What will KSP become?

Kerbonautical

So recently I feel a bit lost when I try to think about what KSP will eventually be. Not so long ago I thought I had a reasonable idea of what to expect, but the recent Kerbalcon left me feeling more confused than anything. We all know that resources are currently not a priority and that science and multiplayer is the new focus but what exactly will it provide?

Were we even given examples of how science will be expanded? Does anybody know whats next? I feel that the days of major new features could be over and I really hope I'm wrong.

“The thing with contracts is that they’re not missions, per se,†Falanghe said. “They’re more like objectives that you subscribe toâ€â€you can take as many as you want. You take on a risk when you accept a contract because that contract may reward you when you complete them, but failing will harm your reputationâ€Â

Nice, "ferry Derp Kerman around" isn't going to be a feature. *\o/*

I can see how these features will definitely flesh the game out more, in fact I made a thread regarding exactly that a few months ago, my only concern is that the current feature set also needs some expansion still. Basically my hopes are that somewhere along the way things such as probes, space planes, space stations, rovers and possibly even bases one day end up having a use rather than being purely for bragging rights. Currently they aren't being integrated into the Science system very well and I hope that Squad slowly push toward rewarding us for our efforts at such things rather than nudging us toward designing basic rocket/lander combos for efficient progression.

Remember contracts, reputation, and currency are in a sense "resources" when you really break it down, and I know I will get a lot of flack for this but it is true in a way. You will have to balance your reputation by completing contracts while also making sure your within budget. While it isn't mining for like most people want, it will have serious backlash if you mess up too many contracts, or you go way beyond your budget. So while the resources that most had nerdgasmed over are not going in right now, there will a different type of resource management system I think a lot of people are overlooking due to their blind hatred of what they heard. There are mods out there that will for now fill in the void for more realistic things that some players want, heck I have considered using the life support one for over a month now but I also fear what it will do with what I am doing for fun. To me having to micro manage in a game is, in my eyes, kind of a game killer. In some games where they do real life activities I have a hard time doing those things when it comes down to it; I mean I can go out and fish and eat what I catch so why would I do it in game?

No, just delayed.

Delayed, simplified, dumbed down, and moved outside of the scope.

[citation needed]
Falange: I wanted it sometimes, and I un-wanted it other times. In the end, it takes away a gameplay element because it takes some of the guesswork and some of the trial and error and figuring out for yourself what the delta-V is. It might take some of the magic away. One of the great things about KSP is doing just what Chad was doing just now [Editor's note: this was Thursday afternoon, and Chad Jenkins was in the process of livesteaming his creation of a flying rocket-powered surfboard, killing two-dozen Kerbals in the process]. That ridiculous contraption he was doing, just trying to see if he could make it to the water, just shooting it on a rocket. If you make it too technical, it’s certainly possible to calculate it. But it’s like giving the answer to a puzzle sometimes, and I don’t know if we want that. The same applies to showing how much burn time you have remaining. I think there’s always this element of tension of trying to calculate in your head how much fuel you have left and if you’re going to make it. It’s like filling out the crossword puzzle for you.
I didn't expect other solar systems anyway.

Doesn't matter if you expected them or not. Anyways, they talked about procedural solar systems and seed sharing so that you could have the same systems as your friends. Now on that same PCGamer article they said they aren't coming.

I don't think that randomly generated systems are a good idea anyway. I prefer expanding the current system, it's got much more "character" than a randomly generated one could ever hope to have. It's better to have a single, high quality solar system with diverse, well polished planets than a random one consisting of planets that are variations on the same thing.

Also, KSP is ill suited for interstellar travel, with poor timewarp mechanics (no thrusting under high timewarp) and the way it's orbits work.

Nothing of note, really. Squad has decided that there will be no gameplay elements associated with sandbox mode, and that career mode will be dominant. Even with that being the case, if there's not interaction with the world around you, the game will feel like an exercise in futility.

