awesome.

Edited by Slouch

You can now switch suspension modes (also in the VAB thanks to tweakables) between locked and unlocked - so if you have problems just lock suspension on all legs and it will work just like before 0.22

Edited by jcraft

Well get into the game today and WOW did .22 make this game feel different, adding science objectives - career mode, new parts and a tech tree what fun!! So much content in the same period it took to release the .23 update (not sure if the man hours were the same but time-frame wise). So why does .23 feel virtually unchanged? I feel like the only thing that seems new is the science archives which in all honesty come off as pretty much useless to me...Why do I care what experiments I've performed when I have all the parts? Why would I care even if I didn't, for nostalgia's sake? I know where I haven't been based on which celestial bodies have flags on them...so...why do I need this? Spent about 5 minutes in the archives before leaving them and probably will never open it again - there's literally no reason for ever opening that tab ever again. (sorry to dev who spent all that time developing that feature...I saw it once and I was very impressed, great work - but it's useless *sadface*) - a tab with last year's super bowl scores would be just as useful to me :(

Basically I just feel like I'm in 0.22 with a new hybrid engine and a science lab I don't see why I need either...sure the tweaking is nice, but it doesn't feel any different...it's a minor change and makes my ships a bit more capable...woohoo? As a hardcore fan I have been on the edge of my seat waiting for this and once I read the patch notes I was kind of nervous...get in the game this evening and my fears were confirmed :( I suppose I'll be shelving KSP until 0.24 :*( Please add something cool next patch! Maybe I'll play around with the new hybrid engine a bit...but my SSTO's are already perfect :( mmeeeeehhh am I being a negative nancy or do you guys feel let down by this patch tooooo? :((((

well you asked if your been a negative Nancy and yes you are, if you expect any game in dev to be all about adding new shiny things that you can see maybe you should not play any games under dev as this update was to tackle performance issues bug fixes and smooth over some of the stuff 0.22, but again I should not have to tell you that as you can clearly read your self, after all you taken the time to whine and complain that there is no shiny things for you to play with.

Also in my opinion you just given away your right to complain about lag or other performance issues as you clearly do not care much about those issues.

I just fiddled around with those on Eve using someones .23 file. Locking legs before landing worked like you want it to, but they are a little more susceptable to shock now so I had to brake a bit more. It also helped a lot on the brief base assembly I tried on Mun

I just fiddled around with those on Eve using someones .23 file. Locking legs before landing worked like you want it to, but they are a little more susceptable to shock now so I had to brake a bit more. It also helped a lot on the brief base assembly I tried on Mun

You can always lock them AFTER landing - they will simply expand to maximum length after a short while.

Thanks, Squad, for all of the work you put into this. I am quite pleased with .23. Updated Minmus ROCKS! The science lab and transferable experiments have me building stations, bases, and rovers again. You did a great job of creating the synergy that was missing in .22. I understand now why you dropped resourcing as science is the resource to be gathered and processed. Brilliant! The science archive does a great job of showing me what I've tapped out and where there is still science to be had.

In addition, the updated VAB stuff looks good, and tweakables open up new design paths. Throw the performance optimizations in on top of all this, and all I can say is KUDOS!

I dont want the legs to be locked. I surely like the idea that there are now suspensions on the legs but why dont they just absorb the shock and push back out to go then into locked mode? That would make my life so much easier.

From what I've heard the landing legs have been tweaked so that they no longer crumple like that. Only way to be sure though is to test them out!

I love tweakables. I wish they would have made the deployable docking port tweakable as well, but I suppose that can come in a future update.

I haven't played .23 yet, but... they DIDN'T make that one tweakable? That was my primary reason for liking tweakables!

I underestimated how much I would love being able to steer with the standard gear bay. Just taxi'd around KSC at 20m/s in a small plane after landing and parked it neatly in front of the VAB. Another feature that makes the game much more fun :D

Anyway, 5 hours of playtime after downloading, here's a 'review':

- Performance is much, much, much better. I'm overshooting Kerbals on EVA because I'm not used to the smoothness of the game :P Even things in atmosphere are better, which is great for planes and vehicles on Kerbin.

- Science system is a million times better. I wasn't expecting one-time-only science experiments but after going through half of career mode yesterday evening and this morning it's nice to be forced to go elsewhere. The addition of the science lab makes science gathering a little more fun too.

- Linked to the point above, the R&D research history thing is great; can just check up on what experiments have been done rather than clicking and hoping for science

- I haven't noticed the effects of the adjust of existing (Kerbin and Mun) biomes to smooth them out or however it was phrased in the dev blog, but the addition of biomes elsewhere is another hour or two of exploration I now need to do :)

- Landing legs have stopped tipping things over, mostly. If you're using a heavy craft with any landing legs it's probably a good idea to have more than 3 or 4.

- I'll still land very carefully everywhere, but the change to actually displaying maximum impact velocities instead of just numbers (which may have been velocity anyway :P) is a welcome change. The tooltips in the VAB and SPH in general are far better.

- No more waiting 1-2 minutes for the game to load. It now takes 20 seconds even with mods installed (Kethane, MJ, KER, none of which work :P)

The only bad part of the entire update (that I have experienced so far) is the removal of the borders from the interface (e.g. from the resources panel). It looks a little odd in my opinion.

Ignoring that last bit, amazing work as (almost) always, SQUAD :D

I dont want the legs to be locked. I surely like the idea that there are now suspensions on the legs but why dont they just absorb the shock and push back out to go then into locked mode? That would make my life so much easier.

But it is working (almost) like that - you land with unlocked suspension to absorb the shock and then you can lock it, and it's not locking legs in their current state instead of that it will push back first and only then lock.

The overall experience with 0.23 is very good. Only thing is that with one time experiments, sending probes is not worth at all.

There should be more science parts in future releases aimed for probes (specifically rovers), something like a chemical analysis of soil.

Crazy question. When the game loads up, does the number in the bottom right hand corner change to 0.23? Cause my version is still on 0.22, yet steam says its updated, but I can't get any of the tweakables and funky stuff. Updated steam, no update to KSP. Deleted local files, deleted all mods. Reinstalled KSP, still no 0.23. Restarted PC, still no update. Uninstalled KSP, restarted PC, installed KSP, still no update.

I don't have 0.23 yet :(

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.