Mun - Build, Land, Return speedrun

Challenge: Build a rocket, land it on the Mun and return to Kerbin as fast as possible in real time. You can use time warp, only real time matters.

Challenge guidance:

-make a new sandbox save file

-enter the VAB

-start the timer

-build anything you want

-land it on the Mun

-return to Kerbin

-stop the timer

Timer: You can use any timer you want, but I recommend WSplit.

Rules:

-you must have at least one kerbal in a pod

-no mods

-no debug console

-your ship must not have any part destroyed during the landings

-when you land on the Mun and on Kerbin, you must have 0.0m/s and throttle must be at 0% before you launch/stop the timer

-you must start building your rocket on a new save file, you can't alter the position of the Mun before building your rocket

-only videos allowed (video must be an unaltered screen capture that contains the full run)

Leaderboard:

1st - Aphobius -

Edited by Aphobius

Sorry for that, I wasn't very clear. You can have more stages, but you can't have any part destroyed during the landings (for example you can't crash into the ground with 50m/s when you return to kerbin). My english is not very good and I don't know how to formulate that rule better.

Also, could we see your submission too? Not required but good ettiquette.

I'm at work right now, I'll post an entry in a few hours, when I get home.

EDIT: Ok, replaced "run" with "landings" in that rule

Edited by Aphobius

Thank you for your intention of participation. :)

From what I know, WSplit doesn't have a website and the only place where I found it looks a little ... fishy, a random file uploaded to mediafire. I thought it's better if everyone is using whatever timer they want or download WSplit from wherever they think it's safer.

Time, 10:26, but it doesn't matter because it fails at the end anyways. But I said I'd do a submission and I did. However, if this becomes real competitive it should be noted that your time is affected directly by your load time to the pad, not a huge amount but a little. And enough in a close race.

Thank you for participating. I would add your time to the leaderboard, but if we are allowed to destroy parts during the landing, it can be abused pretty bad, like using girders and crash without parachutes and I think even the pod of my lander would have survived without parachutes.

That loading time should be about the same on all computers. But to be honest I was playing the game from a RAM drive, hoping it was going to help at least a little.

Yup, I'm aware of the rules. I was aiming to land on ... well, land. Luckily KSP warp caused me to pass through the planet not once, but twice! I may give it another shot later, though after watching how you did it I think you've found a pretty quick method and it seems silly to try, since it would just become a game of who can navigate the interface quickest :P

Yeah, I've ... refined my procedure pretty well. Even time warp is not a problem anymore, I've seen that you've also found that trick when you arrive at the Mun, so it's not about skill anymore.

The only skills required are navigating the interface xD and the landing on the Mun. Nothing else requires any skill.

EDIT: AHAHAHAHA, I forgot, another useful skill for this challenge ... being able to build a good pc to get a fast loading time. =)) =))

Also I think I can launch with 4x physics warp if I overclock my cpu.

Edited by Aphobius

• 4 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Good news everybody!!! Scott Manley announced his participation in my challenge!

It looks like finally I'll get some competition, I can't wait for his entry.

Note: Click the picture to see the comments on youtube.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.