BioMass Ongoing Development

Roboto

In my role as a cheerleader, and to help start coming up with documentation on how BioMass works from a player's perspective, I made a flowchart for Classic Biomass

ClassBioMass.jpg

We're fans of TAC-Life Support here at BioMass, so we've shown how the Classic parts of Biomass integrate with both the stock KSP game and TAC-Life Support.

Next time, a flow chart to show just how complex the more difficult BioMass settings are.

Has this been updated for TAC 0.9?

We are in the process of working on a big update. Prior releases do not use the same densities as TAC life support, but I believe there is a post in the TAC LS thread that says how to configure TAC LS to work with BioMass+Science

One of the parts of the coming update will (hopefully) be the ability to change difficulty level. This means that if you are a more casual player or love the original BioMass, you can play that way. If you want a harder version, however, that will be available.

To help explain how the harder parts work, I have constructed a series of flowcharts. Today's flow chart focuses on gas compressors. Bold boxes are normal KSP resources. Dotted lines and boxes are optional interactions with other mods.

Compressors.jpg

Next time I'll show how the Greenhouse use some of the above gasses to produce biomass.

Another day, another flowchart.

Probably the most important part in BioMass is the Greenhouse. It is in the greenhouse that oxygen, carbon dioxide, water and light interact to produce biomass. Before you run from the Kraken, don't try and take the entire figure in. Focus instead on the output you want (oxygen, for example), and follow it backward to see what inputs are necessary. I will try and redo the classic flowchart in a similar way.

Key:

• Lines going through the grey "Greenhouse" rectangle show a reaction direction.
  • When lines combine in the grey "Greenhouse" rectangle, that means they are all required for that reaction.
  • Dark boxes are Squad resources.
  • Dashed lines lead to/from other BioMass parts
  • Dotted lines lead to/from other mods
  • Dotted lines around rectangles are other mods

Greenhouse.jpg

Summary:

The major difference between the Classic greenhouses and the other play types is that Classic Greenhouses all produce oxygen, but different greenhouses produce different things: Yellow produces Food, Red produces BioMass, and all Blue just produces oxygen. Other levels of difficulty have all production types in a single greenhouse.

There are four different reactions and one function that can happen in the Greenhouse. Luckily most of these are "always on" reactions, so you don't need to turn them on or off; just provide the correct inputs and it should Just Work.

1.) Germination. In the presence of IR light (which can be turned on/off), Seeds turn into BioMass

2.) Respiration. Plants are live and, like animals, require oxygen to live. Luckily for us animals, plants happen to produce excess oxygen in the light. In the dark, however, plants take in oxygen and produce CO2 and water by breaking down sugars. This means you need to keep your greenhouses in sunlight (or turn the lights on) to keep your BioMass from completely disappearing. Put another way: O2+BioMass-->CO2+water

3.) Growth (photosynthesis). BioMass+CO2+Water+light--->BioMass. NOTE: THE FLOW CHART SHOWS O2 NEEDED FOR PHOTOSYNTHESIS> THIS IS AN ERROR AND I'LL FIX IT SOON). Note there is a second type of growth that takes place in the presence of WasteWater. WasteWater photosynthesis results in faster accumulation of BioMass, and also produces Water as a byproduct.

4.) Reproduction. When a greenhouse fills with the maximum amount of BioMass, the BioMass will start to produce seeds, which can be stored, used to start empty greenhouses, or help make fuel, gasses, or food.

5.) Harvest. This is one of the few things that can happen in the greenhouse that isn't a biological reaction. When you activate the Harvest button on the Greenhouse, BioMass is converted into BioCake, which can be used by other parts to either make fuel, gasses, or food.

Next time, we'll look at another simple part: the Koylent (food) maker

Edited by seanth

Coming back after summer hiatus. Going to be one of those annoying people. I checked the gethub and it seems to not have been updated since February. Any version for .24?

We are in the process of working on a big update.

Today's part: the Bioreactor.

Bioreactor.jpg

Whether you are playing Classic or not, the BioReactor works in essentially the same way: you put grown biological material into it, along with gas and electric charge, and out comes gas and LiquidFuel. As is often the case, the more complex version gives you more choice and control.