I dont know what it will become.. But it seems pretty clear now that they are mainly trying to make the game easier for casual gamers which I think is sad..

I am really tired of games being dumbed down, especially a game like this that casual gamers have little interest in anyways

I really hope my fears are wrong and that they will again add something that will benefit the old time players as well.

I don't think that randomly generated systems are a good idea anyway. I prefer expanding the current system, it's got much more "character" than a randomly generated one could ever hope to have. It's better to have a single, high quality solar system with diverse, well polished planets than a random one consisting of planets that are variations on the same thing.

Also, KSP is ill suited for interstellar travel, with poor timewarp mechanics (no thrusting under high timewarp) and the way it's orbits work.

I disagree. "High quality" doesn't mean "more planets," that's quantity. Quality would be fleshing out the planets that are there with more interesting landing sites and atmospheric effects and actual repercussions for landing in very hostile environments like Eve.

As far as other systems go, it's the holy grail of space flight to visit other star systems and not including at least one or two other star systems (randomly generated or otherwise) is robbing players of that opportunity. New systems would provide the opportunity to yield new and interesting worlds without oversaturating the Kerbol system. For example, a hot gas giant orbiting really close to the sun would be very challenging and fun to explore, but in order to credibly make room for it in the Kerbol system you'd have to remove Moho, which is also a challenging and fun location to explore. Adding a new star system would alleviate that particular development obstacle.

I think of other star systems as the next logical progression in the game's built-in difficulty curve. Once you can get to Jool there's really no more challenge to be gained by adding other planets. You've already proven you can do it. Other star systems are a unique challenge because now you need to pack an incredible amount of delta-v, which then opens up the scene for fantastic new end-game technologies such as the warp drive that Harvester himself described as a real possible feature once upon a time. It's folly that a game like KSP be completely realistic when it already pushes the envelope with unrealistic technology like the super compact NERVA and RAPIER engines, and the unrealistically efficient ion engines. The precedent has clearly been set that gameplay will always win out over realism, and other star systems being in the game can only enhance gameplay.

It's just a shame that my opinion doesn't matter and the devs will probably never even read this thread let alone acknowledge the great feedback it contains. :/

Edited by tntristan12

I think in 2014 the development of KSP will continue but in a slower rate. Little new content will be added, as Squad will probably focus on improvements 'under the hood' and implementing various game modes (career, multiplayer). The need for new content will (partially) be compensated by modders, as they'll likely release rather interesting and enriching mods. Good examples of these nowadays are Kethane, Alternis, Cloud Mod, RealSolarSystem, and more.

I think in 2014 the development of KSP will continue but in a slower rate.

Is it possible for the cycles to be even slower than what they are now? dang.

Little new content will be added, as Squad will probably focus on improvements 'under the hood'

Which is the excuse they use for the "little new content" being added on every update.

The need for new content will (partially) be compensated by modders, as they'll likely release rather interesting and enriching mods. Good examples of these nowadays are Kethane, Alternis, Cloud Mod, RealSolarSystem, and more.

As it has been until now, compensating a mostly dead game that lives on by dumbing itself down to appeal to a wider audience. And then the new players keep on playing thanks to mods.

So yeah, 2014 will be the same as 2013, downhill.

Doesn't matter if you expected them or not. Anyways, they talked about procedural solar systems and seed sharing so that you could have the same systems as your friends. Now on that same PCGamer article they said they aren't coming.

The PCGamer article said nothing of that. There were no statements about that in there, only ramblings from a dev thinking about this feature.

I dont know what it will become.. But it seems pretty clear now that they are mainly trying to make the game easier for casual gamers which I think is sad..

I am really tired of games being dumbed down, especially a game like this that casual gamers have little interest in anyways

I really hope my fears are wrong and that they will again add something that will benefit the old time players as well.

