[1.8+] Real Fuels

NathanKell

Ok so I installed the config, only to be disappointed how overpowered it makes the game(probably because the .cfg was configured for the real solar system pack. Does anyone have a config for the stock gravity and size, and supports KwRocketry, NovaPunch, and AIES Aerospace?

Edited by Titan Space Agency

I used the one in the second post, labeled as "Stock" by chest, but I was getting like 5000 m/s of deltaV with the second smallest fuel tank in KW and the stock engine that produces 30 thrust, using kerosene and LOX.

Without a payload on it? Sounds reasonable. You'd get the same in stock, delta V is proportional to the natural log of the mass fraction after all. A fuel tank with an engine on it will have a lot of dV.

Without a payload on it? Sounds reasonable. You'd get the same in stock, delta V is proportional to the natural log of the mass fraction after all. A fuel tank with an engine on it will have a lot of dV.

Oh I had a little stayputnick satellite on it, but it still weighs very light. maybe I just misjudged it. :blush:

Quick question.

How do those heat sink fins work? When I install them and turn them on they get hotter.

Isn't that what should happen? If they're getting hotter they have to be pulling heat from somewhere else (energy can not be created nor destroyed yada yada).

They should pull heat away. But even sitting on the ground with nothing on except the heat pumps they generate heat. They don't pull anything away.

Edited by Hodo

Quick question.

How do those heat sink fins work? When I install them and turn them on they get hotter.

Isn't that what should happen? If they're getting hotter they have to be puling heat from somewhere else (energy can not be created nor destroyed yada yada).

It's incorrect behavior considering how KSP's thermal dynamics work.

The game will replace any heat just as quickly as the heat pump moved it out from the tank to the fins.

additionally, the system then turns around and tries to spread the heat around which effectively means it moves it BACK into the fuel tank. Increasing heat pump transfer values can actually result in the destruction of the heat pump and possibly the tank as well.

Nathan and I have talked about this and what we'd like to do is replace the existing KSP heat system with one of our own devising. This can be done but I think both of us have too much on our plates to get around to it.

I do have a workaround temporary solution and I'll post it later tonight. Basically changes the heat pump behavior and other heating behaviors. I never finished it to my satisfaction but the incomplete solution works too.

It's incorrect behavior considering how KSP's thermal dynamics work.

The game will replace any heat just as quickly as the heat pump moved it out from the tank to the fins.

additionally, the system then turns around and tries to spread the heat around which effectively means it moves it BACK into the fuel tank. Increasing heat pump transfer values can actually result in the destruction of the heat pump and possibly the tank as well.

Nathan and I have talked about this and what we'd like to do is replace the existing KSP heat system with one of our own devising. This can be done but I think both of us have too much on our plates to get around to it.

I do have a workaround temporary solution and I'll post it later tonight. Basically changes the heat pump behavior and other heating behaviors. I never finished it to my satisfaction but the incomplete solution works too.

Great, I can't wait. I will be clearing my KSP and starting a fresh install to clear up any bugs I am currently seeing. Which is unfortunate but meh, thats KSP.

Im new to Real Fuels, but ive used all three suggested configs and none seem to support stock jet engine or srb modification, am i correct in assuming that this is intended behavior?

on a side note the one engine i cannot get to work that i did expect to do so was the trimodal LV-N, for some reason the tweak box comes up in action groups, but it has no options within it, despite the fact that "Squad_NTR_modularEngines.cfg" seems to have code for it

Edited by Shrike99

Hello NathanKell,

I'm using your mod to add different configurations to engines. And I have a question: If some thruster has has "ModuleEngines" node and "ModuleResourceIntake" node, can I, using your mode change both of these parameters with one configuration button? If yes, then please point me in the right direction (and right file if you have done same things).

Great, I can't wait. I will be clearing my KSP and starting a fresh install to clear up any bugs I am currently seeing. Which is unfortunate but meh, thats KSP.

