[0.23] Beastly Science - Scoop-O-Matic and more! (JAN0214)

BeastofChicken

Can you make a little surface sampler kit for the rover that will allow you to reset the scoop? I like it, but it is a little annoying that the scoop jr can only be used once.

Second this. That does seem rather self defeating, if I need a Kerbal nearby to reset a surface sampler might as well just use the Kerbal in the first place?

My thoughts to make it reusable are a sample storage container with power requirement (adds complexity penalty), and a "cleaning" cycle with both a power & time requirement, similar to how transmissions work. That gives the user the option of a quick & easy one-shot lander on the cheap, or a more complex & harder to deliver rover that can gather much more science but has to pause between each sample, or be even more complex to maintain power to the instrument while on the move.

sound workable?

Have you tried using the Ship Manifest?

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/62270-0-23-Ship-Manifest-%28Manage-Crew-Science-Resources%29-v0-23-3-1-5-26-Feb-14

It can move around science results and might accomplish what you are looking for.

Negatory, just tried it. Only a Kerbal can remove the science and that disables the experiment, unless you also have a lab (with two more Kerbals).

Doesn't need to be as complicated as I put out, just thinking for balance... But it'd be really nice to be able to reuse these kewl bits without bringing half a dozen extra. Or a Kerbal.

Edited by CatastrophicFailure

• 3 weeks later...

hmm is this still being worked on because these parts are awesome

Edit: especially since that scoop was ground breaking (get it) because after this was made lots of other mods sporting surface sample collectors of their own started popping up

Edited by Helix935

• 2 weeks later...

Hey everyone, sorry for the long hiatus on this. I'm back now with some more time on my hands. What with the release of stupid_chris's AdvancedAnimator mod, I'm hoping I can now do some things I couldn't do before.

It's looking like this mod still works with the new 23.5, let me know if you guys see anything that's off.

I'll be updating this mod, mid next week with two new parts (a larger sampler, and a smaller drill-like sampler) so stay tuned for that. If I get the chance, I'll also be updating the scoop-o-matic model with some new textures (getting rid of the bright colors) and a couple tweaks on the mesh I've been wanting to do.

It's looking like this mod still works with the new 23.5, let me know if you guys see anything that's off.

Some parts of the assemblies were changed BoC, you'd be safest checking your build references and rebuilding just to makes sure.

Hey everyone, sorry for the long hiatus on this. I'm back now with some more time on my hands. What with the release of stupid_chris's AdvancedAnimator mod, I'm hoping I can now do some things I couldn't do before.

I'll be updating this mod, mid next week with two new parts (a larger sampler, and a smaller drill-like sampler) so stay tuned for that. If I get the chance, I'll also be updating the scoop-o-matic model with some new textures (getting rid of the bright colors) and a couple tweaks on the mesh I've been wanting to do.

Love your MOD. I just captured my first asteroid, it took all day and I was surprised how little science I got. Any chance this Mod will work with asteroids?

The mod works beautifully, but has anyone else had the issue that the Parts Catalog hates it? It refuses to see Beastly Science as a mod category, though it will see it in the tag editor (God knows how that works though, I'm awful at it).

Did you install the mod after you installed part catalog?

Did you install the mod after you installed part catalog?

Yes, but that's true for most of my mods (and they do appear).

Thankfully, if you figure out how to use part catalog (I'm the only person in the world who had this problem), you can place it in an existing category.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well, I was going to download this, but the spaceport link is broke bcause apparently they shut down spaceport and moved to curse *only -just- learned this* so So much for getting this....as I can't find it and no alternate download links.

• 1 month later...

Thanks BeastofChicken, as he has said, Metal Wasp Industries has obtained exclusive distribution rights to the Beastly Science parts. They will be made available soon here and further requests and bug reports can be made there as well.

Cheers!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.