Kerbin Shipping Lanes...

AlamoVampire

I was just finishing up a mission and watching it reenter from the comfort of my tracking station when something caught my eye. I looked at the globe I was presented in the TS and it hit me. There is only 1 transoceanic path on Kerbin that links both the western and eastern hemispheres and its down by the southern polar ice cap. Take a look, this is the ONLY path to cross the planet via water ways...

mmgb.png

Well, judging by the career mode unlock progression, looks like they had rockets before even knowing how to start a fire. :P

They also build a spaceplane Hanger, Runway, AND an Island Airport before even knowing what an airplane is...

Also, are boats even practical on Kerbin? There's no wind for sailing ships, and even JET boats have a hard time not disintegrating. I think cars would be better... *looks at Tech Tree* Oh, wait...

Edited by RocketPilot573

Well, judging by the career mode unlock progression, looks like they had rockets before even knowing how to start a fire. :P

Notes from the Hairdresser's Fire Development Subcommittee:

We've had a breakthrough. We're pretty sure that this new development can not be fitted nasally, but it is showing some possible potential in the transportation market. Further research will need to be done.

Notes from the Hairdresser's Fire Development Subcommittee:

We've had a breakthrough. We're pretty sure that this new development can not be fitted nasally, but it is showing some possible potential in the transportation market. Further research will need to be done.

naturally, it is vitally important that we do sufficient market research and surveys to ensure that there is any consumer interest in fire. What do people want out of fire? How much will people be willing to pay for it?

What sort of image, in fact, does fire have for them?

They also build a spaceplane Hanger, Runway, AND an Island Airport before even knowing what an airplane is...

Also, are boats even practical on Kerbin? There's no wind for sailing ships, and even JET boats have a hard time not disintegrating. I think cars would be better... *looks at Tech Tree* Oh, wait...

Well the Chinese had rockets before cars and planes too! Admittedly not ones capable of suborbital or crewed flight. :)

"Wait, what is THAT stuff coming out of the engine's nozzle???? Whoa! Interesting side effect!" :P

"Haha, this is so unrealistic and stupid and WAIT WAT HUMANS DID WORSE?"

Reality is so unrealistic sometimes... :D

The ancient Chinese, after inventing rockets, attempted a manned flight.

Not only were the rockets used in the military domain in the Ming Dynasty; there were also men's attempts to fly together with the rockets. The scholar Wan Hu in the Ming Dynasty, who is regarded as the originator of the manned rockets, was the trailblazer in doing experiments aimed at taking human being to space.

On the basis of his research about the boosting power generated by the rockets, he made a chair with 47 rockets, the maximum number that could possibly be tied to his chair. He tied himself to the chair, and held two big kites in each of his hands. Then he asked his assistants to fire the fuses of the 47 rockets at the same time, hoping to fly in the sky with the boosting power from the rockets and the kites

http://www.chinaculture.org/gb/en_madeinchina/2005-07/21/content_70826_4.htm

The flight was pure early Kerbal. It didn't go well.

It's actually impossible to circumnavigate Kerbin with a boat: http://www.kerbalmaps.com/

A Kanama kanal is urgently needed!

Think I found the best location for it:

sZ7FYM7.png

True you could put one closer to the equator; but with those two lakes at that location, it would be more economical. Especially when you consider that pesky space program, and the number of pods and debris re-entering along the equator or in its vicinity.

At that location the canal would probably be a series of smaller ones (likely Locks like Panama, separating the slightly different relative altitudes of "Sea level" on either side of the continent) which would probably each be about 10km and 50 km long (respectively, for the west, small far west, and eastern, lakes).

Another interesting question to postulate would be, what region of the world fills the role like that of the Mediterranean Sea?

I circled inland seas that fit roughly into the latitude range of the Mediterranean. The blue line is the likely location of a canal, which would be about 45km overland at it's longest stretch. Purple is the likely route of an icebreaking ocean route, which would be about 50km long and potentially an alternative to an overland canal.

fodyXBg.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.