[1.8+] Real Fuels

NathanKell

@NathanKell Have you thought about doing Procedural nosecones? That would be fantastic, because then we could make Stretchy SRB's any size we wanted to.

Though less then ideal (higher part count) this can currently be accomplished using an egg shaped procedural fairing with no payload. This is not a solution, but it works until someone does this.

Already been talking with Nothke. :)

And i want to inform of you that EI has completed the support for ModuleEnginesFX by writting a wrapper to populate function calls/member access. (Though not tested yet)

:P And... i'm not hastening you. I know this might need some time (e.g. different ambient pressures give different shapes of flame FX, different fuel types give different color/texture/transparency of flame FX, etc...) but that indeed will be gorgeous.

Re nuclear engines. has anyone had problems with the squad or KSPX NTRs working as generators? I.e. bimodal (or trimodal for the LANTR)? I'm seeing some odd behavior in reported power consumption. Not sure if the GUI is wrong or if they just arent generating power.

Re nuclear engines. has anyone had problems with the squad or KSPX NTRs working as generators? I.e. bimodal (or trimodal for the LANTR)? I'm seeing some odd behavior in reported power consumption. Not sure if the GUI is wrong or if they just arent generating power.

I have this issue too. The ModuleGenerator seems to be broken. Even if i change it *NOT* to be alwaysActive and later switch it on by context menu, the efficiency of it is always 0.00. And i cannot get any electricity which then results to lose of control of my unmanned ship.

OH. DUH.

It's the 1e-5 curse.

No resource request for <1e-5 units of a resource will ever complete, it will return "sorry, no resource" and fail. So the generator will fail since it uses so little nuc fuel. Blah.

So perhaps we need to change the way NuclearFuel/Waste (BTW why we don't have capital "N"?) density & volume are used.

We might need to use milliliter(or even smaller one) as the volume unit for them, and reduce the density accordingly...

OH. DUH.

It's the 1e-5 curse.

No resource request for <1e-5 units of a resource will ever complete, it will return "sorry, no resource" and fail. So the generator will fail since it uses so little nuc fuel. Blah.

I was afraid of that. Just looked at my quicksave and NO NFuel consumption and NO waste production. So that is THE absolute bare minimum consumption rate? And presumably waste production rate?

Pfffff.....

Am i the only one whos inconvenienced by the multiple decimal places in fuels? Theres too many. it gets down to like hundreds of thousanths of a liter which is like less than what leaks out through various cracks before launch anyways. I think 2 decimal places is plenty. The rest get in the way and make changing fuel amounts confusing.

Yeah, there was a recent version which rounded it so there weren't decimals at all. It was much "cleaner". I liked it!

Maybe it was removed for testing with all the 0.23 changes and was left like that?

On the other hand, it also breaks scaling stretchy tanks. ;)

Starwater, HoneyFox: Yeah, until (a) they put it back the way it was (hah), or (B) Majiir or whoever finishes the stock resource transfer replacement system, then I guess we're stuck lowering the density and upping the units.

That's one reason why I was very glad I went with liters rather than m^3 btw; if I'd gone with m^3 then RCS would fail to work.

Changelog:

v4.2 = \/

*Added fix to BobCat Soviet Engines until the original pack is updated.

*Added fix to prevent exception when RF module loads before the module it's controlling.

*Added fix to allow RF to work with RCS Sounds mod

*taniwha: fixed exception with prefabs; root parts can now be edited.

*updated to ModuleManager v1.5.6

With mega thanks to Draft for being my guinea-pig where RCS Sounds is concerned!

Ever since I updated to 4.2, it seems that engines have become unconfigurable. I can configure all of the tanks, but the engines don't even have menu come up when I click on them in the action group menu.

Did you removed Real Fuels Folder completely before installing 4.2? And then forgot to add the Engine config? That would explain it

Did you removed Real Fuels Folder completely before installing 4.2? And then forgot to add the Engine config? That would explain it

4.2 fixed many game breaking problems, thanks!

however, my own engine config for the space shuttle engines mod (making it use H2 and produce realistic thrust) doesn't work anymore? It used to but now the engine config box (via action groups menu) appears but there's no text inside, it's just empty :/ My other engines work though now thanks!

RSS, RF, RO, JB engines

4.2 fixed many game breaking problems, thanks!

however, my own engine config for the space shuttle engines mod (making it use H2 and produce realistic thrust) doesn't work anymore? It used to but now the engine config box (via action groups menu) appears but there's no text inside, it's just empty :/ My other engines work though now thanks!

RSS, RF, RO, JB engines

Well no idea, there you have to ask NathanKell, maybe a bug.

OH. DUH.

It's the 1e-5 curse.

Where does that value come from? I've got it working as low as 1.0E-14

And to stave off any parsing issues like happened with solar panels in RSS, I'm representing it that way in the config.

TheFluffiestThing: You didn't delete your ModularFuelTanks folder first...remember, when upgrading my mods, you have to delete old the folder(s) first, then unzip the new install. And RealFuels, per OP, is the successor to MFS (which lives in the ModularFuelTanks folder).

pingopete: post the config. I'll take a look.

Starwaster: testing. It might only apply to ALL_VESSEL resources though?

i

TheFluffiestThing: You didn't delete your ModularFuelTanks folder first...remember, when upgrading my mods, you have to delete old the folder(s) first, then unzip the new install. And RealFuels, per OP, is the successor to MFS (which lives in the ModularFuelTanks folder).

pingopete: post the config. I'll take a look.

Starwaster: testing. It might only apply to ALL_VESSEL resources though?

quite possible. Could set it to stack search to test that notion though I can see that breaking The way people are used to doing things....