Capsule Science limit?

Is there a limit to how many science experiment results one capsule can hold? I have Jeb stuck on the Mun with a science ship and I want the full value of science points, so I expect the only way to get them is to transfer them into the rescue capsule I am sending to pick him up.

Thanks!

Since this is a how-to sort of a question, it has been moved to the gameplay questions sub-forum.

Thanks, ya didnt know where it would best fit. I didnt really think of it as a how-to, but I stand corrected.

I dont know if this has altered in 0.23 with the ability to move science by EVA. Certainly in previous versions I've had 15+ bits of data stacked up in various pod types/cans. Since this now appears to be a strategy I would imagine that there is enough room for anything you likely want to transfer. But, as said, I dont have a number...

Ok, its kind of rediculous, but I tried it out myself and you can load up a kerbal with at least (idk if more) 5 experiment results. But the first capsule you get can only hold 2; and you cant climb in with the rest, you have to dump the data.

Ok, its kind of rediculous, but I tried it out myself and you can load up a kerbal with at least (idk if more) 5 experiment results. But the first capsule you get can only hold 2; and you cant climb in with the rest, you have to dump the data.

Are you sure? Or that was just identical reports?

Visited Minmus yesterday and kind of got interested in same problem myself. Can't say for sure but I didn't get anything saying something like - "you can't store more experiments here". I was bringing different EVA reports and different biome samples.

This is something I'm not totally sure of, and part of the reason is that the game gives confusing/conflicting information about it.

This much seems to be certain:

• Crew reports: can only hold 1 in total, which is different from all other stuff. Fortunately, you can transmit crew reports without data loss so always transmit them as soon as you make them, never store them.
  • EVA reports: can hold multiple reports (unknown how many) PROVIDED they're all from different places. Cannot hold multiple copies of EVA reports from same location.
  • Surface samples: as EVA reports.

Other Data (Goo, Material, thermometer, etc.)

This seems somewhat iffy. I THINK that they work like EVA reports, in that you can store as many as you can gather provided they're all from different places.

The really weird part is for Goo and Material. When you have these in your pocket and enter a capsule, you get a message saying the capsule can't hold that type of data, so you can't go inside without dumping them. But despite this, you do actually save the data, as is shown when you recover the capsule. And I do know I've done this for 2 Goos exposed in different locations, which I why I think this works like EVA reports.

I recovered a capsule last night (new career mode) from a Mun orbit with :

15 near space EVA reports, one from each Mun biome.

2 high space EVA reports, one each for Kerbin and Mun.

1 surface EVA report, 1 surface sample, and 1 crew report from my landing point on Kerbin.

So 20 science gains from activities, plus one more from recovering a Mun orbit vessel.

I also radioed back 3 other crew reports while in flight; high space Kerbin, high space Mun, near space Mun.

I have a question, though. I see posts from people who say their Kerbals have the data from the Goo Canister and/or the Materials Bay. How does one collect said data? When clicking on the canister or bay after an observation, I see only an option to review the data (at which point you can transmit, save, or reset). Is transfer to a Kerbal something that can only be done while they're EVA? I haven't tried that yet.

Update: Son of a gun, you can collect results from experiments while EVA. Never knew that.

Edited by StuLong

The really weird part is for Goo and Material. When you have these in your pocket and enter a capsule, you get a message saying the capsule can't hold that type of data, so you can't go inside without dumping them. But despite this, you do actually save the data, as is shown when you recover the capsule. And I do know I've done this for 2 Goos exposed in different locations, which I why I think this works like EVA reports.

I haven't seen this unless I accidentally had two goo or mat-sci results from the same location, which is the same behavior you get with EVA reports. I'll pay more attention next time.

I put up a mothership around Mun and have been jumping down to hit different biomes with all my equipment and coming back up. I have my kerbal move them to the mothership's pod. I currently have 40+ experiments stashed in the mothership and have not yet encountered a problem.

Do you get the same amount as returning the goo/jr if you empty them using the science pod and reset, but don't transmit? So can you reuse 1 goo pod for several runs if you store and reset vs bringing a bunch of goo pods?

Do you get the same amount as returning the goo/jr if you empty them using the science pod and reset, but don't transmit? So can you reuse 1 goo pod for several runs if you store and reset vs bringing a bunch of goo pods?

That is my understanding. I EVA pick up results all the time, and I always get the full turnin amount. I've never reset the goo/jr afterwards, but I doubt that will change anything.

• 3 months later...

Lil bit of necro here but I just obtained some hard results that are pertinent to this question.

I was able to stuff a Lander Can with 30 pieces of data. When I strapped a control chair to the outside of a capsule the Kerbonaut was able to transport nearly 70 pieces of data while in the chair and survive the re-entry. Pretty sure thats not what they intended but none the less.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.