[0.23] Alternis Kerbol - Release thread - [v0.1, Jan. 3] (development halted)

NovaSilisko

NovaSilisko;

First off, I want to say I appreciate all your hard work on this. The screenshots look fantastic, and Jool actually looks like a gas giant. :)

Unfortunately, I've run into a few snags running your mod:

1) Kerbin seems to be tidally locked to the Sun (doesn't rotate)

2) The moons are in new positions around Kerbin, but Jool seems to be in the same place as before

3) The outer mesh of the Sun totally engulfs Kerbin and the innermost planet.

Your mod did not crash, and the framerate was higher using your mod than the game untouched, so that's pretty cool right there.

I took some screenshots. I'll post them here when I get a spare moment later on.

Edited by GDJ
Addressed the wrong person. OOPS

I really, really love this mod, i love having all the extra stuff to do within only a couple hours of ingame flight time, it really changes it up.

I have however, noticed that Minmus does not have an SOI anymore, no matter how close you get to it, i think its just to close to jool with too small of a mass.

I really, really love this mod, i love having all the extra stuff to do within only a couple hours of ingame flight time, it really changes it up.

I have however, noticed that Minmus does not have an SOI anymore, no matter how close you get to it, i think its just to close to jool with too small of a mass.

It does have an SOI, but it is very tiny (something around 20km from the surface).

I haven't touched Laythe's mass, its SOI should be identical to the stock one. However, as noted in the known issues part, there's definitely something screwy with Jool as a whole, also present in the stock game... I managed to get into an orbit around Vall in the regular game without having any sort of orbital insertion. It seems that you sort of "overshoot" the SOI entry, and by the time the game catches up, you've moved a bit, so it puts you in with a slightly different position and velocity. The escape node at apoapsis is weird, though...

Could the size of the SOI be affected by the other nearby bodies, which did change? The weird elliptical orbit with the exit node at the apoapsis was pretty strange. It should be easy to replicate by entering an orbit with periapsis at 55 km, and then raising the apoapsis to get an escape -- you should get the escape node before actually reaching escape velocity, and it will be very apparent in map view (the orbit looks a bit like a horseshoe with a small gap at the top). Perhaps spacing the moons out a little bit more would solve this issue. The original Jool system was far too tight anyway, and even the stock game had a number of SOI-related bugs because of it.

I got an idea how it first occurs. When you load it seems the save doesn't "sync" and you can see that at the space center. It's usually dusk, and the atmosphere is strangely visible. Then when you launch ANYTHING it puts you in solar orbit, and when you revert back, it says "OH, I'M DOING IT WRONG" and fixes itself.

Does anyone have any real way to reliably reproduce the solar orbit bug? I can't seem to get it to occur with any level of consistency.

As far as having the active craft be put into solar orbit, just load the game, load an existing save, then attempt to launch anything. The craft will be in solar orbit.

For having an inactive craft be put into solar orbit: Put a craft in orbit of Kerbin, close the game, launch the game, load your save, open the tracking station. The craft that was in orbit around Kerbin is now in solar orbit.

NovaSilisko;

First off, I want to say I appreciate all your hard work on this. The screenshots look fantastic, and Jool actually looks like a gas giant. :)

Unfortunately, I've run into a few snags running your mod:

1) Kerbin seems to be tidally locked to the Sun (doesn't rotate)

2) The moons are in new positions around Kerbin, but Jool seems to be in the same place as before

3) The outer mesh of the Sun totally engulfs Kerbin and the innermost planet.

Your mod did not crash, and the framerate was higher using your mod than the game untouched, so that's pretty cool right there.

I took some screenshots. I'll post them here when I get a spare moment later on.

That's the sort of thing that happens when it can't change the solar system due to whatever reason, it collapses in on itself I guess. If it happens again, can you check the console (alt+F2 to open it), and scroll up through it until you find anything in red text, usually talking about NullReferenceExceptions. Also, as soon as you quit the game after that happens, copy the contents of KSP_Data/output_log.txt to a pastebin entry. Also, make sure you've installed it correctly - the planet textures should be in KSP/GameData/AlternisKerbol/Textures, otherwise it might not load properly.

Super hard mode version: Incline Kerbin's orbit around Jool.

It appears that the Jool moons need to be spread out like... 2x as far as they are now, the outer ones not so much, but minmus/laythe definitely have some ... interesting artefacts from overlap with Jool's SOI.

Maybe it might be more effective (yet unrealistic) to replace Jool with Kerbin and vice versa with some rescaling of the planets/attributes?

This looks amazing, and I really want to play it, but the mod's not working for me.

I stuck the AlternisKerbal folder inside KSP/Gamedata, but my system's still the same. The debug console sees the new textures, but the're not applying, can anyone help?

EDIT: seems the problem wasn't AK related. None of my other plugins work in the cloned directory, but everything (including AK) works in the original directory.

Edited by Borkless

Hey guys sorry, but id like to try and ask again.. is there anyway I can just have the alternate lighting in this mod? I do love what your doing this is truly awesome, but im not quite ready to make the change. But I could use an fps boost on my current mission and.. well this lighting just looks better. The dark side of a planet looks much darker now as it should.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.