How so? They certainly won't make the physics any easier. Besides, it's a sandbox game, even in career mode - nobody is telling you what to do. You can always do things the hard way or place restrictions on yourself if it feels too easy. You don't have to play by the game's rules - make up your own.

If the days of major new features are over, then we're just entering the days of major bug fixing.

the days of major new features for NOW are over. right now, they have a fairly stable product and need to polish the back end of things to make sure things run smooth, then they will add a new wave of goodies for us. remember we are in ALPHA :)

@boxman you said:

2 things: 1. you can get mods to make things harder on yourself, they exist, things like Deadly Re-entry IF its updated for .23, I personally do not use that mod so I do not keep track. There are others that rescale the planets and what not.

2. hate to break it to you, but the way the gaming industry right now as a whole is headed, its more towards casual gamers, as they are the larger portion of the consuming populace, so, it makes fiscal sense to tailor to them, but as others have said, Squad has essentially said: heres a universe, parts, go at it as you see fit, OH, you wanna have a 'goal'? heres career mode <including incarnations YET to be seen of career mode> have fun!

look boxman, they are also going to leave physics as they are, so, again, feel free to tailor how YOU play to YOUR chosen difficulty. If that means no time or physics warp to get to eeloo then no time or physics warp. what ever it means to you, do it, its your copy of the game :)

Edited by AlamoVampire

I see about 2/3 of the main focus elements of the game already being implemented.

whats left that has already said to be going to be implemented:

- more planets(namely another gas giant) and moons

- additions to career mode(money, reputation as they just announced)

- more parts

- multiplayer(in far future)

- resources(again far future)

- better aerodynamics

- re-entry effects to some degree

This doesn't include other updates that have not been mentions, the depth of each of these, such as the expansion of how many more planets, moons asteroids and comets. This list also doesn't include the continual addition of optimizations and expansions of already set ideas, such as more tweakables.

and FINALLY this doesn't include constant bug fixing and additional announcements that may not even be made, but could be(extra solar systems for example)

So i think its pretty early to start saying there is nothing but downhill left.

PS saying a game needs to be easy to appeal to the casual gamer is complete BS. Look at a game very similar to KSP.... Minecraft. It can be hard if you play it such, or strait up easy if you set yourself up for such also. Same applies to KSP.

Edited by MKI

How so? They certainly won't make the physics any easier. Besides, it's a sandbox game, even in career mode - nobody is telling you what to do. You can always do things the hard way or place restrictions on yourself if it feels too easy. You don't have to play by the game's rules - make up your own.

I actually want a decent career type of mode. I have already mastered pretty much everything you can do in sandbox mode as it is now and no longer have the feeling of achivement like once had. Thanks to this I have hardly even played this game lately, as it feels like i am repeating the same over and over again. Having something like resources would give me an actual purpose as well as add more challenges to the gameplay.

I understand where you are coming from though, as i felt like you and defended the game in same exact way just a few months ago. But with each time I play it i feel that the motivation and feeling of achievement is just vanishing. I have tried taking breaks from the game, but it is just not helping anymore.

I just want real purpose to go somewhere besides the short and easy science that you can complete in just a few hours.

I have also been trying some mods, but sadly most of them cause issues or stop working completely. Take for example the ball bearing mod i use now. It has not been updated since .20 or so and with latest version it became entirely unusable as it causes the game to crash after just a few launches and who knows if they will ever update it.

As hard as it is for you to believe now you might feel the same way one day. I have seen quite a few people here who had a similar experience.

I actually want a decent career type of mode. I have already mastered pretty much everything you can do in sandbox mode as it is now and no longer have the feeling of achivement like once had. Thanks to this I have hardly even played this game lately, as it feels like i am repeating the same over and over again. Having something like resources would give me an actual purpose as well as add more challenges to the gameplay.

Career mode was implemented 2 months ago, and still needs the other 2/3rds of the system to become anything like what is should be.

I bet if they implemented resources, and you mastered them, you would still be at the same state of mind.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.