In the simplest case, you have BioCake+CO2+H2+ElectricCharge-->O2+LiquidFuel+CO2+H2. As the previous flow charts have shown, you can take the O2 and compress it to make Oxidizer, and take the H2 and make MonoPropellant. If you are also playing with the Kethane mod, you can convert Kethane to KethaneGas and use the alternate reaction KethaneGas+O2+BioCake+ElectricCharge-->O2+LiquidFuel+CO2+H2

Technical detail: Why, you might ask, are there the same gasses going in as coming out? The reactions are mass balanced, but the amount of a given gas going in does not equal the amount of the same gas coming out. The details are more detailed than people probably care for at this point, and I might go into the details of these chemical reactions in later posts.

Sheesh. Did I mention details?

Edited by seanth

C9yeYXq.png

We are getting very close now.

All of the major coding work is complete and is now being tested. We still need to convert existing parts over to the new BioGen module and make sure everything is polished up nice, and once that is done, we will hand it over to you. Unless something major goes wrong, I feel confident in saying you will have it some time this week!

Features that are definitely making it into this build...

All bubbly parts

The Aquatic Green House(new part), MicroBiome, and BioReactor have each been updated with a bubbly particle system!

2 Manager windows

1. When focused on a craft that includes a Biogen module, you can activate and monitor modules through a custom BioManager window.

2. In the space center you can view all craft with BioGen modules and force them to update if needed.

Persistent Modules

Each activated bioGen module should automatically keep its resource values up-to-date even when the ship is not focused. Currently this works by checking craft every time you enter the space center and calculating the values based on the time between saves.

Mod Independence

BioMass will finally be one coherent build, and will NOT need other mod installs to operate.

More helpful error outputs

I tried to add error messages and log entries when parts or resources are missing. Hopefully these will help when you can't figure out why things aren't working right.

Possible addition.

Difficulty levels are still in progress, So I'm not sure if they will make this build. We'll see how this week goes.

Edited by Roboto

One last part. Today is the MicroBiome

ComplexMicrobiome.jpg

The MicroBiome is especially handy because it will break down any (defined) carbon containing resource, BioMass, Seeds, BioCake, Food, Waste (which we assume to be methanediol (CH2(OH)2). We'll explain why we assume this later), Kethane, KethaneGas, and even LiquidFuel (which we assume to be cryogenically cooled kerosene, RP-1 (C12H26). Again, why later). Given enough time, any one of these inputs will result in CO2 and H2, but there are intermediate products that you can remove if you desire.

For example, there is an interesting reversible reaction that takes place in the MircoBiome. KethaneGas, in the presence of oxygen, will yield CO2 and H2. But CO2 and H2 will yield KethaneGas and O2. Therefore, if you want the reaction to favor the creation of CO2 and H2, you need to use a compressor to remove the CO2, the H2, or both. Conversely, if you want you recover KethaneGas and O2, you use compressors to remove the KethaneGas or the O2, or both.

In this way, you dictate what this space-going compost heap yields. Also note that adding water allows you to create WasteWater for use in Greenhouses for a boost to growth.

I keep thinking it might be nice to have MysteryGoo in the MicroBiome, but I'm not sure MysteryGoo is actually a goo or whether it is a tiny Kraken.

Oooooooh. I'm excited.

Tonight I was able to get difficulty level choices working. Credit where credit is due: the difficulty switching is built off of some TAC Life Support code that was originally modified by the forum user Jaraxle. Get ready for an image rich post.

In the Space Center, in addition to seeing the BioMonitor button, right now there is a second button. Push it and you are presented with a window letting you choose from various difficulty levels, including what we call "Classic"...which is just the original BioMass version.

SpaceCenter-Classic.png

Go into the VAB/SPH and you'll see all the Classic parts. For example, Classic has the three greenhouses (blue, red, and yellow) in the Science parts.

Science-Classic.png

If you exit to the Space Center again, change the difficulty level to Easy or higher, and use Module Manager to reload the database (alt+F11 to open the MM reload window), the changes in difficulty translates into changes in parts.

SpaceCenter-Easy.png

If you now go into the VAB/SPH, the greenhouses are now under Utilities, the yellow greenhouse is no longer available, and the red greenhouse is smaller.

Utilities-Easy.png

Cool, right?

