If we can provide translated text, will squad consider add Chinese support in KSP?

Hello.

I'm frighter from Deeptimes, a bbs focusing on space and sci-fi games. There are many people wants this game but the language is pushing them away. So we are organizing a translation for KSP in Chinese, then more people can enjoy this great game (And that should means more sell, even we know there are many copyright problems in China). We are just volunteers and lack of technical support. Now we have found some slow way to do it, and made some progress(Look at the example picture from TimChen ), but every time you update the game we (possibly) need to redo that, even most of the strings are same.

Example

This one just shows the possibility of put Chinese into KSP and show them correctly.

225913jk4xrdrd3qiqxkom.jpg

Guest Brody_Peffley

It looks nice. And I do hope squad does add different laguanges.

The problem with translating is you need more people. And nobody gets paid in squad. So Theres not going to be alot of people at all to translate for no money.

Edited by Brody_Peffley

The problem with translating is you need more people. And nobody gets paid in squad. So Theres not going to be alot of people at all to translate for no money.

I'd translate the entire game to spanish if it helps getting more people to play it.

Not like Squad can't do it, but... you get the idea. :)

Not sure if Squad already do this in some way, but might it be possible to replace baked-in text with baked-in variables instead? Put all of the text in external files such as "english.translation.xml/json/whatever", "simplified.chinese.translation....", "welsh.translation....", and have the game pull out the relevant text from the relevant file when needed.

Given the rather large community of players and hackers here, Squad might even get a few of the translations as crowdsourced efforts for free.

Not sure if Squad already do this in some way, but might it be possible to replace baked-in text with baked-in variables instead? Put all of the text in external files such as "english.translation.xml/json/whatever", "simplified.chinese.translation....", "welsh.translation....", and have the game pull out the relevant text from the relevant file when needed.

Given the rather large community of players and hackers here, Squad might even get a few of the translations as crowdsourced efforts for free.

Splendid idea. This is very similar to how Minecraft handled the issue, if I'm not mistaken.

I believe the devs have said that internationalization is going to wait until it's closer to release, so it's not like the fact that it hasn't happened is an indicator that it won't happen. Someone has a french translation up on Spaceport if I remember correctly, so it's possible that you could go that route and not even have to involve the developers before they're ready for the official translation to be done.

I'm pretty damn sure the devs get paid. I dont think (Even though they are probably awesome enouh) a group of people in a company would spend several years making a game that they charge you for without being paid.

Being a bit of a grammar-**** myself who cringes upon seeing terrible software translations, I'm opened to giving a hand with translating the stuff to my native language, as long as it doesn't require any coding and is just about translating the words and sentences. It shouldn't be a huge job, but it takes a fairly well founded knowledge of both languages. So if Squad is interested, PM me.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.