Sorry, still haven't got to this. Took a look at GitHub and realized that the code base has changed quite a bit. It's not a big deal for me but it means that what I have is out of date so I still have to pull the new code and make my changes there instead of giving you something with outdated code. And I haven't gotten to that yet :(

Im new to Real Fuels, but ive used all three suggested configs and none seem to support stock jet engine or srb modification, am i correct in assuming that this is intended behavior?

on a side note the one engine i cannot get to work that i did expect to do so was the trimodal LV-N, for some reason the tweak box comes up in action groups, but it has no options within it, despite the fact that "Squad_NTR_modularEngines.cfg" seems to have code for it

Not intended. Jet engines haven't been gotten to yet. SRB... if you use Stretchy SRB you can modify those SRBs.

Hello NathanKell,

I'm using your mod to add different configurations to engines. And I have a question: If some thruster has has "ModuleEngines" node and "ModuleResourceIntake" node, can I, using your mode change both of these parameters with one configuration button? If yes, then please point me in the right direction (and right file if you have done same things).

MF doesn't do anything with intakes.

Ok, this is for Hodo and anyone else wishing to use radiators / heat pumps, etc.

HeatPumpFix

The folder has the dll and the source file that was changed.

It's not the full source for Real Fuels, just to show what was changed and fulfill Squad's transparency requirements. It carries the same license as Real Fuels itself, which is to say that you're free to do what you want as long as you attribute the source and include the disclaimer that Ialdobaoth, Nathan Kell, Starwaster, et al are a bunch of hoopy froods who really know where their towels are at.

Instructions!

Replace existing modularFuelTanks.dll

Consider editing the heat fin part.cfg or any other radiator using ModuleHeatPump and changing or adding any, all or none of the following: (in the ModuleHeatPump section)

heatConductivity = 0.12 // Best to leave this alone Experiment at your own risk
heatDissipation = 0.12 // Best to leave this alone. Experiment at your own risk
heatTransfer = 1.0 // Multiplier that controls how much heat is removed from the thing being cooled
heatGain = 0.0 // How much of the removed heat gets added to the heat pump / radiator.

Those are the default values. heatConductivity and heatDissipation are actually stock Part properties that are normally inaccessible. I've made them accessible for the radiator part by changing/adding the properties to the ModuleHeatPump section. The one that comes with RealFuels has a value of 0.05 for heatDissipation. I'm not really sure what the effects will be if you leave it in place. In general (given KSP stock heat model behavior) it will be very slow to gain or shed heat. I'd remove it because that means it will be slow to get rid of any heat it gains from the fuel tank / part that you put the radiator on.

I haven't tested this since injecting it into the current code base but it should work given the success I had with it in the past. Experiments with heatConductivity / heatDissipation did not go well which is why you shouldn't play with those values unless you're using it in a test environment and don't give a dang about what happens to your ships or the Kerbals on them.

Is there a reason my hypergolics fuels with a capable engine (A9R from rfts pack) wont relight? The engine says specifically that it has infinite relights with this type of fuel. Any ideas what the issue could be? I am using the ignition mod obviously, didn't know under which to post...

Is there a reason my hypergolics fuels with a capable engine (A9R from rfts pack) wont relight? The engine says specifically that it has infinite relights with this type of fuel. Any ideas what the issue could be? I am using the ignition mod obviously, didn't know under which to post...

How's the fuel flow state? is it stable or not? If it's not, you might need to take some ullage measures.

Ok, thanks for clearing that up, i was reasonably sure that they weren't supposed to be configurable

on to the Trimodal Ntr then, is anyone else able to configure it properly?

Oops sorry I missed that part of your question. There's a bug that was introduced in the very latest Real Fuels update that broke the hybrid engine code that the trimodals depend on.

I just had a notion though that perhaps the RAPIER module could be appropriated as a workaround until Nathan gets around to the next update.... It wouldn't be a perfect solution but I think it's workable....

I'll have to look into that. (or maybe I could look into the hybrid problem itself.... hrmmm)

Ok I read up on the problem and I used 2 seperatrons as ullage motors and got a very stable flow to no avail, thinking about taking out the engine ignition mod but I cant remember what I changed when I added it, Maybe ill keep messing with it.