Of course the parts behave differently at different difficulty levels, too.

Hopefully we will have an open test version of BioMass ready in the next few days.

Thank you for keeping us up to date!

I'm eager to test the new BioMass :)

Will it be easy to alter production processes via MM patches?

Do you have any plans regarding compatability with other mods (eg. Karbonite, RealFuels, More Fuel Types/"NEARFuels",etc.)?

Regards,

Stage

Will it be easy to alter production processes via MM patches?

Do you have any plans regarding compatability with other mods (eg. Karbonite, RealFuels, More Fuel Types/"NEARFuels",etc.)?

It will be extremely easy to modify production processes via MM patches, though we encourage people to at least try out the pre-packaged difficulties since they become closer and closer to realistic as one increases difficulty. In fact, once we hit our test release, I'd be happy to work with people to help make MM patches that will let BioMass play nicely with other mods.

As for compatibility, BioMass under Classic "difficulty" should work well Tac Life Support. Easy and higher difficulties will also work with TAC LS, but will also tie in with Kethane. Once we hit our test release I'll make sure to outline what some of our assumptions are as far as how in-game gasses relate to real-world materials so people can make patches to make BioMass work with the "realism" mods out there. It will ship with settings appropriate for the Kerbal universe (with a few compromises to make it work with TAC), but again, we'll outline things.

A few examples of our assumptions:

-Kethane is the same as liquid methane. All our balanced stochiometry makes this assumption, so replacing "Kethane" with "methane" will make thing work fine.

-Squad's "oxidizer" is liquid oxygen. Again, replacing "oxidizer" with "liquid oxygen" used in other mods will be a 1:1 swap

In both cases some minor production rate changes would have to be made for different densities, but again, that is trivial.

To better understand what I mean related to Kerbal vs real-world materials, check out Thoughts on Kerbal Resources and Making a case for using (seemingly) bonkers resource densities

So, yeah. Ping me when we release open tests and we can work on making MM patches (that we can package with the final)

Edited by seanth

• 2 weeks later...

Better late than never!

Today we are posting the public test version of BioMass for you guys to try out!

FIRST: A word of warning. It is important that you understand, that since this version is a complete rebuild, it is NOT compatible with past BioMass versions in any way. We suggest that only those that are interested in testing the build and helping us identify bugs and fine tune things, should install this version.

If you are wanting BioMass for gameplay, and will be unhappy with it if you find bugs or errors, we suggest you hold off until we get through a round of public testing.

If you are still certain you would like to install the TEST VERSION of BioMass, You may download here: Download

That said, we tried to pack as much as we could feature-wise into this release, so we didn't have much time to test things large scale or for long periods.

Main Items to be Tested:

General bug hunting... mistakes, misspellings, inaccuracies, missing buttons, images, models etc.. basically, let us know if and where we screwed up.

Craft and station builds with multiple BioMass Modules as would be expected during normal game play. Run them for extended periods of time. Deplete them, over fill them, abuse and mistreat them. Try to break them. No, really. I'm serious. If you can find a way to break it without smashing it into something, I want to know.

BioMass attempts to keep resource levels uptodate for modules that are enabled, even when you are away from the craft. The primary way this happens is upon entering the space center scene. We need to know if the updates are accurate and are functioning appropriately for the majority of the time.

New generator. We redeveloped the module generator to for biological processes to allow smaller numbers, compensate for timeWarp, and more accurate calculations than the vanilla generator. We just need to verify this works for the majority of circumstances. Again, mistreat it.

Difficulty switching. You will now be able to choose which parts are available to you, and how realistic the gameplay is through a window in the space center. Currently Medium and Hard difficulties are the same as Easy. We would like some input on play balancing for easy mode, and any other insight or suggestions when it comes to any difficulty level. NOTE: I have no idea what the consequences of switching difficulty with existing craft out there will be. So, should you feel like testing that out to see what happens, go for it!

known Issues:

-Medium and Hard difficulties are currently the same as Easy

-tech tree, part cost etc.. are all untouched since last release

[Algae house] has a slight pause in its rotation.

[MicroBiome] *rare* bubbles pass through the top of the model

[Koylent] animation plays once, plays in reverse on deactivate

Remember, this is the first public test of a totally new build, it's bound to have issues. Let us know about anything, bugs or issues, suggestions or otherwise that you feel is important to the development of BioMass!

THANKS FOR PLAYING!

Edited by Roboto

So am I understanding correctly you have written your own conversion .dll and no longer rely on Kethane?

and if not what about the open resource system? I as reading up on it the other day and it reminded me of you guys. a recall you were looking for a new resource management system. it may fit the bill, and if not I am sure they would work with you to make it do what you need.

also have you looked into KSP-AVC? if you include support for it that would be swell as it will keep us informed of new updates right away.

Edited by Bit Fiddler

So am I understanding correctly you have written your own conversion .dll and no longer rely on Kethane?

That is correct. Roboto wrote a brand new generator that should allow parts to create the illusion that things grow even when the craft is not focused. There's a biomass resource monitoring window as well. I hacked up some code that lets players change their play difficulty in game.

Having said that, some of our parts do generate KethaneGas on Easy and higher, so BioMass and the Kethane mod are built to play well together.

and if not what about the open resource system? I as reading up on it the other day and it reminded me of you guys. a recall you were looking for a new resource management system. it may fit the bill, and if not I am sure they would work with you to make it do what you need.

We do have one part that would work well with the ORS, but our focus has been on getting other aspects of BioMass working. After we feel like things are working correctly, I'll start thinking more about atmospheric resource extraction and ORS

also have you looked into KSP-AVC? if you include support for it that would be swell as it will keep us informed of new updates right away.

I am aware of it, but have not looked at it closely. I will look closer at it, though, since you brought it up.

To help highlight the differences between Classic and other levels of play, I put together a first draft of a series of tables showing the inputs, outputs, and whether a process can be turned on/off. It can be found at https://www.dropbox.com/s/a9aweh6oot9yavq/BioMassGuideV1.pdf?dl=0

Hopefully, it will be apparent that the parts do the same things, but Classic is less complex. Things which are biological or chemical processes that the player can not turn on/off are shown in thick green lines.

I'm sure there are typos ect, but hey, closer to a guide.

cool. I have been in love with this mod since I first started playing KSP and found TAC and Biomass. but I have yet to get it to work. so I keep hoping and come back to read the forum now and then to check on progress. I really want a "fuel maker" but di not want some cheat type of item to just make it. I wanted to have some realistic method to do this along with water purifiers carbon extractors etc. So this mod has been one of my must have mods all along. lol I have made every station I build have the parts even though I have yet to get one to actually produce fuels. no worries however. my craft designs are based on aesthetics rather than functionality for the most part. so I am not worried because "I'll be too busy looking good." and your parts help imensly. they have just the right amount of "hi-tech" yet simple Kerbalish designs.

cool. I have been in love with this mod since I first started playing KSP and found TAC and Biomass. but I have yet to get it to work.

Well, we definitely want to hear from you, then. Give the new version a shot, and let's see if we can get things up and running for you. Along the way maybe we'll be able to improve things, too.

Seriously, PM me.

another idea...

not sure if this would help with memory foot print or just be the same, but what about making your various tanks all be one part. then use the same idea as the modular fuels etc. where we select the contents. and similar to procedural tanks select a texture. and also similar to tweakscale to select a size which will update the tank volume for us.

I guess I could probably make a mod myself to do all this... I have made the radial tanks with a kethane skin for previous versions of biomass so I have the texture already for that. and in looking at this I notice you removed the Hydrogen tank. I know it is just monopropellant. But I liked the red tank for aesthetics and have used it many places. these are now broken as the hydrogen tank is gone. so I will have to remake them and the kethane tanks anyway.

Edited by Bit Fiddler

and in looking at this I notice you removed the Hydrogen tank. I know it is just monopropellant. But I liked the red tank for aesthetics and have used it many places. these are now broken as the hydrogen tank is gone.

I'm sorry to hear about that. If you still have an older version of BioMass you could grab the hydrogen tank and put it in the newer version, but your are correct: we removed the red tank because it was sort of unnecessary. I mean, why have a tank for holding uncompressed hydrogen?

As a general note, I am fairly certain the test version of BioMass we have out _will_ break older saved games. As Roboto warned, don't install the new test version unless you are willing to start new save-games.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.